Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Flying long haul while pregnant

(14 Posts)
Myusername2015 Sun 20-Nov-16 17:04:29

Hi; we are thinking about getting a weeks holiday to the USA in to see family before baby number 1 gets here...as a teacher I'm limited by dates so would be going in February at 21/22 weeks....anyone flown long haul at this time? i know there are so many variables but assuming all is going to plan do you think it's feasible? Thanks for any advice.

Oysterbabe Sun 20-Nov-16 17:05:37

You'll be fine but just make sure you have great travel insurance incase there are any issues.

Motherfuckers Sun 20-Nov-16 17:07:11

I am sure that would be fine, I flew regularly right through my pregnancy.

noveltysocks Sun 20-Nov-16 18:48:53

You'll be fine — my girlfriend flew long-haul (London to San Francisco) at around that time. It was totally fine both ways. My only advice would be book an aisle seat if possible and make sure you walk around regularly.

stealthbanana Sun 20-Nov-16 19:22:22

Absolutely fine. I flew long haul regularly up to 32w with no problems. Wear compression socks, drink lots of water and move around the cabin (this is for you, not baby - the risk is that you get dvt as you have lots more blood than normal). And enjoy!

Uiscebeatha85 Sun 20-Nov-16 19:53:47

Stealth gave great advice above. I flew Manchester to Cape Town at 31 weeks and it was fine. Drank water, socks and moved about and actually came off the flight less swollen than I would have not pregnant. You'll be fine at 21 weeks, you won't even need a fit to fly letter

cnchapmanxx Sun 20-Nov-16 20:36:35

You will be fine! We flew to LA, San Fran and Vegas when I was about 12 weeks. Then to turkey when I was 28 weeks. I just drank lots of fluids, went to the toilet a lot, had a good walk about the plane and wore flight socks!
Enjoy your trip!

Bellabelloo Sun 20-Nov-16 22:19:41

I flew long haul quite a few times until about 27 weeks pregnant. My doctor gave me blood thinning injections to protect me agains DVT but apart from that i was fine. Let your insurance provider know, but as long as your doctor is happy with you flying there shouldn't be a problem.

sycamore54321 Mon 21-Nov-16 03:58:20

As others have said, declare you pregnancy to the insurer before you buy your policy and purchase the best possible cover - even if this means scrimping elsewhere in the holiday budget. Priority number 2 for money would be the most roomy seat you can afford - business class if possible, then premium economy, or whatever gives you most legroom and definitely an aisle seat. Your risk of DVT is massively increased beyond your non-pregnant state and you do not want to take any chances. Follow all the guidelines for moving about, hydration etc to the letter.

Ask your doctor or midwife if you can get higher-grade compression socks - the ordinary flight socks may not be enough. If they don't recommend anything specific, ask your pharmacist and make sure oh are measured and correctly fitted for them.

Obviously everyone is different but Personally I would only risk long haul to visit family, not just a general holiday, so that if something did happen necessitating a longer stay, then you have something of a support network nearby. If you did develop DVT or PE for example, it could potentially be weeks or months before you were cleared for the flight home. Not to mention any risks of premature labour, etc. So think very carefully before you book.

And check, check, check again your insurance policy, including coverage while abroad and terms for cancelling the holiday in advance if needs be.

catgee Mon 21-Nov-16 04:00:34

You should be fine. I flew long haul Sydney to Manchester and back at 20 weeks. As pps have said, just make sure you check the airline policy and your travel insurance, wear flight socks to reduce risk of swelling/DVT, drink plenty of water and get up as often as you can and walk the aisles.

Slumberparty Mon 21-Nov-16 19:31:39

What Stealth said. I did a 12 hour flight at 31 weeks. I wore some seriously ugly flight socks, drank lots of water and moved around as much as I could. Luckily it was a night flight so not many others moving around. I flew premium economy which was ok but I was quite restless and couldn't sleep. No issues though.

Bubbinsmakesthree Mon 21-Nov-16 20:48:06

I flew long haul around this time just for a last child-free jaunt (which was great!). As others have said just take extra precautions against DVT (compression socks, hydration, plenty of movement) and you should be fine. It'll be years and years before you can fly long haul as easily again so seize the opportunity!

Oopsypoopsy Mon 21-Nov-16 22:10:22

That should be fine as long as you're low risk. I flew at 31 weeks with my first and I've got 2 long hauls booked with the 3rd and I'll be 29 and then 31 weeks for them. Go for it! x

Bertucci Mon 21-Nov-16 22:13:02

I flew to Miami (is that long haul? It's about 9 hours) when I was 28 weeks and back again at 30.

No problems at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now