Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Polyhydramnios 35 weeks pregnant

(4 Posts)
Alwayswaiting Sun 20-Nov-16 15:56:19

I'm currently 35 weeks pregnant with DC3. Previous two pregnancies were straight forward, no ante natal issues.

Post natally with DC2 I developed sepsis due to group b strep, didn't pass this on to my son during labour thank goodness, but it meant I missed the first few weeks of his life due to me being so unwell.

During this spell in hospital, they found a large cyst on my right ovary and the plan was to have it removed this October, but I became pregnant, and they've monitored it through the pregnancy.

On Thursday I went for a check up scan, the cyst is 12cm, evidence that it was also been bleeding, it's been giving me some discomfort. They've also diagnosed me with polyhydramnios during this scan, and I'm going back in 2 weeks to be scanned again. With advice that my waters could go earlier, if this happens call an ambulance, if I get acute pain from the cyst, call an ambulance. If I'm going into labour, I need to get to hospital and have 4hrs of antibiotics before the baby is born because of the group b strep.

Following this, I have an appointment with the consultant. I'm becoming more concerned the pregnancy is risky for the baby. If the waters go and the cord distends, I'm assuming this could kill her whilst I wait to get to hospital?

I'm not sure I want to pursue a vaginal birth like my previous pregnancies because I feel it's too risky for the baby, and I can't shake this feeling.

Am I being unreasonable to want a caesarean and baby to be born at 38 weeks in a safe way, and not sit at home, waiting to go into natural labour in case something adverse happens?

I realise that recovery from c section is going to be much more difficult, but I just want the baby here safely.

Slumberparty Mon 21-Nov-16 19:56:00

A friend of mine was in a similar situation a few years ago. She really had to fight for a c-section and to get them to remove the cyst at the same time. They did agree to it in the end though. If you would prefer a c-section then insist on one.
As for the polyhydramnios (think I spelt that wrong) you don't say how severe it is as I know there are different degrees of it. I was told at 29 weeks that I was borderline polyhydramnious but at another scan 3 weeks later the amniotic fluid levels were back to normal so one thing to hang on to is that it can possibly right itself.

KatamariDamacy Mon 21-Nov-16 20:17:53

I had polyhydramnios but not your other conditions.

I was concerned that I was more at risk of a prolapsed cord than the next woman with polyhydramnios, iyswim, because my waters had gone pre-labour with both my previous children, and they were both nothing like engaged.

The hospital offered to admit me to await labour, which I declined. They also offered to induce me at 39 weeks, which I accepted.

It's a conversation worth having.

Alwayswaiting Tue 22-Nov-16 11:38:55

Hi both, thanks for replying. My AFI is 36 according to my records, which is quite high I think? I'm also worried about cord prolapse because of the risk of brain damage to the baby. As well as the cyst and GBS, it just feels it's becoming risky to the baby and I want her to be born in the safest way possible. I think I will try and press for a section, but I'll have to go with what they say I guess :-s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now