Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby failed hearing test at a day old.

(60 Posts)
SashaSays Sat 19-Nov-16 23:04:29

Hi everyone, so I'm a very anxious person in general to start with. I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl yesterday at 10.09am she is the precious and I really adore her however i am extremely anxious. So to start with she has been puking up mucus which midwifes tell me is normal and just has collected from birth but i'm terrified of her choking in her sleep so I haven't slept since she was born. Anyways onto my main point, today her hearing was tested and she failed both tests. The lady who done it did tell me she could fail due to vernix or mucus in the ear but passage which is very very common as she was only born yesterday but still disheartening to hear,she came back to do the second test 3 hours after the first test had been done which made no sense at all..why would the mucus have cleared up in 3 hours? Surely a week or more. What scares me even more is there was a very loud noise yesterday which didn't seem to startle her but i have been watching her quite closely as i'm worried and but she has been reacting to sound all day so I'm just a bit scared. When I dropped my phone on the floor last night by accident she jumped I honestly feel so selfish for feeling this way as she was born perfect and a lot of other people have it a lot worse than i do. Anyone been through the same. Just need a hand hold i guess. Sorry didn't know where to post this

Nicketynac Sat 19-Nov-16 23:08:03

It's really common. Just relax and enjoy your baby and wait for a proper repeat test. (She might have came back after a few hours as if baby passed then a formal referral could be avoided)
Congratulations on your new arrival.

Thegiantofillinois Sat 19-Nov-16 23:09:33

I think both of mine the first tests-partly cos it was so noisy. Dc1 definitely failed, but like you, was obvious he could hear. We had to go back fir further tests and it t r transpires he has loss-barely enough to notice, but I make sure school know. We have to go twice a year to check for deterioration.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 19-Nov-16 23:10:33

Both my DS's failed the newborn hearing test and several tests after that. One wasn't fully discharged from the hearing department until 4 and the other 6. Try not to worry I think it's quite normal and even failing follow up tests doesn't mean there is an actual problem.

BenLinusatemyhomework Sat 19-Nov-16 23:11:10

Two of my four failed their newborn hearing tests a couple of times, it's not uncommon.

Try not to panic (easier said than done, I know). Even if she has hearing problems she is a) still perfect and b) it's not the end of the story and there will be treatment options so breathe and try and relax. You're ok, she's ok - things will work out one way or another... Oh and congratulations flowers.

Thegiantofillinois Sat 19-Nov-16 23:11:24

Mild hearing loss, I meant to say.

Whyhellodaffodil Sat 19-Nov-16 23:13:03

Same as above, my dd failed hers in one ear - I also think possibly as it was so noisy in the maternity ward! We had the repeat test a month (or so, I can't quite remember) later at the audiologists and all was fine. I really would try not to worry, I think it's really common.

Sweets101 Sat 19-Nov-16 23:14:10

DS did, he HD meconium in the waters when they broke. They said it was normal and they'd re do it in the community and he was fine.
If she's puking up a lot of mucus it's not beyond reasonable doubt there's some in her ears!

DearMrDilkington Sat 19-Nov-16 23:14:48

Very common to fail the hearing test. She probably had gunk in her ear still, my dds test was the same and her hearing is fine.

Don't stress about it at the moment, enjoy your new baby and congratulationsflowers.

GettingScaredNow Sat 19-Nov-16 23:16:02

Ds failed his. They came back next day and he passed, just. They did it on day 5 at home and all was fine.

Try not to fret. Enjoy these days. What will be will be.

Congratulations.flowers

monsterbookofty Sat 19-Nov-16 23:20:17

This is very common. 2 of my 3 dc failed theirs and they are all fine. smile

Rinceoir Sat 19-Nov-16 23:21:07

Mine failed both ears twice, then one ear twice more before eventually passing. She's 2.5now, she can hear a pin drop. (We were in hospital for ages as I was unwell so they just kept coming back until she passed!).

slenderisthenight Sat 19-Nov-16 23:21:35

My kids all failed the first hearing test. It's silly of them to have it so early.

I think your biggest challenge is finding some calmness.

MrsBungle Sat 19-Nov-16 23:22:03

My dd failed her newborn hearing test. She was referred to the hearing services and was tested numerous times until she was 2 when the declared she could hear absolutely fine but just didn't seem to react "normally" to their tests! To this day if, for example, a balloon pops near her so that every other person gets a fright, she doesn't react. Her hearing is perfect though!

ifcatscouldtalk Sat 19-Nov-16 23:24:51

I hope like others here I can reassure you. My daughter who is 12 now failed the hearing test too, at a day old. She wasn't retested for 6 weeks and I worried although suspected she could hear. Went to some clinic at 6 weeks (only then was I told how common this was) and some hospitals don't do the day old hearing test anymore. Anyway she passed the second hearing test and can fully work out a whispered conversation as I have discovered! Congrats OP. Please try not to get overly panicky, which I know is tough when you've just become a new mum. High chances are she's absolutely fine.

cocodidit1 Sat 19-Nov-16 23:24:56

Mine failed too, don't panic!
I don't know why they bother at such an early age.

Jinglebellsandv0dka Sat 19-Nov-16 23:30:14

Yep same here!

Also I had a c-section and dd2 was full of mucus. I actually pulled my stitches out pulling her on herside. I had a lovely midwife who helped me out her on her side.

The mucus does clear up but it takes a few days, I carried on putting dd on herside with a rolled up blanket either side of her so she couldn't roll backwards or forwards.

SashaSays Sat 19-Nov-16 23:38:52

Thank you soooo much everyone. I really have been reassured. Anytime there is a noise and she doesn't move I completely panic all over again. I just hope is okay tomorrow and i can finally enjoy being a mum to her! I didn't know how common failing this test was, why do they do it so young? Surely they should wait till atleast a month after birth.

SashaSays Sat 19-Nov-16 23:40:36

Oh and just some advice also. Due to her being mucusy i'm really scared to go sleep incase she chokes on it. Is there any way i can put her to prevent her from choking??

Inthenick Sat 19-Nov-16 23:41:26

Babies very rarely pass first time and even before discharge. My 3 did and every single time the checker person said 'that great, they don't usually pass in hospital spits licky you don't have to come back'.

WiltingTulip Sat 19-Nov-16 23:41:30

Mine failed his test on the first day, the next day, a week later, a month later and was the highest category of hearing impairment due to glue ear. They continued to monitor and test him and he had grommets put in at 9 months (he had another health issue which delayed it).

His hearing was tested about a month later and was perfect.

He's 3 now and my dh and I had completely forgotten until we were reminded the other day. His speech is really good - surprisingly (he is a very loud child though...)

Inthenick Sat 19-Nov-16 23:43:41

Shasha, regarding the mucus. I know babies seem like the most delicate things in the world but healthy newborns are a hell of a lot tougher than they look and they all have to deal with mucus. It's normal, nothing to worry about and baby is built to deal with it. So try to get some rest and not worry about things the nurses and doctors are not worried about.

WiltingTulip Sat 19-Nov-16 23:43:43

Oh, the test works better the younger they are. When mine was being tested regularly they preferred him asleep, as he got older and didn't sleep and brainwas more active they said the tests were less accurate.

Inthenick Sat 19-Nov-16 23:45:26

Oh and they test so young presumably on the hope that they can avoid a second trip for a newborn and recovering mum as they are already there and it takes seconds so they might as well.

SashaSays Sat 19-Nov-16 23:51:14

Oh so that's why they test so young. I'm reassured knowing this is common but still worried sick. I'm having a different type of test done tomorrow and i hope she passes this time, i think the headphone test. Thinking about it makes me just tear up and i can imagine she's a lot tougher than she looks but its just when i see her puking up quite a fair amount of it, i'm just soo scared to even take my eye off of her as I don't want her to be in discomfort and I can't help her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now