Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Second pregnancy after c-section

(9 Posts)
IrnBrufan Thu 17-Nov-16 15:34:15


I am pregnant with baby#2 and have a meeting with the hospital tomorrow to discuss plan for birth
Baby#1 was breech therefore planned section.
There will only be 20 months between my children.
Midwife said due to not being long between births, I'm at higher risk of uterus rupturing as internally I won't have healed completely.
This makes me think another planned section is the way to go - but 2/3 days in hospital away from my child then the recovery time with having a toddler and a baby is also a factor.

Has anyone has a natural birth after a section in quite quick succession? Does anyone have any advice about the best way forward?

I'm worried that the decision is make tomorrow is the final decision and what happens if I change my mind? Also worried about being talked into something in later not comfortable with. I just can't get the image of the existing scar bursting open as I push confused

VeganMama83 Thu 17-Nov-16 16:26:32

I had a section with my first and presumed I'd have to have another with my second as they are only 13 months apart but I managed a vbac. I'm really glad I did. Second was born on Saturday and went home Sunday afternoon. You could get out sooner if all went ok. We had to stay in a bit longer til DS2 had done a certain amount of wee as he has a kidney issue picked that was picked up in scans.

You might be quite similar to me in that altho my section for my first was an emergency one it was because of reduced movement not due to failure to progress etc so the chances of a vaginal birth for your second are the same as if you were having your first baby (that's what the vbac midwife told me and gave me info about).

Hope that helps!

TheWiseOldElf Thu 17-Nov-16 16:33:11

I had a vbac 15 months after my section. A repeat section wasn't recommended to me. My section was for failure to progress. I was induced with dd2 but managed a successful vbac.

chloechloe Thu 17-Nov-16 19:11:15

I'm in a similar situation to you - had a CS with the first and am expecting my second 21 months later. When DD1 was born I was told I should wait 12m before getting pregnant again.

At my hospital (in Germany though) they are fine with me having a VBAC but they advise against having an induction or epidural. Induction apparently can cause the scar to strain unexpectedly and too quickly whereas an epidural means you wouldn't feel any pain which would warn of a rupture. I guess each hospital is different though and the practices in the U.K. may well be different.

IrnBrufan Fri 18-Nov-16 14:47:48

Thanks ladies grin

bonzo77 Fri 18-Nov-16 15:03:21

3 sections here. With my second I was actually discharged after less than 24 hrs, but allowed to stay as they were quiet and baby was in nicu. Third discharged after 36 hrs but had to stay as baby needed a scan. TBH I enjoyed the rest! Lots to be said for a planned CS, not least that organising child care is easier, and the duration of the birth is more of a known quantity, once you are in theatre, chances are you'll Have the baby and be back on the ward within 90 minutes or so. Where I had mine they're keen on "accelerated recovery" i.e. Once the catheter is out and you've had a wee they'll send you home if baby is ok.

Nottalotta Fri 18-Nov-16 19:18:54

Also interested in this, similar position, ds was breech so had elcs. He will be 18 months when this baby is born. I am yet to see anyone about birthing plan, vbac etc. Although I asked the consultant and he said the increase of chance of scar rupturing due to short time between births, is negligible.

My c section was great. But I really worry about the recover with a very active toddler. I also worry about vbac going wrong, being horrendous, tears, emergency c section etc......

Kerala2712 Mon 28-Nov-16 01:21:51

Consequences of uterine rupture can be very severe- emergency hysterectomy, massive blood loss, oxygen deprivation/brain damage/death to baby, its not common, but on average 1 in 200. Whatever you decide make sure you know the full consequences either way.

Helethan Mon 28-Nov-16 02:00:25

I had a horrible emergency c.s with my first. Really traumatic, long recovery etc. I had an elective with my second and it couldn't have been more different. I stayed in 1 night and was allowed home in the morning. My recovery was amazing compared to the first time. I was out and about really quickly. The pain was nothing compared to last time.
Ultimately, you have to do what you feel is best for you but don't feel pressured. If you choose an elective, you can change your mind. Good luck xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now