Talk

Advanced search

Antidepressants and pregnancy (citralopram)

(8 Posts)
Djmarbella Thu 17-Nov-16 09:54:18

Morning all!
Had 2 BFP a couple of days ago and me and hubby are so happy, but as you all im sure know we have a million questions!
Ive been on citralopram since i was 14 (i am now 30, i know a LONG time) in the past when i forgot them on holiday i fainted and was sick so had to fly the tablets out. This has obviously scared me from completely stopping them. Over the past few years i have been able to reduce them to 10mg every other day. Now that we are expecting ive heard i shouldnt be taking them so any advice would be great. 1st scan is next week smile

PlinkPlonkPlunk Thu 17-Nov-16 09:55:45

Congratulations! Best to see your GP. Some antidepressants are safer in pregnancy than others, so they may want to switch you to a different one. Don't stop taking them without speaking to your doctor.

MrsMarigold Thu 17-Nov-16 09:58:06

Congratulations, I've been on Citalopram for at least 12 years. I had it in pregnancy, I have two healthy, happy children.

GreedyDuck Thu 17-Nov-16 10:18:22

Several of my friends took it throughout, at a higher dosage than you are on, and they and their babies were absolutely fine.

I was on 10mg when I got pregnant, but ran out during my first trimester and just didn't bother to get another prescription filled as I felt fine. I'd been on them for around 15 years, but that was 2.5 years ago and I haven't needed them since, which is nice.

Desmondo2016 Thu 17-Nov-16 13:01:42

I was on Citalopram when I got pregnant and on my doctors (possibly incorrect) advice I stopped taking them 'cold turkey'. I've managed (just about ) not to need to go back on them but have been told that if I do, it will be Sertraline, not Citalopram that I go on to. Everyone seems to get slightly different advice and I know of several people who have been allowed to stay on them, especially at low dosage like yours.

sjj257 Fri 18-Nov-16 22:41:28

I stopped them when I found out I was pregnant, probably shouldn't have done. Struggled and was prescribed them by a registrar at 15 weeks, however got myself all worked up and didn't dare take them. I'm now just over 31 weeks and I'm starting to feel anxious that I may suffer from PND once the baby comes. The doctor I saw at the hospital 3 weeks ago suggested I think about going back on them for the last couple of months of my pregnancy so I don't have such a drastic crash after the birth. She has said citalopram are fine.

raviolidreaming Fri 18-Nov-16 22:53:53

10mg every other day

Is that even a therapeutic dose? I think you're doing all the hard work yourself already anyway smile

user1482347790 Wed 21-Dec-16 19:34:22

I'm having the same dilema although I am on a much higher dose to you! I've been on Citalopram for many years now and like you have found it very difficult to come off but I'm scared to get pregnant on Citalopram due to the potential effects it could have on the baby.

Just out of curiosity what did you decide to do in the end??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now