Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone not found out their baby's gender until birth? How did you find it?

(94 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Wed 16-Nov-16 22:47:35

Currently 22 weeks pregnant and due Dc3 in march. We were planning on finding out the sex, however, at my scan yesterday the baby was turned backwards with the legs locked together and no visible bits at all grin

We were planning on having another scan but having talked about it, now we're thinking maybe a surprise would be nice.

We already have a boy and girl so it's not like we're wishing for one or the other. We have all our equipment already so only need to buy clothes for the new arrival.

Did anyone regret not finding out? Will I drive myself mad with not knowing?

Veggiesupremeextracheese Wed 16-Nov-16 22:49:04

I didn't find out with my last 2, and although it's really tempting to find out, it's so amazing finding out at the birth smile. I would definitely leave it as a surprise!

mylittlephoney Wed 16-Nov-16 22:49:47

Never regretted not finding out. Their are so few real suprises in life. In my birth plan I even made it a point that dh would be the one to tell me after he was born. Such a fab moment.

OhTheRoses Wed 16-Nov-16 22:50:38

Ours are much older but we could have known and said no. There is something utterly magical about finding out at birth. I can't describe it but something I wouldn't have missed for the world.

moomoogalicious Wed 16-Nov-16 22:51:03

I didn't find out for any of my 3. Lovely to have the surprise

anonymice Wed 16-Nov-16 22:51:17

Did not find out. Did not regret it at all. Was lovely finding out at the birth.

slenderisthenight Wed 16-Nov-16 22:52:35

I did find out and needed to prepare myself for possible disappointment and sort of talk myself into that gender being the one I wanted (which I had time to do and which worked). So for me, it's better that I know beforehand.

CashelGirl Wed 16-Nov-16 22:52:51

I didn't find out and I enjoyed all the guessing while I was pregnant. It was also lovely announcing their births and sharing the surprise with everyone. My friend has had three babies, found out with her first two and didn't with her last one and she said she preferred knowing. So, there you go!

lightcola Wed 16-Nov-16 22:52:52

We didn't, and we won't this time. It was brilliant, I don't see how you could regret that. We also did it so my DH told me what he was; it really made him feel like he had a part.

Itsnottheendoftheworld Wed 16-Nov-16 22:53:02

I wasn't going to find out. But I decided I couldn't choose a boys name and a girls name and wonder all the time. I personally felt a suprise at a scan or suprise at birth same difference.
You could ask for it in an envelope then you have the choice if you change your mind.
Congrats on baby

ipswichwitch Wed 16-Nov-16 22:53:27

We didn't find out for both our DC. Was lovely being handed DS1 and the midwife saying "congratulations it's a boy!". With DS2 they handed him over and said "have a look!" which was nice too.

We had always said we weren't going to find out at the scan, partly because we weren't bothered what we had anyway, but also because we wanted the surprise and we're vet glad we did. Made no difference to how we decorated the room anyway, since it was green.

MarklahMarklah Wed 16-Nov-16 22:53:31

I didn't find out ahead of time. I genuinely didn't mind either way - I was just glad to have a baby after years of trying. One of the few surprises in life.

middlings Wed 16-Nov-16 22:53:34

I didn't find out with either of mine. We have two girls. We had names for both scenarios both times. I was very pleased I hadn't found out!

JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 16-Nov-16 22:53:54

I had the most lovely surprise. We had chosen 2 girl and 2 boy names and had agreed that my husband would pick whichever one suited the baby best if I had a section, and that I would if I gave birth vaginally. In the end I had an EMCS under general anaesthetic and when I came round my husband showed me our baby and said "BabyP this is your mummy" . He had given her my favourite of the two name choices.

FastWindow Wed 16-Nov-16 22:54:15

I never wanted to know at the scan but found it strangely interesting that there was one person who did know, who was a complete stranger - the sonographer. They know virtually every baby's gender except the leg crossers smile

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Wed 16-Nov-16 22:54:27

Both times i decided not to find out. Best surprises in the world :-)

JosephineMaynard Wed 16-Nov-16 22:55:36

Didn't find out with DS1.

At the 20 week scan, he had his legs crossed so that it was impossible for anyone to tell. We had some extra scans after that so could have found out but had changed our mind about finding out by then.

No regrets.

TaggySits Wed 16-Nov-16 22:56:22

I didn't find out with any of mine and it was always such a lovely moment discovering if we had a new little son or daughter. Was very tempted to find out (especially with my last pregnancy) but was so glad I didn't.

elliejjtiny Wed 16-Nov-16 22:57:19

I didn't find out with DS2, I wanted to try it both ways (I found out with DS1). Found out with DS3, didn't with DS4, found out with DS5. My sister had great fun winding my mum up by telling her we'd told her but made her promise not to tell.

I don't regret not finding out but I'm glad I did know with DS5. I was very poorly afterwards and couldn't remember what day it was half the time for several days after the birth. I remembered he was a boy and his name because we knew beforehand. I think I would have forgotten if it was new information, which would have been quite scary. It was bad enough not remembering when DH was visiting or how ds5 was doing in NICU.

Mirandawest Wed 16-Nov-16 22:58:27

Didn't find out with either of mine. Don't think we thought about it with DS and although we did ask with DD she wasn't in a good position and we didn't try again.

The day before she was born, I had an appointment and the midwife was convinced due to the baby's heartbeat that it was a boy. Was quite surprising when DD appeared the next day grin

Very glad we didn't find out - would have felt odd knowing I think

Alyx80 Wed 16-Nov-16 22:59:19

We didn't find out with all four and I loved not knowing. The suspense and excitement was great and I loved finding out when they were born.

MakemineaGandT Wed 16-Nov-16 22:59:56

I didn't find out with no. 3 (had two boys already). It was a lovely surprise to have a girl - I was expecting boy 3 so much that I even forgot to look and midwife had to remind me to! (Clearly she'd seen!)

Missyaggravation Wed 16-Nov-16 23:02:48

I didn't have the option with any of my 3, they introduced revealing the sex just after I had given birth, at 3 different hospital's envy. I was too tight to pay for a private scan and wasn't overly bothered about which sex each was, so happy to wait. I did notice though that halfway through the 20 week scan with my 2 boys, the sonographer changed from baby to he, bit of a tip off. Don't know if it was deliberate or just a subconscious thing grin

BlossomCat Wed 16-Nov-16 23:04:58

I didn't find out for either of mine.
On my first birth, my baby was put onto my chest, no one had said anything about gender. I lovingly cradled my child with my hand under it's bottom, and welcomed my child into the world with the words;

'Oh my God! It's got testicles!' grin

My second birth, the baby was placed into my arms, and I spent the next 5 minutes telling everyone 'it's a little girl! Oh my God, it's a little girl!!'
I was extremely happy with both of my surprises, and do not regret not finding out until those lovely moments.

onedayimightforget Wed 16-Nov-16 23:05:59

I didn't find out with my first. I was convinced she was a boy. She ended up being born at 28 weeks so I didn't wait that long to find out. She was an EMCS and when DH told me she was a girl (he was allowed to see her after she had been resuscitated) I said "really?!" as if he'd made a mistake!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now