Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Surgery during pregnancy

(4 Posts)
babynelly2010 Tue 15-Nov-16 18:31:04

Anyone had a surgery during pregnancy? Are there any anaesthesia safe for baby?
What week of pregnancy did you have it?

I have a breast cyst which needs to be removed, I am seeing my consultant tomorrow to discuss but windering if it can be done at all during pregnancy.

babynelly2010 Tue 15-Nov-16 18:31:32

Sorry typos :-)

BagelDog Tue 15-Nov-16 20:21:22

You can definitely have anaesthetics while pregnant. Usually avoided if it is something that can easily wait but if not then not a problem. Second trimester is usually he best time if that is an option, all the organs are formed and baby is essentially just getting bigger, so far less risk of anything affecting the baby, but they aren't so big that your ventilation and circulation are seriously affected, and for anything abdominal there is still some space in there! There are some anaesthetic agents that are known to be more safe, so the recipe is adapted a tad, but the end result is the same. And it is much more common than you would think. If any concerns then usually your surgeon will know who anaesthetises the list you are on and can put you in touch ahead of time.

babynelly2010 Wed 16-Nov-16 14:43:09

Thank you for this response. I am going to ask about possible local anesthesia procedure, if not possible I will wait until after pregnancy but I am worried about that. I am about to have my 3rd and if I can prevent me getting very ill I will.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now