Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WWYD?

(11 Posts)
lananzack Tue 15-Nov-16 17:14:22

So, 23 wks into my second pregnancy
Last week (at 22 wks) I experienced contractions thus rang triage who told me to go in - various tests performed to be told I (most likely) have a UTI that was 'mimicking' labour. By most likely - I mean there was protein, leukocytes etc in my pee. The midwives said it was MOST LIKELY a water infection but the doctor would have to diagnose me properly. The doctors were in emergencies and I would have been waiting hours and I have a 10 month old DD waiting for me at home, so I had to go (discharged myself). Got prescribed Cephalexin by GP the next day when I told him what happened.

Now, I've almost finished my course of antibiotics (3 left) so presumably the infection should be clearing up by now.
The problem is I'm still experiencing a few actually painful contractions every few hours, and now I'm experiencing diarrhoea, which fair play could be a side effect of the medicine.
Would you wait until you've finished the last 3 antibiotics to see if these pains and such go away, or would you go to L&D?

choccybiscuit Tue 15-Nov-16 17:16:05

I wouldn't be taking any chances, I'd call again.

lananzack Tue 15-Nov-16 17:26:21

Thanks for the reply, yeah I thought that would be the case. Just wanted a second opinion so I wasn't mithering triage for no reason to be told to wait until I've finished the pills. X

LifeLong13 Tue 15-Nov-16 17:29:27

Call L&D for sure

I would go back. Can you get someone to watch DD whilst you go? It's really not worth the risk

Bamalam12345 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:11:18

I would go back to check your uti is gone. If that's all fine it could be the diarrhoea that's causing the cramps. I have IBS and I'm pregnant and I find the cramps I get with diarrhoea very similar to early labour pains. The cramps go away once my stomach is feeling better. Scary at the time tho.

lananzack Tue 15-Nov-16 19:21:26

In the hospital now being poked and prodded. Midwives so far are being very vague and shady, not really sure if it's out or nout.

Nikki2ol6 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:42:55

Perhaps you have an irritable uterus?

lananzack Tue 15-Nov-16 19:50:48

Nikki, can you get that with a subsequent pregnancy if you didn't have it with the first?

LifeLong13 Tue 15-Nov-16 22:39:18

I think I had an irritable everything when I was pregnant wink

lananzack Wed 16-Nov-16 00:16:44

I'm a bit of an enigma apparently. Consistent contractions felt and high BP which is odd as I'm naturally on the low side - but I'm free of UTI now and the neck of my womb is still shut. So it's a big who knows I suppose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now