Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

embaressing question

(4 Posts)
worriedpregnantperson Mon 14-Nov-16 16:53:58

I'm currently 6 months pregnant and raised with midwife today my concern over birth plan and whether I can have a natural delivery. She has advised I should speak to the consultant in 2 weeks which I am dreading. It was hard enough bringing it up today. The issue I have is that I have an anal skin tag. I think it's quite big but appreciate it could be made bigger in my mind than it actually is. I think this would affect having a natural birth. Midwife said it would depend on the size but not to worry as they have seen everything. Can anyone help if they have had a similar issue?

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Mon 14-Nov-16 17:06:32

From a medical point of view, I can't see how your skin tag will prevent you from having a natural birth. A vaginal delivery will always be advocated if it is safe to do so and the recovery period is shorter and easier than a c section.

I think seeing the consultant will calm your fears so you can enjoy the rest of this pregnancy. If you are embarrassed to show him, it maybe possible to show him a clear photograph of the tag, on your phone for example.

As your midwife says though, they have seen all this before. Skin tags are common. Once you have discussed it and got the issue out in the open, so to speak, you'll feel much better.

MidnightBreeze Mon 14-Nov-16 17:56:42

I don't think the skin tag will cause any issues at all. I have them all over especially downstairs & can't see them causing an issue....they only develop from rubbing, from clothes. They can't get bigger from having a baby

PotteringAlong Mon 14-Nov-16 17:59:14

Also, daft as it sounds, if it's an anal skin tag then it's not in a vital position to get in the way of the baby coming out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now