Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feeling fat and 'orrible and need to turn it around

(10 Posts)
feesh Mon 14-Nov-16 06:24:22

My first pregnancy was twins, and I had an awful first trimester, which I put down to carrying two.

But I'm pregnant again (with a singleton) and the same has happened again. I basically feel so sick all the time that I can only stomach beige food. Crisps, cornflakes, pizza and cheese on toast, basically. I can't even think about eating meat or veg or I dry-retch.

I put on SO much weight last time and the same is happening again. I also feel so crap and exhausted all the time that I am basically sitting on my arse or in bed a lot of the time.

I'm just coming out of the first trimester, and I do remember last time that I felt relatively normal (at least by 18 weeks or so when we went on holiday - I remember going out to eat a lot and not feeling repulsed by normal food, so it must get better). But at the moment my diet is still quite limited and I am permanently hungry.

So having spent 4 years losing about 20kg after my last pregnancy, I am pretty gutted to find my arse and arms getting fat again. Is there anything I can do in the second trimester to turn things around?

I have even thought about following Slimming World once I can eat normal food again.

I know this all sounds really shallow, but my self esteem absolutely plummeted after the twins were born - there are no photos of them with me as babies - and it took me 4 years to start to feel normal again. I need to find a way to get through this pregnancy without looking like a fat whale at the end of it.

I also struggle with any diets that aren't low-carb, as that worked incredibly well for me after the twins were born and I managed to keep it up for years (the weightloss was VERY slow though). It really suits my way of eating and my body seems 'happier' and more balanced on that diet, but obviously I can't keep that up now I am pregnant, and it's set me up for some bad habits like loving full fat yogurt and milk, which obviously don't work very well on a normal diet.

I'm also worried about breastfeeding, because that made me insatiable last time and I actually put on about 5-10kg after the birth because of the amount I was eating.

MabelTheCow Mon 14-Nov-16 07:05:31

I've not been through it before but didn't want to read and run. I know that horrible feeling when you can't bare to look at yourself well.
Get through the next few weeks eating whatever you need to ... you can't stomach it so don't try and don't feel bad about it. Plenty of people have to eat to cope with nausea. Once that's over, you can try and take a more healthy eating approach with lots of fruit and veg and limit fattier foods and high carbs to smaller portions or certain meals.
Is your community midwife any good? Could you talk to her and see if they have any advice?

Bella1985 Mon 14-Nov-16 07:46:49

I was on slimming world pre pregnancy and mw advised that it was safe to continue during pregnancy so that's not a bad idea. But as mabel said - if veg is making you feel ill right now, don't beat yourself up about it. I couldn't bear to eat anything but brown fatty food in 1st trimester but that's gone now (3rd trimester) and I can even eat my nemesis - brocoli (which I loved pre 1st tri nausea). excersise will be easier in 2nd trimester too- walking and swimming nothing too strenuous but atleast you will get some activity in and feel the mental benefits of doing something. I've not continued at sw during pregnancy and have been enjoying full fat yoghurt for a change - we're growing a human being and there are nutrients in the yoghurt so I'm planning on switching back to low fat once baby is born and will probably re-join slimming world to shift excess weight. In the meantime I am loving the creamy yoghurt!

Remember that every body is different and will deal with pregnancy in a different way, talking to your mw or friends is also a good suggestion. Good luck flowers

HughLauriesStubble Mon 14-Nov-16 08:33:09

I lost 3 stone after the birth of my daughter and have been following sw loosely in this pregnancy to minimise weight gain. Like others have said, just follow as best you can and don't beat yourself up over having your treats. I found it more difficult to stick to during the first trimester until the constant nausea eased.

RedCrab Mon 14-Nov-16 08:39:21

I really feel your pain. I didn't lose all the weight from DC2 and now I'm 20 weeks pregnant with DC3 and just so huge all over. I want to tell everyone that this is not me.

But pregnancy is really hard and youve just got to get through it however you can. First trimester is especially a killer. I keep eating sweet things because it's the only thing that takes that awful sick feeling away. So I'm gaining tons of weight and probably going go cause GD.

Eat the best you can and try not to beat yourself up. You lost the weight last time and you can do it again.

PeachBellini123 Mon 14-Nov-16 09:26:56

I know how you feel. I'm 34 weeks and have put on 2 stone shock Not happy about it but had to eat constantly to fight off feeling sick in the first trimester and food is the only thing that gets me through when I have an energy slump at work!

I couldn't stomach a lot of fruit and veg in my first trimester and went totally off fish.

Try not to get too down about it. I can handle healthy snacks now so I'm hoping the weight gain will slow..

RedCrab Mon 14-Nov-16 11:23:35

You'd think I'd have learnt this by now - what with this being my third child - but try not to go crazy during BFing. It does make you ravenous but I always make the rookie (or not so rookie) error of thinking that means I can eat whatever I like - cake, puddings, eclairs etc. I've always put on more weight post birth. Let's hope I learn my lesson this time!

Whatsername17 Mon 14-Nov-16 11:38:28

Break up your meals and eat little and often. One slice of toast for breakfast and another an hour and a half later. Half your sandwich at lunch then half in an hour. Same with your tea. Aim to stick to your 'normal' calorie intake. Try some gentle exercise. I'm 30+3 and I've put on 18lb so far. I'm by no means skinny normally- 12 on the bottom and 10 on the top - and I love food. But, I had an eating disorder in my 20s so I feel like it's important for me to manage me weight gain. With dd I gained 2st and I'm on track to do the same again. Post pregnancy I lost the weight quickly. In my first trimester I lived on toast and crisps. It can be done! Good luck x

INeedNewShoes Mon 14-Nov-16 11:45:54

I agree with Whatsername

I had to eat regularly during my first trimester to keep nausea at bay. So I just split up all my meals so that I had breakfast in two small portions a couple of hours apart, then half a lunch around midday and the other half at 2ish. My nausea was better in the evenings anyway so I didn't need to eat again after my evening meal.

Also, find lower-fat beige foods. I carry around oatcakes in my handbag just in case I get that 'must eat right now' feeling.

Do be kind to yourself though. You have to do whatever's necessary to get through the nausea so a bit of weight gain is inevitable. Try not to beat yourself up about it. You've proven to yourself that you have it in you to lose the weight later on!

LondonGirl83 Mon 14-Nov-16 16:12:03

I had really bad nausea but for me eating anything made me throw-up so weight gain wasn't specifically a concern.

If you are concerned about being ravenous though, I've found that a bowl of oatmeal made with full fat milk can actually keep you really full for a long time and is very filling. I read in the NY Times that using full fat milk with oatmeal keeps you fuller for longer and its 100% true. The texture may not be what you are able to keep down at the moment but I just thought that might be a beige alternative that was still relatively healthy to help manage your weight gain.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now