Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Booking in with GP

(9 Posts)
NiceToesNaughtyToes Mon 14-Nov-16 02:53:49

I'm pg with DC2 (6weeks) and have just over a week's wait to see the GP to be referred to a midwife.

Is this ok?! Or should I be trying to see the GP sooner? I don't really want to be slotted in for an emergency appt if it's not necessary.

Thanks in advance smile

GinIsIn Mon 14-Nov-16 03:39:53

It's fine - they won't do anything anyway, just refer you to the midwife in about 3-4 weeks time.

This isn't an emergency - please don't take an appointment away from someone who might really need it.

dylsmimi Mon 14-Nov-16 03:43:50

In our area you don't see the doctor just straight to the midwife after 8 weeks so check you need a Dr to refer otherwise it will be a waste of appojntment
It seems a long wait though doesn't it! Congratulations! flowers

MabelTheCow Mon 14-Nov-16 07:24:06

Same as Dyls here. Think it varies from place to place but maybe worth asking if you can book straight in with the midwife.

BreatheDeep Mon 14-Nov-16 07:31:20

Same here, just book direct with midwife. Midwife doesn't see you until 10 weeks here.

drinkyourmilk Mon 14-Nov-16 07:32:39

Yep we go direct to midwife too. You should be fine to wait.

PeachBellini123 Mon 14-Nov-16 09:23:48

I agree. Check with the receptionists if you need an appointment or can just book yourself in with a midwife.

I had to see the GP first of all and he just told me to take folic acid and then saw the midwife for booking in at 10 weeks.

arbrighton Mon 14-Nov-16 09:29:42

I went in to GP reception and said pregnant, what do I do (at 4wks). They gave me midwives number.

I rang. Saw them a week later for booking in, as they had a slot. Nagged to get flu jab ASAP so that was done that week too.

Ring GP reception and ask what procedure actually is, or if your midwife service for your trust has a website, it will tell you what to do.

I still have a GP appt as there are some medications that I can keep taking but ideally wouldn't and the BFP happened a bit sooner than we thought

NiceToesNaughtyToes Mon 14-Nov-16 09:38:39

Brilliant, thanks for all the replies! I shall call reception today and see what their procedure is... I didn't think of that blush x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now