Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Really bad heartburn

(12 Posts)
Nottalotta Sun 13-Nov-16 00:13:34

What will ease it? 2 doses of ranitidine taken. No help at all. No gaviscon (hate it anyway) Tired.

drinkyourmilk Sun 13-Nov-16 04:40:54

I'm on omeprazole. Take it as I have reflux anyhow - but been double dosing (OK with gp) when needed and it's fab.

Scrumptiousbears Sun 13-Nov-16 04:59:20

With my first pregnancy mine didn't go until after I had her. Never had it with the second at all. I hated Gaviscon but it was my best friend in the end.

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 13-Nov-16 05:55:46

I had terrible heartburn when I was expecting my dd- nothing really eased it but I did find cutting out all fruit juices/ fizzy drinks out (altogether works best but I really liked them so just used to not drink any after 6pm), no spicy food or tomato based dishes- blander the better, and sleeping propped up loads of pillows under me. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear but I tried everything and they are the only things that really helped in my case.
Good luck op hope you feel more rested soon.

FirstTimeMummy25 Sun 13-Nov-16 06:01:43

Rennies worked for me most of the time might had to have taken a few though and like others said I stoped with acid like food such as fruit juices and tomato based products. Hope ur eases for you

Andbabymakesthree Sun 13-Nov-16 19:58:12

I get cycles of it. Currently on 150mg of ranitidine twice a day. 20mg of ompremzole and gaviscon and tums.

If I'm constipated it's at its worst. Today has finally been a good day. Not been sick today either. I'm 33wks and had it since day 1.

Lules Sun 13-Nov-16 20:00:20

Another vote for omeprazole here

Nottalotta Sun 13-Nov-16 22:17:59

andbaby I wondered if constipation made it worse. I had only had a small fairly bland dinner so wasn't expecting it. Then realised this morning that there had been a bit of a 'back log' in the toilet depth and wondered if that had an impact.

Nottalotta Sun 13-Nov-16 22:18:39

Do you take the ranitidine at specific tines orcas required?

Andbabymakesthree Sun 13-Nov-16 22:33:03

Constipation has been the bane of this pregnancy. It definitely makes heartburn and acid worse.

Try taking ranitidine as soon as awake before breakfast. Then again about 4/5 ish.

If after a few days it's not working back to GP to try ompremzole.

Both drugs work in different ways. You can take both together too.

Andbabymakesthree Sun 13-Nov-16 22:35:50

Yes definitely take ranitidine in a routine.

Also look up nice guidelines.

cks.nice.org.uk/dyspepsia-pregnancy-associated

Ranitidine indirectly prevents the secretion of acid into the stomach.

Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) which directly prevents the production of acid in the stomach.

RedCrab Mon 14-Nov-16 08:29:11

I found carby processed things like pasta and bread made it much, much much worse. Tumeric capsules in between doses of ranitidine also helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now