Talk

Advanced search

Baby Shower HELP!

(16 Posts)
CupofTeaTime Sat 12-Nov-16 21:22:14

My friend is having her baby shower tomorrow (last minute decision to have one). My husband got laid off from his temp job last week so we are seriously skint. I'm 37 weeks pregnant myself so money is shockingly tight. I have literally £8 spare to buy the baby something I can pick up from Tesco in the morning. Anyone have any ideas? I'm so embarrassed that I can't get her much at all and feel shit turning up with a crap present.

When she came to my baby shower she bought lots of things which much have added up to well over £20, I feel bad but literally have no more money until Tuesday. Looking for inspiration!

dlwelly Sat 12-Nov-16 21:24:00

A nice box of chocolates and a babysitting voucher?

Do you have any baby bits of your own you could re-gift her? A little hamper with some nappies, bubble bath etc.?

daisygirlmac Sat 12-Nov-16 21:24:25

Get her a lovely card and say you'd prefer to buy something for baby when they arrive or make a voucher book with things like you promise to go round and hold the baby while she showers etc

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 12-Nov-16 21:24:54

Er, if my mate was skint I wouldn't want anything. Seriously.

If she knows your situation she won't expect anything.

No one has parties to get stuff. They want a laugh with their loved ones.

CupofTeaTime Sat 12-Nov-16 21:35:46

Thanks for the quick replies.

The box of chocolates and the voucher ideas are good.

Joffrey- that's what I thought and I'd feel the same, I just feel bad that she spent so much on me. She does know my DH is between jobs so I'm sure she'd understand. Just worry about being judged by her other guests who'll see I brought nothing

CupofTeaTime Sat 12-Nov-16 21:37:08

Dlwelly - I had a look through my baby stuff but nothing I can spare. I'm having a c section on Tuesday so haven't got time to replace anything I'd give away!

17caterpillars1mouse Sat 12-Nov-16 21:39:03

They have some nice comforters in Tesco for your budget. They have a guess how much I love you hare one and some winnie the pooh ones

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 12-Nov-16 21:39:44

Other guests won't judge you.

No one pays attention to other people. They won't care.

Get her a gift when the baby is born. You don't even use half of the crap you're given anyway.

Slightly off topic - WTF is a top and tail bowl actually for??

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 12-Nov-16 21:41:27

You're having a C Section on TUESDAY yet you're worrying about buying a gift?

Put your fucking feet up and watch a nice film.

Blimey!

Your mate will understand. As will everyone else.

MouseLove Sat 12-Nov-16 21:58:41

I mean, bloody hell you're having a baby on Tuesday and bless you you're worrying about this. Please don't!!!! I'd be surprised if anyone is bothered about you even turning up. I know you don't want to turn up empty handed so...

Mummy pamper kit, because I'm sure she has lots for the baby.

Bubble bath - £1
Mug & hot chocolate sachets - £2-3
Lip balm - £1
Fluffy socks - £2
Mini bottle of wine - £2

X

BobbieDog Sat 12-Nov-16 22:05:03

This is why im stipulating no gifts at all for dc2.

I hate this whole expecting to get someone a gift for things etc.

I would be very upset if i knew someone was worrying about getting me a gift.

Trifleorbust Sat 12-Nov-16 22:18:38

Top and tail bowl is so you can wash the baby's bum etc separately from face and mouth...according to my mum!

CupofTeaTime Sun 13-Nov-16 09:10:09

Thanks everyone you've been really helpful with ideas!

I know I'm mad to even be going when I'm having a section on Tuesday! I'm huge and in pain and can't be bothered but she's already had 3 people cancel on her. Debating whether I could be a 4th cancellation....if not the mummy pamper kit is the way to go.

Thanks all!

ConvincingLiar Sun 13-Nov-16 09:22:37

IOU for an hour to herself post baby. Don't go shopping!

cheltamy Sun 13-Nov-16 09:57:19

Love the idea of a little mummy pamper kit or some babysitting vouchers but I totally agree that you don't need to worry: if she's a good friend, she'd be really cross to hear you spent money on her when you're struggling a bit!

I hope the stress of money worries aren't making your last few days of pregnancy difficult x

CupofTeaTime Sun 13-Nov-16 11:44:36

Thanks all, I think realistically I'll have to just get her a card for now. The money problems are taking the shine off our exciting time of the new baby coming, it's do depressing worrying about parking money when I'm in hospital and petrol to get there etc.

Thanks for all of your advice it was really helpful smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now