Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Smoking cannabis in early pregnancy, I didn't know, please help!

(25 Posts)
TwinkleStars15 Sat 12-Nov-16 15:49:49

Hi all,

I've just found out that I'm about 7 weeks pregnant. I found out when I was admitted to hospital with a blood clot in my leg, I had no idea at all. I'm really panicking because I was smoking cannabis and had two nights out where I was drinking. I don't usually smoke cannabis or drink, but had split with my husband and was having a really tough time. I have a good, well paid job, and I consider myself to be a well respected person, please don't think badly of me, It's not the 'normal' me, I think I just lost my way for a bit. Since I found out I've not had a single cigarette and have been looking after myself.

I'm worried that I will have damaged my baby because of the smoking and two nights out. I'm not sure that I can spend the next 8 months worrying myself silly that I've done something bad to the baby. I've been considering a termination, I.dont really want to but would never forgive myself if the baby was affected by my stupidity. I'm also worrying because I don't have long to make a decision, if I'm going to terminate the pregnancy I'd rather do it sooner than later as it's only going to get more difficult to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HirplesWithHaggis Sat 12-Nov-16 15:57:06

OK, it's not ideal to have been drinking and smoking, but you're not the first and won't be the last. It's extremely unlikely that you'll have seriously damaged your baby, especially now you know and are clean-living. No need for a termination.

RockinHippy Sat 12-Nov-16 16:06:43

Don't panic, I did the same & all was fine.

I actually came across some research done in the West Indies a few years ago that was intended to prove it was a bad thing to do, but ended up proving the opposite, as the babies born to the DMs in the study all turned out to be very bright early developers - so the results were squashed - I remember it as my DD also turned out to be a very bright early developer

Kiwi32 Sat 12-Nov-16 16:38:41

Hi there, don't panic. From what I understand the effects on your early pregnancy would have been 'all or nothing' I.e. Either severe enough to lead to a natural miscarriage or mild enough to have done no lasting damage.

BertieBotts Sat 12-Nov-16 16:46:46

Don't worry. What's done is done.

Foetal alcohol syndrome is normally caused when women drink heavily and regularly throughout pregnancy. Two nights out when you were too early to even know you were pregnant are unlikely to lead to serious harm. And while we know that smoking is bad, it was common up until fairly recently. And again, the problem is with smoking regularly, not as a one off. The research on cannabis actually shows that its effects on pregnancy are either mild or negligible, so don't worry about that (though of course, still better to avoid!)

Have you seen a midwife yet? I would ask these questions then. I expect they can reassure you. Have you got some folic acid? That would be the thing to concentrate on ASAP (Boots sell it very cheaply).

PeachBellini123 Sat 12-Nov-16 16:55:43

Please try not to get stressed out. I don't smoke but (like a lot of women) found out at 5 weeks after lots of nights out getting drunk! Stopped as soon as I found out and am now 33 weeks pregnant and baby looks healthy smile

Flingmoo Sat 12-Nov-16 16:58:03

You'll get reassurance at your scans when it comes to birth defects etc.

Elledouble Sat 12-Nov-16 17:01:05

Please don't worry. As my midwife said (I only found out I was pregnant at six weeks, I was on holiday when I was missing my period and drinking every day), if that was enough to cause damage to the baby there'd be an awful lot more kids with FAS about. My boy is eighteen months old and absolutely perfect (well... as perfect as they can be!).

Charlalala Sat 12-Nov-16 17:23:28

I found out I was pregnant at 7 weeks and was unplanned.

I was a smoker (5-10 a day +several more on a night spent at the pub) had many nights out drinking and the occasional joint during those first weeks before I found out I was pregnant. All stopped as soon as I had suspicious about the pregnancy of course.

Doc said not to worry as nothing to be done now and so early on that very unlikely that it had any effect on the fetus. Important thing was to stay clear of all intoxicating vices for the rest of pregnancy (and beyond)

DS was 10lb when born, is 6 weeks old today and as healthy as can be.

No need for termination, unless there are other factors i.e aforementioned split with husband, that might be causing you to think so.

Branleuse Sat 12-Nov-16 17:24:09

youll be absolutely fine

Danglyweed Sat 12-Nov-16 17:27:05

I didnt find out i was pregnant with my oldest dd til 29weeks, had been out drinking 2 or 3 nights most weeks until then. I was mortified at the time, but my dd is absolutely fine. Please dont worry

Chewysweets Sat 12-Nov-16 17:30:36

I did the same (actually worse) than this and my boy was fine, don't worry!!

TwinkleStars15 Sat 12-Nov-16 18:03:35

Thank you for all your comments. I'm just really worried because when I looked online it said that your baby's brain starts developing in the first few weeks. I'm not so concerned about the two nights out, I know lota of people do that before they find out, it's more the cannabis I was smoking.

I only found out 3 days ago so haven't seen anyone yet, and although it would be great to speak to a midwife about my concerns I don't want to leave it too long in case we do decide not to go ahead. To be honest there a few reasons (not planned, very new relationship, money etc) not to proceed, but I'm not letting them get in the way of my decision, I'm more concerned about the baby and that I might have harmed him/her in some way. I think I'll worry every day for the next 8 months sad

I just don't know what to do....

BertieBotts Sat 12-Nov-16 20:37:52

OK. What about booking an appointment with BPAS or Marie Stopes and talking about your concerns? They won't try to persuade you in any direction but they speak to lots of women in your position and should be able to help. And it's not as final as making an appointment with a midwife which might make you feel like you have to go along with the pregnancy. Plus because they understand the issue of time you shouldn't have to wait too long.

I honestly think that the chances you've harmed the baby are very very tiny. They are really a lot tougher than we think!

I can try and dig some reputable studies out if you want?

TwinkleStars15 Sat 12-Nov-16 22:04:42

Aw thanks BertieBotts, that's really kind of you! And a good suggestion, I'll try that. Thank you.

TwinkleStars15 Fri 18-Nov-16 12:56:20

Back again....I've booked in for an early scan today and I'm really worried about it. Its at 8.45pm tonight! I know none of you can do anything and feeling panicky is probably normal but just felt the need to put my feelings down on here. I think I'm roughly 8 weeks - what should I expect to see? Will they be able to tell if there are any problems this early?

IntoSpaceMan Fri 18-Nov-16 13:04:20

Try not to worry, easier said than done I know. Imagine how many woman have done exactly the same as you, myself included and everything was fine. You need to have a lot of alcohol to do any damage to baby, the same with smoking.

I don't think you'll know if there is any problems until later on but I'm sure everything will be fine. Baby will probably look more bean than baby at 8 weeks.

That's a really late scanshock. I thought the sonographer would have closed up by then. Good luck, come and tell us how you got on.smile

TwinkleStars15 Fri 18-Nov-16 13:08:18

Thank you IntoSpaceMan for your reply. Can I expect to see a heartbeat??
I called them this morning to enquire and see when they could fit us in and they said "you can come tonight" that was a surprise! I will definitely come back and post an update xx

IntoSpaceMan Fri 18-Nov-16 13:46:51

I'd have thought so but can't say for sure, i didn't realize I was pregnant for ages with dd so I didn't have any early scansblush.

Have you got someone to go with you?

IntoSpaceMan Fri 18-Nov-16 13:48:39

I don't think you'll hear the heartbeat until later on in pregnancy but you may see the flicker of the beating on the screen. Have you had any bloods done yet?

BertieBotts Fri 18-Nov-16 13:56:56

Yes, there is normally a heartbeat from 6 weeks.

They'll probably try and do an abdominal scan first so go with a full bladder if you can. If they can't see anything dur to positioning they'll try vaginal next. If they're going to do a vaginal one then you'll need an empty bladder. They normally have a toilet handy for this reason. But ask.

It's a good idea to take someone with you if you can but if not, I'm sure you'll be fine.

DearMrDilkington Fri 18-Nov-16 19:57:37

I hope all goes well twinkle. Are you still feeling as anxious? It's spaceman(I sound like a superhero!), I've gone back to an old username.

Bumbleclat Sat 19-Nov-16 05:23:24

Don't worry! Babies make perfect parasites, taking all the goodness from us and filtering out the crap that they don't need. When I was in utero, my mum was taking all sorts of antidepressants anti psychotic drugs that wouldn't be recommended my dad smokes copious amounts of weed that she was probably passively inhaling and I was and am very healthy so please don't worry, it sounds like you're doing all the right things now smile

TwinkleStars15 Sat 19-Nov-16 09:17:03

The scan went well, obviously little one is tiny so they couldn't really tell me much, but we saw a nice strong heart beat, he/she is in the right place and as of today I'm 8 weeks. I think I'm still going to worry I've damaged him/her but I've also told myself to try and relax and enjoy the moment. Wow what an emotional rollercoaster this is turning out to be!

ecuse Sat 19-Nov-16 18:12:54

Please don't panic, this is so common, your baby will be fine. Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now