Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

1st trimester questions

(6 Posts)
Wibblewobble100 Thu 10-Nov-16 14:23:33

2 totally unrelated questions that I hope you lovely mumsnetters will help with..

1. Why won't they let me have any beauty treatments? Local spa won't even allow me a manicure in the first trimester? Surely this is about insurance. My lovely DH rubs my shoulders regularly for me, and I've never heard that you shouldn't paint your own nails so why won't the spa do it?

2 can anyone explain in more detail how they calculate your risk on screening? I know age, nucal translucency and blood levels of hcg and afp come into it but to what extent. Is age a binary over or under a certain cut off or do they take your exact age into account, and which is most important? Can you still get a low risk result over say 40?

Choccyhobnob Thu 10-Nov-16 14:58:05

I have never heard the one about beauty treatments! And I used to be a beauty therapist! They perhaps shouldn't use certain oils but I certainly got manicures when I was in my first trimester.... hmm

sharon2016 Thu 10-Nov-16 17:05:30

They may not want you in the salon due to the nail polish fumes... My local salon is the same xx

GreedyDuck Thu 10-Nov-16 17:09:25

If I was in my first tri and wanted a manicure I would just go and get one, and not tell them.

Re: screening, no idea, but I was over 40 and my risk came back as 1:1700, so pretty low bearing in mind my age.

Kel1234 Thu 10-Nov-16 17:13:35

I wear nail extensions all the time, and when I was pregnant I was told I could get my nails done throughout my pregnancy.

Foggymist Thu 10-Nov-16 20:51:44

Spas won't do treatments because if you miscarry you could possibly blame the treatment/therapist/oils/any number of ridiculous things, sounds insane but compo culture makes it so!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now