Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity Leave when are you starting?

(27 Posts)
NewMum26 Wed 09-Nov-16 16:44:28

What is everyone doing for Maternity Leave? Do you work full time now and how long before your due date are you finishing work? Are you taking Holiday etc? I don't know what to do hmm x

choccybiscuit Wed 09-Nov-16 16:57:17

I think I may take mat leave two weeks before due date and also take holiday before that also. I had my dd2 two days after taking maternity leave and felt like I didn't have a chance to do everything going I wanted before baby came, this time I'm not taking a chance.

ArialAnna Wed 09-Nov-16 17:01:46

I'm due on 14th Jan and am working full time up till 30th December. I'm feeling okay, my job is generally not that stressful, and the days around the Christmas holidays are usually quite quiet anyway, so thought I might as well save the time off for when I need it more. I think I'd go sooner though if I was having more health problems or had a more stressful job. Planning to take all my missed holiday just before I come back to work.

soundsystem Wed 09-Nov-16 17:07:43

I'm due on 22nd January and currently pencilled to finish up on 6th January, but will probably push it back a week if I'm feeling ok.

I work full-time but I have a lot of flexibility in terms of where I work/how I structure my days, etc which makes things easier.

FlipperSkipper Wed 09-Nov-16 18:00:15

Im taking annual leave from 35w and mat leave from 38w. I'm being induced around 38w so will hopefully have 3 weeks to myself. I'm due in February so am using a good chunk of next year's annual leave as I might as well.

Hellmouth Wed 09-Nov-16 18:12:33

i'm not pregnant anymore, but here's what I did / am doing.

My due date was 18/06/2016. I started maternity leave from 06/06/2016 (I kind of regretted this in the end, though, cos i was so huge and uncomfortable at that point). I worked full time in an office in London.

I had to be induced, so DS did not arrive until 02/07.

I am planning to go back to work 09/01/2017 as we can't afford for me to take a year off sad

On the plus side, because our holiday year starts beginning of May, and I didn't take any annual leave, I now have 26 days to use up between January and May. If you can, try to use your holiday for staggering your return to work. I am planning to work 3 days a week in January and Feb, then increase to 4 days a week until my holiday days run out smile

MissMooMoo Wed 09-Nov-16 18:33:51

Im not due until May but I am thinking I will take 2 weeks AL starting after Easter and then start mat leave after that.
I work as a nanny and can't think of anything worse than looking after 3 children heavily pregnant during the easter holidays (for me and the children!)

buckyou Wed 09-Nov-16 18:49:55

Im due 6th Feb and going to try and do up to due date. I reckon I will be late.

I only work 3 days though and work from home 2 of those.

MrsChrisPratt Wed 09-Nov-16 18:53:16

I'm due March 22nd, starting mat leave on that day, but taking holiday from February 24th, so really finish when I'm around 36.5 weeks. Can't wait, but then my boss is an arsehole and making things very difficult. If that continues I can always bring ot forward as won't be going back so not worried about return to work being forced and we have saved so can afford it.

Vixxfacee Wed 09-Nov-16 18:56:34

I work full time and taking maternity leave a week before.

Laura05 Wed 09-Nov-16 19:22:20

With pg1 and 2 I officially started mat leave the day before they were due but took 2weeks annual leave with pg1 and 3weeks annual leave with pg2.
This time round I'm starting mat leave at 38weeks but taking 4weeks annual leave before it starts. Ideally I would've liked to work right up like I did with the other two but I'm on my feet all day, struggling with my pelvis big time (I'm only 22weeks but had problems from 7weeks! Seeing a physio) and with running about after a 5yr old and a 2yr old is really doing me in!
I'm hoping I don't need to finish up any earlier as both dc were late so don't want to lose too much time from the other end.

user1468957349 Wed 09-Nov-16 19:34:15

I'm due 6th Feb. Taking a weeks holiday from 27th January then mat leave starts. For me I'd personally have the time off after the birth than before. Plus I know if I end up going overdue I'll end up bored and would rather be working. I think it's such a personal choice though and down to how you find your job, how your pregnancy has been and how you feel you'll cope. Good luck deciding!

LillyLollyLandy Wed 09-Nov-16 19:34:56

I'm due on 15 Jan but due to complications, will be finishing up at 34 weeks on 2 Dec, as the doctors think I will need to deliver around 37 weeks. This is DC3 for me and I work full time. Quite looking forward to the rest in all honesty! I worked to 38 weeks with DC1, and 37 weeks with DC2.

Libbywx Wed 09-Nov-16 19:49:50

I'm 35 weeks and started my mat leave last Monday. Was starting to get bad pain in my hips so getting up the hill to work was a nightmare ha! Good opportunity to get some rest before the wee man arrives! I worked full time 9-6 x

sj257 Wed 09-Nov-16 20:03:18

My first day of mat leave was Monday. I'm 30 weeks today. I only finished so early though as my contract ends in March anyway.

NameChange30 Wed 09-Nov-16 20:09:22

I'm due on 27th Feb and officially starting maternity leave 2 weeks before that. But I can use annual leave if I want to finish sooner - I'm going to wait and see how I feel after Christmas. Only work part time (3 days a week) so I'm hoping to keep going providing I'm not too exhausted or in pain for any reason.

MyBlackCat Wed 09-Nov-16 20:26:31

Due date 11th December, maternity starts at 38 weeks but my last day is tomorrow grin as using up annual leave. I'm knackered and so glad to be finishing, hopefully will have a few weeks to relax before the birth.

Heatherbell1978 Thu 10-Nov-16 07:49:05

I'm due 27th Feb and finishing up on 23rd Dec. My actual mat leave starts 27/2 but I'm taking holiday before then. I feel fine but job is a nightmare so I've had enough! I work full time and have a DS1 who is 2. With DS1 I finished at 35 weeks (different job!).

drinkyourmilk Thu 10-Nov-16 08:40:59

I work full time. Taking mat leave from 38 weeks, and the week prior to that as A/L.

Kintan Thu 10-Nov-16 08:44:46

I'm starting mat leave a week before my due date, but taking annual leave for three weeks before then.

VeganMama83 Thu 10-Nov-16 08:54:46

Finished stupidly early with my previous two DC as hated my job at the end (many many reasons!).

This time i'm due June 12th so hope to work until end of May. Job is only part time and not stressful so should be fine. Hoping to add my 6 weeks of holiday to end of Mat leave.

ppole27 Thu 10-Nov-16 12:32:23

I work full time currently and am 33 weeks. I'm due on Boxing Day but will start my maternity leave 2 weeks prior to due date, however have a couple of work Christmas events such as Christmas parties and secret santa lunches that I want to go in for once on my leave.

bumptittybump Thu 10-Nov-16 13:21:47

It's up to you, but having finished over 2 months ago I can thoroughly recommend finishing as early as possible :-)

Depends on whether you are going back to work and when, finances, the nature of your work, your commute, your health... If you ars feeling well, have an easy journey, desk job and need the money and/or are going back after 6 months you probably want to finish late as possible to have more time with the baby. Otherwise make the most of some time to yourself!

PippaRose Thu 10-Nov-16 14:13:18

I am due 20th Jan, finishing at Xmas as this felt like natural break. Xmas and first 2 weeks of Jan is holiday and so start mat leave on 16th Jan

PeachBellini123 Sat 12-Nov-16 10:37:05

I'm going on maternity leave at 37 weeks. Work in quite a stressful job and commute by tube everyday so wouldn't want to work any longer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now