Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fit to Fly certificate Easyjet

(14 Posts)
PassTheCake82 Tue 08-Nov-16 13:44:06

Hi All,
I've been non-stop googling this and unable to get a definite answer so wondered if anyone had any recent experience that would help to clarify...
I have booked a flight with Easyjet (within the UK) and will be 33+ weeks pregnant when I fly (return included). I phoned the GP to ask for a letter to confirm I'm okay to fly but I've since read that there is a fit to fly certificate. Has anyone any recent experience of this and how to go about obtaining one? I am based in Scotland.

broodymamma Tue 08-Nov-16 13:54:58

I have just returned from a holiday and travelled via easyjet and am currently 30 weeks pregnant. Although I had a letter written by my midwife stating that I was fit to fly I was not asked for it on either the outgoing flight nor the return. You may want to request one from your local midwife for peace of mind. Good luck and wishing you a easy birth.

SeashellHoarder Tue 08-Nov-16 14:15:55

I carried a fit to fly letter from 28 weeks. Not always asked for it. Fly be are most likely to ask IME.

PassTheCake82 Tue 08-Nov-16 14:23:45

Thank you. I have a gp letter but I don't have a fit to fly certificate confused and my worry is that Easyjet will only accept this.

PotteringAlong Tue 08-Nov-16 14:25:13

Ring them and ask?

User568945 Tue 08-Nov-16 14:28:03

From EasyJet FAQs:
If you are pregnant you can travel up to the end of the 35th week forsingle pregnancies. Please make sure you complete all return journeysno later than week 35.
A medical certificate is not required to travel. But if you have experienced any complications during your pregnancy please consult your medical practitioner before flying with us. Due to safety restrictions, certain seats are not suitable for expectant mothers, but these will be clearly identified during the booking process..

user1478551766 Tue 08-Nov-16 14:30:20

If they have one it will be on their website. I had one for ryanair and another for aer lingus.
There doesn't appear to be one though, so you need to follow the international standard which a letter from your dr (not a midwife) confirming how many weeks and that you have no complications that would affect your flying safely.

user1478551766 Tue 08-Nov-16 14:32:19

The info above mine is out of date. You need a letter from 28 weeks with Easyjet.
corporate.easyjet.com/latest-news-archive/news-year-2004/30-03-04-en.aspx?sc_lang=en

I've never actually been asked for any when I had them, although I was once pulled out of the line and accused of lying about how many weeks I was when I told them I didn't need a letter.

bobcat85 Tue 08-Nov-16 15:10:19

It's worth checking with the airline if they have their own template letter that you need. I flew with Ryanair at 30 weeks and got my GP to write a fit to fly letter and when checking in our bags I was asked for their own template letter, which I didn't have. After about 15 minutes waiting for them to check all the details on my letter they said on this occasion I could fly out but would need their template letter to return.
I then had to spend ages phoning the doctors and then also getting people to print the letter, take it to the doctors for my GP to fill in and then email it to me to print off for my return flight.

The letter I had provided originally had all the same details as the Ryanair template letter but they still insisted I needed it. Stupid of me not to check properly really but nevermind. It was unlucky that I got asked as I think quite a few people don't.

mikesh909 Tue 08-Nov-16 15:22:53

I flew easy jet recently at 33 weeks. As per their website, I paid £20 (was supposed to be £30!!) for a note from my GP certifying weeks of pregnancy / fitness to fly etc. Was not asked for it by anyone at any stage on either outbound or return journeys.

Not sure I would bother with an official note again, there was nothing on it that I couldn't type up myself if I was worried about being stopped at the airport. Obviously, the important part is to see your GP / MW and confirm that you are in fact fit to fly!

Welshy11 Tue 08-Nov-16 16:15:43

You no longer need a certificate certifying fitness to fly with easyJet. Call for clarification but it hasn't needed any longer as they don't consider if a ailment
www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions/medical-information

chloechloe Tue 08-Nov-16 16:42:17

If you don't look heavily pregnant I would be tempted to keep your coat on at check in and when boarding. If asked just look mortally offended and say you're 5 months with your 4th child.

I flew recently at 31w with Easyjet and never got asked but don't have a huge bump. I'd be more minded to comply with the regulations if they were consistent and clearly set out but that doesn't seem to be the case from reading the replies above!

PassTheCake82 Tue 08-Nov-16 17:16:38

Thanks everyone.
I spoke to the midwife and she hadn't heard of any formal certificate so I phoned easyjet...
The customer advisor stated a 'medical certificate' was needed, when I asked what this entails, she was happy enough with a. GP letter. I did ask if there was a specific format and she said 'pdf is fine' grin Not sure she knew what I meant so I asked if there was ana existing template and she said no.
I'll go with the GP letter. I don't think I'd get away with trying to hide the bump hmm

coppergrey Wed 09-Nov-16 06:14:10

I flew at 32/33 weeks with just a standard letter from my GP. Was asked for it on the way out but had a big scarf on for the way back and no one batted an eyelid.

Worth having the letter just in case but don't worry too much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now