Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Heartburn, help!

(11 Posts)
starsinyourpies Mon 07-Nov-16 20:16:23

Second pregnancy, I have horrendous heartburn. It definitely wasn't this bad last time. Eating regularly/taking gaviscon but nothing seems to help. Anyone had this? Is this worth seeing the doctor about? Getting to the point where it's hard to concentrate at work as it's so painful but not sure whether there's anything they can do.

ShimmeringIce Mon 07-Nov-16 20:26:10

Ranitidine! Take it daily for a few weeks then see how you go. Tis wondrous stuff grin

SaintEyning Mon 07-Nov-16 20:27:52

My GP said it was fine to have far more gaviscon than the dosage. I was drinking almost a bottle a week by the last month!

JackandBump Mon 07-Nov-16 20:36:25

I'm suffering too! Have you tried the extra strength gaviscon - available behind the counter from the chemist?

starsinyourpies Mon 07-Nov-16 20:51:28

Thank you for the drug recommendations! I may try them all (at once...)

gininteacupsandleavesonthelawn Mon 07-Nov-16 21:07:50

You can get ranitidine or omeprozole from doctor

AudreyBradshaw Tue 08-Nov-16 00:52:34

I've been chugging gaviscon from the bottle. Ranitidine is also excellent. Acidex is rubbish, don't buy that.

Imnotaslimjim Tue 08-Nov-16 00:55:48

A teaspoon of bicarbonate soda in warm water. Tastes rank but is like a miracle cure.

ClinkyMonkey Tue 08-Nov-16 01:09:04

Heartburn is no joke. Before I was pregnant, I would have struggled to understand just how bloody debilitating it can be. After everything stopped working for me during my second pregnancy, my GP suggested just drinking milk. I almost laughed in her face. I tried it out of desperation and it really did give me some relief. As cold as cold can be and drunk very slowly. Its not a perfect or permanent solution, but it stopped me putting my arm down my throat and ripping my stomach clean out shock.

ohdofeckoffnowdear Tue 08-Nov-16 01:14:08

Nexuim (sp?) is great to use while you get a doctors appointment. Think it's on offer in lloyds chemist ATM. As another poster says the gaviscon advanced, behind the counter is great. I also recommend a lovely cold glass of milk, does help.

Get down the doctors they can give you omeprazole, make sure you get the 20mg ones they are the best.

Not pregnant but I suffer from horrible heart burn.

Hope it eases for you op

starsinyourpies Tue 08-Nov-16 21:54:14

Thanks all, going to try to get a doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now