Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Elevated platelet levels showing on initial blood test

(4 Posts)
Difficultyear2015 Mon 07-Nov-16 09:49:19

Just received a letter through the post from the hospital to say that they want to run a new blood test as my initial results showed I had elevated platelet levels.

Obviously googling this I now fear all the worst.

Had anyone received the same letter?
What did it turn out to be?
Will I be ok?
Will the pregnancy be ok?

libm127 Mon 07-Nov-16 11:36:13

I haven't had this issue with platelets but, when I got my booking bloods back from the hospital, it said that my WBC and neutrophils were high and my lymphocytes were low, which made me panic... until I worked out that the reference ranges are different in pregnancy! I have no idea why the hospital prints the reference ranges for non-pregnant people on the letters.

So first of all, I'd check to see if you are actually outside of the pregnancy reference ranges - www.perinatology.com/Reference/Reference%20Ranges/Reference%20for%20Serum.htm

If you are still outside, give the doc a quick call, but try not to panic. My lymphocytes have recorded a bit low for years. They are low every time I have a FBC. If you Google that it sounds awful, but my doc eventually decided I probably just 'run' a bit low. Reference ranges are based on 95% of the population, so some people naturally fall outside of them.

Helbelle75 Mon 07-Nov-16 11:59:22

I've had this, but it just said 'increased platelets' and didn't give me any numbers. I asked at my 12 week scan and they said it was 4 above normal and they weren't concerned, but to get another blood test at 16 weeks, which I did. I've not heard anything back as yet so assuming all is fine.
Hope the doctor can put your mind at rest.

Trifleorbust Mon 07-Nov-16 12:40:40

Apparently quite common. It can mean your blood will clot more rapidly than normal. Apparently if you are dehydrated it can present with this result. Honestly, try not to worry - any medical issues you have will be clearly communicated and if there was risk to the baby I expect they would have told you already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now