Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sorry if this upsets anyone

(23 Posts)
mommyteeshh19 Mon 07-Nov-16 02:29:13

I just wanted to ask what the chance of a missed miscarriage is and what symptoms I would get? Haven't felt pregnant for a while and it's just playing on my mind (17 weeks first child) just need advice, some facts?

3luckystars Mon 07-Nov-16 03:32:36

Symptoms often disappear during the second trimester. I think after 12 weeks, your placenta takes over and the strong symptoms you have at the beginning can ease.

The only way to know what is going on is with a scan, are you due one soon? Or a doctor's visit?

SmallBee Mon 07-Nov-16 03:35:18

If you are worried phone your midwife in the morning, she'll be able to tell you the best thing to do.
Sorry I don't have any immediate advice and fingers crossed all is well flowers

isthistoonosy Mon 07-Nov-16 03:49:57

It might be a bit early in pregnancy to feel movement but you.could try having a very cold glass of juice and lying down in a calm room to see if you can feel any movement. As I say not feeling movement may just mean it is too early in your pregnancy.

MollyWho Mon 07-Nov-16 06:51:48

I'd recommend speaking to your midwife. I had a scheduled appointment with mine around 17 weeks and she had a listen for the heartbeat for me. It was difficult to find due to anterior placenta but she did. I'll add I was particularly anxious due to previous mc's.
The midwife was very understanding and invited me back anytime for a quick listen. I believe some midwives won't use a Doppler in case they don't find anything but I'd explained I was going for a private scan if she couldn't/wouldn't. Saved me the anxiety of another scan and £80. I also felt better that I had her backing if I got worried again.

SeashellHoarder Mon 07-Nov-16 06:53:30

Have you got a midwife appointment coming up? They may be able to hear the heartbeat by now.

If not, you could call and explain your worries and see if you can come in for a check.

I know how this feels though, pregnancy is a worrying time!

AliceThrewTheFookingPumpkin Mon 07-Nov-16 07:10:17

I'm not sure what the stats are for missed miscarriages but I believe around 1 in 4 pregnancies end in MC. I would imagine that the vast majority of those are first trimester though.

It's not unusual for women to not feel pregnant at this stage, particularly if they have little to no symptoms (which is also normal) but you should try and speak to your midwife if you're worried. She may be able to refer you for a scan to put your mind at rest or possibly try to listen to a HB, although it can be very difficult to hear one this early on so she might not do the latter in case it causes more worry than reassurance.

Celticlassie Mon 07-Nov-16 07:17:30

I'm 16 weeks and have virtually no symptoms. Am working very hard to convince myself that no blood = no bad news. I do have a midwife appointment this week though so am hoping she'll detect a heartbeat and put off my worrying for another few weeks. Pregnancy can be a horrible time.

OP, this was me during my whole pregnancy. I was so paranoid about losing the baby. I just had my midwife check the heart beat and every appointment I had with her (and she found it from 16 weeks)

drinkyourmilk Mon 07-Nov-16 08:18:48

Op my midwife has said that she will check the heartbeat whenever I'm nervous. Give your midwife a call. Fwiw I think a miscarriage after a good 12 week scan is rare. It obviously happens as we've read on here - but it's rare.

Macauley Mon 07-Nov-16 08:58:12

The chance of miscarriage after a 12 week scan reduces dramatically.

I felt exactly like you do between my 12 week and 20 week scan as my symptoms dropped off. I also didn't feel any real movements till about 22 weeks (anterior placenta which I found out about a 20 week scan). I spoke to my midwife about it and mine really helped me feel less anxious. There is more chance that everything is ok than not smile

Bella1985 Mon 07-Nov-16 09:34:24

I'm not really answering your question either, don't know the symptoms of mmc just repeating what others have said before me...the start of 2nd trimester for a first time mum is really quiet. My nausea went, boobs stopped hurting and seemed to deflate a little, tiredness disappeared, I felt perfectly normal and couldn't feel any baby movements until 19 weeks. Having seen a heartbeat at 12 week scan - chances are baby is well. Ring your MW for reassurance and try to enjoy feeling normal. I'm 32 weeks now and the list of symptoms at this stage is growing and exhausting Good luck and hope you get some reassurance soon flowers

LetsAllEatCakes Mon 07-Nov-16 13:12:36

I had no symptoms which is why it was missed until the scan. Often there aren't any for mmc.

Go and see your gp or midwife. Symptoms often peter out during the second trimester. Is the lack of symptoms the only reason you are worried about a mmc or have you miscarried before?

redjumper Mon 07-Nov-16 15:18:41

I'm 17 weeks pregnant too!
Although first trimester miscarriage is quite common, I've read that miscarriage in the second trimester is rare. I've seen stats that it's around 1% of pregnancies but I can't remember where I read that. Here's a link to a 'what to expect' article which quotes 1 in a 1000.
www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/miscarriage/

I think it's quite common for women to worry they've had a silent miscarriage at around 14-20 weeks because often the horrible pregnancy symptoms have gone but it's still too soon to feel baby's movement.

haveacupoftea Mon 07-Nov-16 17:32:30

I'm pretty sure I read that virtually all MMC happen in the first trimester.

cockermum85 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:42:49

Not sure I'm answering your question, but I'm 23+5 and have been exactly where you are. The waitafter your 12 week scan is killer, I am suffering with sickness still so Ihave symptoms but it's so easy to get paranoid. At 17 weeks, I had no bump, didn't feel anything other than the sickness and I was convinced something was wrong... however by 20 weeks I had a bump, muscle and ligament pain and was definitely feeling pregnant again. Every time I panicked I told myself that there are people who get to 8months before they find out they are pregnant... give your midwife a call though, I find them great for puting my mind at ease.

LHilton4981 Tue 08-Nov-16 14:00:52

I thought I just had wind movement up until around week 18 onwards I think so sometimes it's either not obvious or baby is just small & you have to concentrate to feel anything.
Definitely get checked out but try not to worry too much unnecessarily if baby is actually all fine as this may distress the little one if you're stressed flowers

Helbelle75 Tue 08-Nov-16 14:28:32

I'm 18 weeks at the moment, and don't have many symptoms either. We don't have our next scan for another 3 weeks and our midwife didn't listen to the heartbeat at the 16 week appointment so I'm just hoping that no bleeding is good news.
My bump is getting bigger and I have felt some fluttery movements, so that's keeping me going at the moment.

loz12345 Tue 08-Nov-16 21:06:26

I don't know if this is helpful but last year I had a mmc it was picked up at my 12 week scan, baby stopped growing at 11 weeks. The problem with mmc is that your body doesn't realise and you keep getting bigger and having symptoms they did advise that it is fairly rare in the scheme of things and unusual after 12 weeks. If you are not sure see your midwife they may even book you in for a scan to reassure you it's not worth worrying for a few weeks when you might be able to find out in a couple of days. Fwiw I had 0 symptoms when I had my son and worried the whole way through so it is possible xxxxxxx

mommyteeshh19 Thu 10-Nov-16 19:27:56

Hi everyone, thank you all for getting back at me so soon and replying. After a worrying long day I have heard my babies heart beat clearly and am happy to know that I'm still just too early to feel movements yet, but nothing is wrong. Again thank you for putting my mind at restflowers hope everyone is well x

drinkyourmilk Thu 10-Nov-16 21:36:24

Glad everything is well smile

LHilton4981 Sat 12-Nov-16 10:12:44

So pleased flowers

LetsAllEatCakes Sat 12-Nov-16 19:41:02

That's fantastic news flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now