Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dr says no antihistamines

(19 Posts)
Bloopbleep Fri 04-Nov-16 18:22:00

I was stuck sitting next to a cat owner today (they don't know they smell) and my allergies are haywire. Itchy eyes, runny nose etc. I've tried eye drops but they're making my eyes worse. I have nothing that would work short term for my nose. My GP says because I'm only 5+5 I'm not allowed to take antihistamines until I'm at least 9 weeks then I can take piriton.

What's the risk of taking piriton this early? I'm not wheezing thankfully so could survive with swollen eyes and a snottery beak for the night and hope it goes by morning but it's miserable.

PikachuSayBoo Fri 04-Nov-16 18:27:27

Afaik there's no known risks. Dr is just being cautious because obviously there's never been trials of any drugs on pregnant women, it's very unethical. The idea is that by ten weeks the major development of essential organs, etc has been completed so taking drugs after then is safer.

PikachuSayBoo Fri 04-Nov-16 18:29:51

www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/Medicine--pregnancy/Chlorphenamine/

You could ask about cyclizine? It's used to treat bad nausea in pregnancy and is actually an anti histamine.

Bloopbleep Fri 04-Nov-16 18:33:19

Thanks Pikachu -my GP refuses to prescribe cycliZine too for the same reason that it's too risky. I've asked both at the practice and both say the same thing.

dementedpixie Fri 04-Nov-16 18:37:16

Loratidine and cetirizine are considered ok in pregnancy

musicmomma Fri 04-Nov-16 18:37:40

This is very strange. I was on cyclizine for weeks and weeks due to severe morning sickness and this was fine. I'm now taking antihistamines as I have m.e and this triggers off an allergic type reaction when I am run down (or growing a human) I get the runny nose, itchy eyes, skin reactions, the works, but not triggered by anything. It just happens, so I have to take something or else I don't sleep/can't do anything/get more and more exhausted

dementedpixie Fri 04-Nov-16 18:38:34

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/935.aspx?CategoryID=73&SubCategoryID=107

Bloopbleep Fri 04-Nov-16 19:41:13

Thanks! dementedpixie and musicmomma I don't know why they're both insistent I can't have it as I've been researching and loads of people seem to get prescribed before 9weeks. They tell me to put up with the sickness too, suggested ginger which after dd I can't even think about without feeling ill. If I could get cyclizine it could sort the allergies and sickness.

I too find heightened allergies to absolutely nothing (or everything) while pregnant... I know it was cat lady today tho as she smelled of cats.

ConvincingLiar Fri 04-Nov-16 19:45:01

Ditto. Mine disapproved of any allergy treatment apart from an asthma inhaler. Thankfully it was coming to the end of hay fever season when we discussed it. I am avoiding cats.

Dixiechick17 Fri 04-Nov-16 20:03:54

Haymax is a barrier balm you can put on your nose. It says for pollen, but may help. It's organic and suitable for children so worth a try if ok to use when pregnant

missymousey Fri 04-Nov-16 20:24:14

Vaseline really helps me. I went to stay with friends who have 3 cats, dreading lack of antihistamines. I put vaseline round my nostrils and eyes a few times each day and was pretty much fine the whole time.

divadee Fri 04-Nov-16 20:24:31

I have an unknown food allergy that we are trying to pin down. We think it's a rapeseed oil one but who knows. When it comes on my lips swell and I get very itchy all over and eyes swell. I have to take piriton within 5-10 mins or it just gets worse and worse.

My GP has said in an allergy scenario the benefits outweigh the risks and if I had left it without piriton then a&e would give me far worse drugs.

jamaisjedors Fri 04-Nov-16 20:25:59

Try quercetin and bromelain, it works for me. Neal's yard have agood supplement with quercetin and nettle.
No other herbal remedies have worked for me.

Princessdelrey Fri 04-Nov-16 20:50:27

I had the worst hay fever of my life pregnant. I only took two in the 9 months but I had to otherwise I would of passed out from sneezing and the swelling.

As long as you don't take them everyday you should be fine. There's no known side effects from them

OhtoblazeswithElvira Fri 04-Nov-16 20:56:21

The GPs are being ridiculous. I was on cyclizine throughout my first pregnancy, from 5 weeks- I had hyperemesis and cyclizine literally saved my life. DD is 6 and absolutely fine if a bit wacky.

Bloopbleep Sat 05-Nov-16 17:21:34

I've read a lot about cyclizine for sickness ohtoblazes but my GP just won't take the risk. I'm going to take nice guidelines along and print outs from the medicines in pregnancy website which told me all about risks and tests. Someone suggested for sickness there's a helpline I can phone so if I can get cyclizine it will help with the allergies too!

Shadowboy Sun 06-Nov-16 14:19:07

I've been prescribed antihistamines for itching during latter pregnancy (but only after bile acids were checked) they are only 4mg

Bloopbleep Sun 06-Nov-16 14:21:54

Shadow boy- I was told I can get them from 2nd trimester onwards but nothing in first

dementedpixie Sun 06-Nov-16 14:51:07

If you want to take them then you can buy loratidine and cetirizine over the counter at supermarkets/chemists/home bargains type places. There is no need for a prescription

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now