Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can't get my head around dates

(6 Posts)
lissaconnelly9 Fri 04-Nov-16 17:25:59

I'm absolutely blaming baby brain for my confusion with this because it's never been an issue for me before! Not sure if it's a case of over-thinking something so much that it doesn't seem real anymore (I do that with words ALL the time), but please help me make sense of my dates.

I'm dated as being 23 weeks pregnant today (Friday).

The first day of my last period was 28th May (Saturday).

I had a pretty regular cycle (30-31 days), so assumed that I would have ovulated between 11th-16th June.

I've had quite a few scans this pregnancy - one very early on (6 weeks aprox) due to bleeding, one at 11 weeks due to bleeding, one at 12+5 on the NHS, one at 16+3 as a gender scan, and one at 20 weeks exactly with the NHS. At every single one of these scans the baby has been measured at being spot on for his dates and I have always been given the same due date: 3rd March 17.

But now if I count back on my phone 23 weeks, it takes me to 27th May - 1 day before my period started. This is something that I just can't get my head around - I thought that it was only in the first few weeks that baby was dated from my LMP, and that it might be one or two weeks out due to ovulation dates.

My baby can't possibly be 23 weeks old - can he? Isn't he more like 22/21 weeks, as this will be when I ovulated?

(Sorry if I'm not making any sense - I'm not making much sense to myself, either!)

sleepyMe12 Fri 04-Nov-16 17:27:33

Dates are usually the first day of your last period.

bobcat85 Fri 04-Nov-16 17:31:01

Your dates will count from the first day of your last period. So it would be two weeks before you ovulated.

MoonlightMojitos Fri 04-Nov-16 18:02:11

As others have said it is still dated as including 2 weeks from period to ovulation. So there will always be 2 weeks added on to when you actually conceived. Your due date will be 38 weeks from when you conceived but they just confuse everyone by calling it 40 weeks as they add those 2 extra on.

Dixiechick17 Fri 04-Nov-16 18:08:18

40 weeks of pregnancy includes the two weeks before conception that you aren't actually pregnant. So all measurements dates etc always take those two weeks into account. Yes, confusing smile if you follow a pregnancy app it will always talk about your first two weeks being the egg developing and making its way down the fallopian tube ready for conception

lissaconnelly9 Fri 04-Nov-16 18:21:36

Thanks so much everyone - I just find it all so confusing!! I have the Ovia pregnancy app but still couldn't make much sense of it blush.

I think it makes it worse that my midwife mentioned that my dates from scans might be a week or two out due to ovulation, but I'm glad to have cleared it all up.

Still doesn't stop me from being embarrassed about my confusion over the obvious! blush Thanks again for all of your help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now