Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feel like my body is failing me..why won't I go into labour?

(12 Posts)
Baz13 Fri 04-Nov-16 07:24:02

Pretty much what the title says! I'm 40+5

I had a stretch and sweep on Tuesday and was told I am between 2-3 cm dilated, she could feel baby's head moving when she was sweeping and my waters were bulging. Brilliant I thought, not too long until she makes her grand appearance! Urgh, but how wrong was I? I'm still pregnant, fed up, emotional and pretty much pissed off sad

I have been having mild contractions since Tuesday evening that never get frequent or stronger in pain. I feel like my body is failing me, and doesn't work properly. I'm on the brink and find it annoying when people keep saying 'haven't you had her yet?' Grrrrrr ' oh shit, that's what I left at home, the baby!! I know people mean well, and are making polite conversation....but I have had enough now.

On the positive side (really need to think positive or I will scream) I think I will be booked in for an induction next Friday; and so the count down begins again..7 days!

Paddingtonthebear Fri 04-Nov-16 07:30:10

Sympathies.

It's not unusual especially if it's your first. I went over 42 weeks and was then induced. And she still didn't want to come out!

Try to relax. It will happen one way or another!

Jodie1982 Fri 04-Nov-16 08:12:29

Bulging waters sound good, once they go you'll be well on your way. Just need them to pop, do you have a birthing ball?

ohanami Fri 04-Nov-16 09:01:55

It sounds like you're in the home straight. Agree with pp- get bouncing on a ball or try to keep upright, try to relax, put on a chick flick to help the right hormones flow. It's a long time until next Friday in baby terms and the fact things are already progressing without being in proper labour is a good start.

If it helps reassure you, I was 2-3cm at 40+4, then 3cm at 2pm 41+0. Similarly I'd had gentle contractions going nowhere for days. At 6pm 41+0 we left for hospital and 9.30 we had a baby. I'd been going up the walls thinking it would never happen (and was trying for vbac so the clock was ticking!) and then all of a sudden we had a baby in our arms. Your body might be helping to move the baby into a good position with the slow contractions.

Good luck!

ComputerDog Fri 04-Nov-16 09:18:43

I know how frustrating it is to be in your situation so...sympathies --although you're actually really not that overdue, yet-

But, please be careful with the "my body is failing me" line of thinking. If you end up being induced, you haven't failed. If you need forceps or ventouse, you haven't failed. If you end up with an emergency Caesarean, you haven't failed. If breastfeeding doesn't work out, you haven't failed.

Hopefully all will go smoothly for you. But just be careful not to internalise too much of the "ideal birth" stuff if you can. For the vast majority of women everything works out just fine, but equally very few find things go exactly as they wanted/planned/expected!

ComputerDog Fri 04-Nov-16 09:20:23

Ooops, strike through fail.

Trifleorbust Fri 04-Nov-16 09:20:43

40 weeks is just the average - you aren't really 'late' as such. Probably not helping here! But try not to think of it as failing to do anything because it really isn't. Your body will do what it needs to do and if you need intervention that will happen soon. Good luck flowers

Dixiechick17 Fri 04-Nov-16 10:45:24

I had my sweep on a Wednesday, similar in that I was 2-3cm, waters bulging etc, I popped on the Monday, the day my second sweep was due and had no contractions in between. So fingers crossed you'll pop over the weekend, and positive is that you're already 2-3cm, so at least you won't go in during labour and be told you're only 1, part way there already smile

ElspethFlashman Fri 04-Nov-16 10:47:27

Yeah....it's not failing you....it just not ready.

(Another here who went to 42 weeks with the first)

My sympathies though as it was the longest most frustrating 2 weeks of my life.

Baz13 Sat 05-Nov-16 04:11:28

Thank you for all the comments. This is my third baby- I had an emergency c-section with my first, at 40+10 and had pessary's and got to 4 cm with no pains, a vbac with my second and was 2-3 cm for a week with no pains or even a twinge! (had 3 sweeps at 39 weeks and was induced at 40+2)

It just feels like my body just doesn't want to work if that makes sense, i'm just very hormonal and emotional and really didn't think it would take this long - although as you have pointed out 40+5 [well 6 now ;)] isn't that far overdue; but it really does feel like it!

However, I keep reminding myself that by next weekend I will have a baby in my arms smile.

I also have a ball, and have been bouncing on it no end.

lilywhite32 Sat 05-Nov-16 04:16:41

40+3 here today and I feel your frustration. So difficult waiting for things to happen at this stage. sad

YokoUhOh Sat 05-Nov-16 04:21:26

OP I was 3cm 2 hours before DS2 arrived, then my waters broke and he was out in a couple of pushes. Try not to worry! Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now