Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vegetarian omega 3 supplement safe to take during pregnancy

(9 Posts)
user1478187907 Thu 03-Nov-16 15:59:10

Hi

I have just found out I am 5 weeks pregnant and over the moon although keeping it under wraps until I reach the 12 week scan. I am vegetarian and don't eat fish. I am taking pregnacare original tablets every day and not pregnacare plus (as the omega 3 contains fish oil) - can anyone please recommend a supplement I can take that is suitable for vegetarians and contains a safe amount during pregnancy? Thanks

HiDBandSIL Thu 03-Nov-16 16:08:33

I took these through 2 pregnancies opti3omega.com/

Congratulations!

HiDBandSIL Thu 03-Nov-16 16:13:38

The same company sells vitamin d3 sprays that you can give to your baby. I can't for the moment remember where most vitamin D comes from but it's not vegetarian.

LilQueenie Thu 03-Nov-16 16:18:24

vitamin d comes from either lanolin which is vegetarian or d2 made from yeast and vegan. I used pregnacare original with no problems.

BestZebbie Thu 03-Nov-16 16:22:49

I took the algae based omega 3 tablets from Holland and Barrett. They come in a brown resealable envelope type packet.

HiDBandSIL Thu 03-Nov-16 16:46:14

Oh sorry! If it's the lanolin one the issue is that some people prefer to avoid products derived from lanolin because of concerns about toxins from the products used to treat sheep against lice etc. Same reason that some people prefer to avoid Lansinoh and other lanolin containing nipple creams.

Samila Thu 10-Nov-16 11:18:24

Thanks all

Does anyone know if these are ok to take?

www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/together-natural-algae-dha-omega-3-softgels-60010638

Samila Thu 10-Nov-16 11:19:07

Thank you - are these ok? Is the quantity in this ok too? Thanks

www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/together-natural-algae-dha-omega-3-softgels-60010638

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 10-Nov-16 11:23:06

LilQueenie You can get vegan D3 too.

OP you are better checking with your MW than on MN

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now