Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pain round the ribs

(17 Posts)
Bubbinsmakesthree Thu 03-Nov-16 08:27:31

I think this is called 'rib flare' - a stabbing, burning pain round the ribs. For me it's round the right hand side from front to back about the level of the bra line.

I had exactly the same thing in my first pregnancy, and it was horrible and constantly uncomfortable, but at least it didn't hit until the the 3rd trimester. This time round it's hit at 16 weeks FFS!

Has anyone found any successful ways to manage the pain? Am wondering if it is worth seeing a professional (physiology or something). I can't face 6 months of this!

Bubbinsmakesthree Thu 03-Nov-16 08:29:00

That would have said physiotherapist if autocorrect hadn't got involved!

Watchingitall Thu 03-Nov-16 08:46:03

I had it with dd and then horrendously when ds arrived. I saw alsortd of people but they said there wasn't anything they could do. It was so bad I had pins and needles under my ribs for about four weeks after he was born.
The only thing that gave me a bit of relief was doing a bit of yoga- it was like it forced him to wriggle his foot. He was 9lb15 when he arrived so no wonder he was a bit squashed.
Hope you find some relief. It's really annoying. Xx

stealthbanana Thu 03-Nov-16 08:57:14

I have this. They say it's costochondritis. I have a physio get in there and mobilise the ribs. Self massaging (sort of digging your fingers in between the ribs) helps too, even though it's painful to do at the time!

My doctor has also said that if the pain gets very bad they can give me an injection for pain relief but I haven't cracked yet.

Bubbinsmakesthree Thu 03-Nov-16 09:19:43

watching I had immediate relief from the pain after my last birth, it's a toss up whether I was more excited about that than having a nice squishy newborn!

stealth are you seeing a physio privately or did you get referred via your GP? Is it worth going to the GP? I've got my 16 week MW appointment next week but if it's the same disinterested, useless woman I saw for booking in I am not holding out much hope of that achieving much.

Yoga was helpful last time and got my first class of this pregnancy tonight.

stealthbanana Thu 03-Nov-16 09:23:42

Private physio. No time to wait for a nhs referral!

I find any kind of movement helpful (except for breaststroke in the pool) - it's worst for me when sitting down, in the car is the absolute worst.

Bubbinsmakesthree Thu 03-Nov-16 19:27:50

Yes sitting down is the worst. Last time I got one of those 'kneeling stools' for the office which was helpful, and a lumbar support in the car (but placed higher up than you would normally) helped make car journeys less painful.

Exercise is good but combination of SPD and on-going morning sickness isn't helping me get much!

stealthbanana Thu 03-Nov-16 19:29:56

I've got ongoing morning sickness too. It's the worst. Maybe there's a link?!

Ugh. This pregnancy thing is v undignified, isn't it?!

LundyFastnetIrishSea Thu 03-Nov-16 19:43:50

I had this, it started at 14 weeks.

I'm now 39 weeks and haven't had a single day's reprieve yet sad

I find not wearing a bra helps a tiny bit. And not sitting in a chair-office chair or dining chair. Or a sporty car seat. Or lying on your side as ribs feel like they're caving in on each other. Which leaves the option of sleeping on your back, which isn't great either when you're pregnant!

Sympathy from me. It sucks!

Bubbinsmakesthree Fri 04-Nov-16 01:44:47

Urgh Lundy how miserable! You're nearly at the finish line at least, hope it disappears immediately after the birth for you like it did for me!

stealth and miserable that you've still got morning sickness too, how far along are you? Last time my morning sickness cleared by the end of the first trimester and the rib pain didn't kick in until the 3rd. No such luck this time!

stealthbanana Fri 04-Nov-16 07:08:53

I'm 32w bubbins. MS never went away and the rib pain probably started at around the 24w mark. It's awful!

SprogletsMum Fri 04-Nov-16 07:12:33

I'm 16 weeks and have rib pain. It started about 3 weeks ago on and off but is constant now.
I find mine is eased a little bit by being on all fours. I was hoping it would ease off going till April with this pain is not going to be fun.

Borisisback Fri 04-Nov-16 09:55:30

I had this at a similar stage! Physio and midwife said there wasn't much they could do. I also stopped wearing a bra and switched to stretchy vest tops. Being in water helped me. Sympathies.

Bubbinsmakesthree Sat 05-Nov-16 20:23:55

Did prenatal yoga today and the pain hasn't been as bad since (still there, just not as constant or as agonising), fingers crossed yoga keeps working!

stealthbanana Mon 07-Nov-16 21:56:45

It's definitely better when you keep the ribs moving. Must keep hauling my fat pregnant bum to various classes!

SunnySideDownUp Mon 07-Nov-16 22:02:05

I have this as well, thankfully I'm 36 weeks so only a few weeks left. I've had it since 16 weeks. It's so painful it's like a broken rib at times. All the GP offered was paracetamol...!

Pilates helps a lot. I take my bra off all the time at home. Try not to sit for too long, or carry anything if out and about. Everything gets hooked over the buggy/dh! A warm pack also helps.

Jodie1982 Mon 07-Nov-16 22:36:52

I get this but in the back of the ribs just below the shoulder blade on the right, it's agonising! I have mentioned it to midwifes n docs at maternity triage before but I get no advice or help. Its horrible like a deep burning pain and the odd stabbing pain. 😕

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now