Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

False Positive?

(20 Posts)
Bunnyc Wed 02-Nov-16 16:26:11

I've been reading lots of varied opinions/experiences about clearblue pregnancy tests. Some women have said they have got false positives and some women real positives. So my fiancée and I got two clearblue tests (picture included) and he peed on one and so did I, using first morning urine. Mine came up with a faint positive but my fiancée's didn't. I'm still not sure if they're actually accurate or not, can anyone give me advice or opinions? I'm desperate here

Bunnyc Wed 02-Nov-16 16:27:36

These are the tests, forgot to add the photo

Passmethecrisps Wed 02-Nov-16 16:31:25

My understanding is that you cannot get a false positive. What you might experience is a chemical pregnancy so it would show as positive a few days before af is due but then Af appears as normal

Passmethecrisps Wed 02-Nov-16 16:33:19

Sorry - should've explained that this is why some women may feel they have had a false positive. It was genuine but short lived

If you got a line then you are pregnant flowers

Bunnyc Wed 02-Nov-16 16:37:44

I've recently come off the depo and don't have regular periods again yet but the doctor said I'm still ovulating and encouraged us to try, I just don't know if I could be pregnant by a missed period obviously, so we've just tested two weeks after, I'm just worried about what I've read about clearblue being unreliable

TerriB84 Wed 02-Nov-16 16:46:23

Passmethecrisps is right. Chemical pregnancies are very common and with women testing ever earlier these will be picked up by any tests that are sensitive enough to detect pregnancy before the day of expected period. It is then easily dismissed as a 'false positive'.

On a completely separate note if your DP had produced a positive result this can be a sign of testicular cancer.

TerriB84 Wed 02-Nov-16 16:48:39

Meant to add, if you are still worried/unsure do another test in a couple of days. It should get darker.

BabyBumpHopeful Thu 03-Nov-16 02:27:15

Passmethecups is both right and wrong about false positives.

Unfortunately blue dye tests are quite notorious for evap lines, this isn't actually a positive but some people think they are. They tend to occur more after the wait time has expired (so if it says "don't read after 10 mins).

How soon after taking the test did it come up positive? If in doubt, do a First Response Early Result (FRER) or another type of pink dye test, bearing in mind that not all tests are equal and some are more (or less) sensitive than the others.

Bunnyc Thu 03-Nov-16 10:03:12

The lines on clearblue have come up straight away
I've taken a FRER test and there was a very faint line there

BabyBumpHopeful Thu 03-Nov-16 12:15:47

Then you're pregnant! I'd always trust a FRER!

Congratulations!!

duxb Thu 03-Nov-16 12:37:21

I'm currently 36+5 with my positive off one of those clear blue tests.

I think as the line has to have the colour in and the blue dye tests can often be misread (grey lines, evaporation lines after the test reading window etc) then people claim they are notorious for false positives.

If you've followed up the test and got another positive result then I'd say you're pregnant - congratulations!

Bunnyc Thu 03-Nov-16 12:48:30

I keep getting positives on those clearblue tests, the line is blue as well. But I've just done a FRER test that came out negative

Becciilouisex3 Thu 03-Nov-16 13:31:56

False positives are generally evap lines mistaken for positives. If the HCG isn't there, it won't be detected and a positive line won't appear.

You've gotten multiple positives so you ARE pregnant. Stop testing, wait a couple of days and test again if you really need to. You probably need to let the HCG build up in your body again because you've tested a lot.

Bunnyc Thu 03-Nov-16 13:56:47

It's very hard to wait when I don't know what's going on but I will, I still don't believe I'm pregnant

Passmethecrisps Fri 04-Nov-16 07:20:00

But you have had lines on every test you have taken so I would say it is pretty conclusive.

Make an appointment with your GP and ask them to run a urine test. However, it ian worth noting that my GP at least said it wasn't worth it a short the over the counter tests were so reliable and exactly the same as the ones they use.

When I was in the early stages of my first pregnancy my lovely ante-natal group had a mantra "today, I am pregnant". Beyond that there is little else you can do

Bunnyc Fri 04-Nov-16 09:36:18

I'm going to test in about 5 days. This morning I woke up dizzy and I feel so exhausted

idontlikealdi Fri 04-Nov-16 09:42:10

I thought you couldn't get a false positive - I would say you're pregnant.

whycanineverthinkofausername Sat 05-Nov-16 02:31:40

I'm in the same position except I may have a false positive from medication so it's a waiting game for me too.

Nikki2ol6 Sat 05-Nov-16 10:51:51

I had a false positive on one of those. It was a very faint blue line, there was two in the box so after seeing a faint line appear I got the other test and dipped that into my pee also! That one was negative and i rang the number on the back and they said they had a few calls saying the same and sent me out a free test but by the time it arrived I had started my period anyways

Bunnyc Sat 05-Nov-16 13:43:41

I've been complaining to clearblue because it's just not acceptable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now