Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fundal Height measurement

(8 Posts)
PippaRose Tue 01-Nov-16 19:53:11

Evening all,

So I had my 28 week appt today and my fundal height measurement came in at 26cm.

At my 26 week appt the measurement was 28cm. So quite a difference in those 2 weeks.

Midwife wasn't sure of next steps so is going to call me tomorrow but wondered if anyone else had had inconsistent measurements?

Movements seem fine, had different midwives at 26 and 28 wk appts so I don't know if they measure differently but am now worrying!

gunting Tue 01-Nov-16 19:56:42

I had this, I don't think it's a very accurate way of determining the size of a baby plus I'm sure babies can't shrink.

Anyway, in my last fundal measurement they predicted DS would be 7lbs and he was 10lb 6oz so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

PippaRose Tue 01-Nov-16 21:30:54

Thanks gunting, will try not to think too much about it and see what midwife says

smellsofelderberries Tue 01-Nov-16 22:31:58

I've never heard of anyone actually having anything wrong after a dodgy fundal measurement. At my 35 week appointment I measured 35cm. At my 36 week appointment I measured 33 hmm had a growth scan the next day and everything was fine. I'm still measuring a few cms behind but because of how she's positioned the midwives aren't concerned.

BabyBumpHopeful Wed 02-Nov-16 02:08:03

I'm in the US and they don't do fundal measurements on me, I have monthly ultrasounds instead. They told me that because I was overweight when I got pregnant they "can't rely" on my fundal height measurements. As they hadn't measured my fundal height at any point and I've lost 18lbs (and bubs is growing well so it's actually likely to be far more) I think it's complete bullshit.

Can't say I'm upset to see baby pics though, another ultrasound on Thursday smile

LolaStarr Wed 02-Nov-16 02:36:41

I had a growth scan at 36 weeks with DS because of inconsistent fundal height after I had a different midwife to my usual one - it turned out the first one hadn't been measuring it properly and DS was fine. Try not to worry flowers

GreenSpaghetti Wed 02-Nov-16 03:57:53

Having different midwives do the measurements definitely has an affect. I had very similar to you and it was all absolutely fine. Try and look at it as another chance to see your baby as pp says.

PippaRose Wed 02-Nov-16 09:04:06

Thanks all, scan not been suggested as yet so will ask for one when midwife calls later today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now