Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do I really need maternity tights, if so which are good?

(46 Posts)
Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 01-Nov-16 08:14:41

I managed without maternity tights last time but I had a summer baby so wasn't heavily pregnant in tight-wearing weather.

Is it worth investing or can I make do wearing my normal tights under my bump?

And what brands are good?

Flanderspigeonmurderer Tue 01-Nov-16 08:16:30

I tried just wearing normal tights and they dig in too much under the bump. H&M and asos are ok, they both came down a bit but i am on the tall side.

duxb Tue 01-Nov-16 08:17:23

George at Asda are amazing. I tried to just buy a size up in normal tights and finally relented at 31 weeks and got maternity tights - I've never been more comfortable in my life!

Inthenick Tue 01-Nov-16 08:18:53

I just went with leggings rather than tights for my winter babies. Can't imagine tights would be very comfy even maternity ones but I didn't really try them.

Twolittlejobbys Tue 01-Nov-16 08:27:19

I bought a size or two bigger (depending on how big your bump is) and wore them back to front! Comfy for me although I didn't wear tights much tbf smile

GinIsIn Tue 01-Nov-16 08:30:08

I HATE maternity tights with a passion. I have tried almost all of them now. The best ones in terms of fit are primark maternity tights but the quality is terrible so they shred after a wear or two. Boots and M&S ones aren't terrible but they come up really small.

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 01-Nov-16 08:30:46

Flanders I'm 6ft and hitching up too-short tights is bane of my life! It's a challenge for me to find well fitting tights at the best of times.

inthenick I wear smart dresses for work so tights are a must for me!

welshweasel Tue 01-Nov-16 08:33:49

I'm almost 6 foot and found new look were the only ones that were long enough and didn't fall down.

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 01-Nov-16 09:13:03

Good tip welsh

hels18 Tue 01-Nov-16 09:23:28

I found that regular tights were uncomfortable and cut into my stomach in the wrong places. The thick black George at Asda ones are very good (stay up over bump & v comfortable) but their natural coloured were too thin, laddered on my toes and useless after one wear.

JassyRadlett Tue 01-Nov-16 10:22:29

I'm also tall. The only way I could get maternity tights to stay up was to put a pair of pants on over the top, superman-style.

rachelamy Tue 01-Nov-16 10:25:51

i tried new look maternity tights and they would not stay up at all! ended up with my bum out under my dress just walking 10 metres!blush

kikisdelivery Tue 01-Nov-16 10:41:17

I tried M&S maternity tights over late summer (our office aircon is freezing constantly!) and they were terrible - always sliding down. I assumed it was because my bump was pretty non-existent then, but they're still the same now.

To be honest the best i've found are the normal extra large M&S tights rather than specific maternity branded ones! I'm tall too, and extra-large gives me loads of room to hitch the tights right up over my bump and feel comfortable. Maternity tights always felt too slippy.

BellesBelles Tue 01-Nov-16 10:56:21

kiki I was just about to say M&S extra large too!! Great minds! I tried a lot of maternity tights, they tend to be expensive and come up small, more suitable for a 4-5 month bump than 6 months and beyond, or are a bad fit. M&S extra large did the job nicely.

quicklydecides Tue 01-Nov-16 10:58:20

I used spanx maternity and my god it was like having somebody walk round with me carrying my bump!!
Absolutely brilliant, the support was wonderful..

BellesBelles Tue 01-Nov-16 11:02:14

quickly agree spanx maternity is good for heavy bump days! It stops the bump pulling on your skin so much, I think.

randomsabreuse Tue 01-Nov-16 11:03:44

Knee high boots with leggings looks smart if you'd wear opaque tights with the dresses. I found knee high boots with supportive insoles a total lifesaver in later pregnancy and in winter warm socks were really welcome too!

Artandco Tue 01-Nov-16 11:09:21

Normal tights fine here. Tip is to buy basic black pants and wear over the outside superman style if they keep falling down

dingdongdigeridoo Tue 01-Nov-16 11:41:28

If you're wearing boots, then leggings are much more comfy. I didn't find any tights that weren't either saggy or too tight around the bump.

TurquoiseDress Tue 01-Nov-16 12:41:49

Yes it's well worth investing in some maternity tights for the the comfort factor!

Brown76 Tue 01-Nov-16 13:07:42

Seraphine maternity leggings are super comfortable and although expensive are thicker than tights so won't ladder and last longer. Also look quite luxe so suitable for work wear or parties, or under tunics.

middlings Tue 01-Nov-16 14:35:52

M&S didn't do them in my day (all of four years ago) so I got Seraphine & JoJo Maman Bebé ones.

I found them very good - but I'm only 5'4"

Cosmicglitterghoul Tue 01-Nov-16 14:43:03

I never got in with maternity tight so used Seraphine leggings. They were excellent.

fruityb Tue 01-Nov-16 14:47:35

I had some from boots that were awesome. Fit well and came right over my bump, sat under my boobs lol.

OH obviously found them mega attractive smile he still jokes about them now. Lived in them till summer kicked in and I got too hot.

Callmecordelia Tue 01-Nov-16 14:48:15

Seraphine leggings here too. Wore them under dresses for work, with boots and they were very smart. I hate maternity tights, and they work out so expensive when they ladder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now