Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First aid for after birth?

(8 Posts)
Craftycakey15 Sun 30-Oct-16 19:48:59

I have heard about using witch hazel on sanitary towels for after birth. Has anyone done this before? How much do I put on the towel? I then freeze them? Thanks in advance!

boopdoop Sun 30-Oct-16 20:28:50

I've had this recommended by several people, but ended up having a CS so didn't need to do it. I was told, put witch hazel on the pad (not sure how much but I guess trail and error on s couple and you'd work it out) and pop it in the fridge for a couple of hours before. They suggested just doing one each time you change for the next time. Hope that helps.

Gardenbirdy Sun 30-Oct-16 20:38:35

I can't advise on the witch hazel but I can recommend the big, thick, cheap supermarket-brand maternity towels for post-birth. I thought I'd just use Always but found the extra thickness more comfortable on my poor, battered fanjo! Also stock up on some paracetamol and inbruprofen - fine with breastfeeding and saves you having to go to the shop.

iknowimcoming Sun 30-Oct-16 20:48:15

Is lavender and tee tree oil in the bath still a thing? Helped me but that was a few years ago!

iknowimcoming Sun 30-Oct-16 20:48:39

Tea tree obviously blush

Pestilence13610 Sun 30-Oct-16 20:53:29

Do not freeze them. The last thing you want is frostbite.

Craftycakey15 Sun 30-Oct-16 22:49:15

Thank you, I thought freezing would be a bit much! Baby is overdue now but will have all this ready!

SockQueen Mon 31-Oct-16 10:22:28

Second the big fat cheap supermarket/Boots maternity pads rather than slimline ones like Always - it's nice to have a bit of cushioning! And get loads more than you think you'll need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now