Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I go cold turkey on my herbal remedies now I've got a BFP?

(9 Posts)
HighHopes16 Fri 28-Oct-16 10:12:56

I had a miscarriage in July and the scan that confirmed it suggested I may have pcos (irregular cycles, cysts on my ovaries, acne etc..)

I'm awaiting a nhs referral to endocrinology to discuss this but in the meantime I did some research on herbal remedies and started taking agnus castus and Inositol to regulate my cycles, promote fertility, balance hormones etc.

This morning I got a BFP and now I'm not sure if I'm meant to completely stop these herbal remedies, wean myself off or keep taking them.

Studies show inositol helps prevent gestational diabetes and agnus castus increases progesterone (a lack of this can cause early miscarriage) so in some ways I would like to keep taking them however I don't want to be causing any damage.

Can anyone help??

AnneLovesGilbert Fri 28-Oct-16 12:08:22

Big congrats on your BFP, how exciting!

I don't have a clue about carrying on with your remedies so hopefully someone else will be along. Would there be any harm in stopping till you can ask someone medical?

TirednessIsComing Fri 28-Oct-16 12:08:47

Are they medicines (regulated) or supplements (completely unregulated)? I'm big on the Medicines not so on supplements.

I'd speak to gp but general advice is to avoid herbal meds during pregnancy and herbal supplements...Could have anything in so I wouldn't trust.

HighHopes16 Fri 28-Oct-16 12:18:00

They are supplements.
The Inositol is a type of B vitamin
The Agnus Castus is a type of plant.
I mentioned the AC to my GP last time I had an appointment and he had never heard of it.
I'd rather let nature take its course but I'd rather not go cold turkey if that's going to have a negative effect if you know what I mean?
I think because my last pregnancy ended in miscarriage, I am just so nervous about doing anything wrong!

TirednessIsComing Fri 28-Oct-16 12:26:46

I know what Angus castus is but a lot of the Herbals come in both forms. I wouldn't trust supplements but that's my personal view. Can your gp to refer you to someone who knows what ac is? Do you have low progesterone?

Vitamins surely the gp should know about?

I'm not surprised you are anxious, I feel the same with my second. It is such a minefield.

birdling Fri 28-Oct-16 13:27:59

From what I remember, agnus castus is only supposed to be taken in the first half of your cycle as it can prevent implantation in the second half. Not sure if that means it could cause miscarriage or not though. Sorry, not particularly helpful, am I?!

summerskittles91 Fri 28-Oct-16 14:00:30

I would stop them. I took a lot of herbal stuff and was told to stop when I got pregnant.

All i'd take is a multivitamin or folic acid. x

HighHopes16 Fri 28-Oct-16 14:09:53

There is just so many differing views, I'm not sure what to do for the best.
I think I might just slowly lower the doses week by week and wean myself off them as I've read that going cold turkey causes a sudden drop in hormones which can lead to miscarriage.

summerskittles91 Fri 28-Oct-16 14:46:26

I was on herbal remedies and still had a MC. so I cut them out completely and took only folic acid, and then a multivitamin.

To be on the safe side I would let your GP know if you're going to continue with these or not, as it could cause implications further on.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, but folic acid is the only thing your baby needs initially.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now