Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Give up hope? Bleeding at 9 weeks

(11 Posts)
emily1875 Fri 28-Oct-16 10:05:10

Hi All,

Started bleeding on Tuesday evening - red blood with clots, accompanied by pain. I went to A&E on Wednesday and had a scan yesterday. The scan showed the pregnancy sack but nothing more. Midwife said may be too early to see a heartbeat and I have another scan for Friday 4th November.

Everything that I have read says that if you have pain, red blood and clots, then it's probably a miscarriage. I don't know whether to mourn now or hold off until the 4th. Am I making myself more miserable by uselessly holding on to some hope? I continue to bleed and have awful cramps. Apparently this can go on for up to two weeks if a miscarriage.

Am so upset - we have been trying for over two years and on top of that have had a really difficult few years, some awful things have happened in our family and this was the first piece of good news in a long time, now dashed.

Anyway, sorry to moan. Just thought I would seek advice and/or the thoughts of others. I know it must be a miscarriage... I hate that I have to wait until next week to know for sure. I want to expunge all hope.. I think. I feel very confused.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks,

E

sweetchilli77 Fri 28-Oct-16 10:33:13

Hi
So sorry your going through this. I didn't want to read and run

By no means am i an expert however when i was 7 weeks i had a scan (private) and you could see the heart beat at this stage. I feel if you was 9 week then the midwife should see a heart beat and the foetal pole. I really have no idea why they would put you through this and wait another week.

It may well be you have miscarried earlier but are only now beginning to bleed?

I really hope i am wrong and the midwife is right x keep us updated if you feel up to it x

OrianaBanana Fri 28-Oct-16 10:37:23

I had heavy bleeding, clots and painful cramps. I'm afraid it was an early miscarriage of a much longed-for baby in my case, although the one sympathetic midwife I spoke to (the others were just coldly matter of fact) told me it was surprising what some babies could come through.

So although personally I would prepare for the worst, you just never know - I'm sorry you're going through this flowers My baby's due date would have been yesterday.

TirednessIsComing Fri 28-Oct-16 11:12:37

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Miscarriage is horrendous but when you have to wait around to find out it just adds an new level of awful.

Did they do an internal scan or external because of the bleeding? It's harder to see on external.

Mine was a completely missed miscarriage so I had no bleeding at all but it does sound very similar to my close friends experience when miscarrying.

I would do what someone said to me before we finally found out: prepare for the worst that way if it's the best you are delighted.

emily1875 Fri 28-Oct-16 12:33:42

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. I had an internal and external scan. They saw the pregnancy sack, but couldn't see anything inside. My dates may be off, at least that is what they said. But even if they are, they wouldn't be less than 8 weeks, I think.

OriannaBanana, sorry to hear about your loss. Did you also have to wait long for a confirmation? I really thought it would all be over one way or another yesterday when I went for the scan.

E

OrianaBanana Fri 28-Oct-16 16:17:04

Mine was quite a bit earlier than yours Emily but I was in no doubt (don't really want to go into detail). It was too early for a scan and no one at the EPU seemed terribly interested in confirming. For you, being later, there would be more (or less) to see I suppose. flowers

emily1875 Fri 28-Oct-16 16:32:34

Thanks for the response. I have had severe severe pains today and much heavier bleeding, so I think we can safely say there is no hope. sad

loveyogalovelife Fri 28-Oct-16 16:43:43

So sorry. I went through the same earlier this year and it was absolutely heartbreaking. Nothing I can say will make you feel better right now, but miscarriage is surprisingly common and most women do go on to have a healthy baby. Sending lots of love xxx

TirednessIsComing Fri 28-Oct-16 17:23:22

So sorry for your loss emily flowers. Do you have someone to support you?

griffinsss Fri 28-Oct-16 17:35:44

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you get an "official" confirmation soon so you can grieve without the lingering hope, as I know it can create extra and unnecessary pain. Sending you all my love, OPflowersflowersflowersflowers

I miscarried some years ago now but still think about my experience often, I'm saddened to hear that care and compassion hasn't improved.

SpunkyMummy Sat 29-Oct-16 11:51:13

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now