Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Keep hydrated during pregnancy!

(13 Posts)
user1471927379 Thu 27-Oct-16 07:13:55

Hi everyone. So i am 34 weeks and 3 days pregnant, i was admitted to hospital a few days ago and will be here till 37 weeks when i will be induced, was mostly admitted for massively decreased movements over the last month so i am being kept a close eye on with monitoring twice or more per day. I know it may seems very obvious but i didn't actually know how much water I should be drinking and the importance of it to my baby and myself. I have noticed i can get quite dehydrated and not even know, i would be think i am drinking enough but when i am monitored my baby's heartbeat is sky high also her movements can decrease even more because of this. If i am very dehydrated my heartrate will also be really fast, this was a suprise to me as i drink a lot of water. Her heartrate will go back to normal after a jug of water and so will mine. So just to say if you think you are drinking enough water,drink more!! Pregnant or not.smile

Scotmum83 Thu 27-Oct-16 08:20:23

Thanks for that OP it's so easy to get dehydrated through sickness and just not feeling like eating and drinking. I'm finding drinking hot (boiled) water easier to stomach than cold drinks at the mo, good for trapped wind too 😀

TheTantrumCometh Thu 27-Oct-16 08:41:16

Thank you for this. I am terrible at keeping myself hydrated at the best of times

TheTantrumCometh Thu 27-Oct-16 08:41:49

And that makes it seem like being pregnant isn't the best of times blush not what I meant!

catmombaby16 Thu 27-Oct-16 08:48:10

Thanks OP. I needed this luck up the bum this morning.

I'm 35+6 today, had a routine appointment and scan yesterday and all fine apart from protein in wee which they have sent to test. I now have a banging headache (but not sure wether that's down to not sleeping too well?) but I know I don't drink enough water blush

I'm going to up my intake as of right now.

I hope all goes ok for you!

catmombaby16 Thu 27-Oct-16 08:48:40

Luck should read KICK ha!

Helspopje Thu 27-Oct-16 08:53:26

Banging headache and protein in wee = need to go see mw today and get bp checked

paneerandpeas Thu 27-Oct-16 08:55:20

Catmombaby you should get your blood pressure checked. Protein in your urine and a headache are both signs of pre-eclampsia. I would suggest contacting you community midwife or your hospital's maternity day assessment unit.

scaevola Thu 27-Oct-16 08:58:25

Talk to the nurses and midwives about your concerns.

The normal 'correct' thing to do is drink when you are thirsty, until you are not. But as you have required inpatient admission, the normal things may not apply, hence talk to the HCPs involved in your care about your requirements. And I hope it goes well for you.

And everyone else read Ben Goldacre's "Bad Science" about the myths around hydration.

catmombaby16 Thu 27-Oct-16 09:05:13

Yeah I will do - thanks guys.

I've no other symptoms though but will call them

user1471927379 Thu 27-Oct-16 11:57:24

Oo catmombaby16 i hope all goes well for you.

Just to say i am not a midwife or anything but many have explained to me that baby will feel the effects of us being dehydrated before we will ( fast heartrate). It may work for others but drinking when i'm thirsty jusy didn't seem to be enough water lol. confused

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Thu 27-Oct-16 13:06:02

I never had any issues with movement oso I can't vouch for that but I can say that keeping hydrated is absolutely the best thing to help with sickness. Even the very best of anti sickness medication couldn't make me feel as well as being hydrated did (which is hard when you can't keep down water!)

Having a few bags of IV made me realise just how rare it was for me to feel properly hydrated and how amazing I felt when I was!

user1471927379 Thu 27-Oct-16 16:24:52

I agree, when i was given a few bags of IV i felt like a new woman. Being properly hydrated feels amazing lol! Something i thought I would saygrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now