Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

do pregnancy symptoms worsen with each pregnancy?

(14 Posts)
barleyteddy Tue 25-Oct-16 08:43:56

Hi so I am 9 weeks pregnant with number 3 and I am feeling terrible! I have 2 DS already, first pregnancy had slight nausea but nothing to moan about, 2nd pregnancy was worse with more nausea and vomiting but again managed reasonably well. I am finding this pregnancy so much worse- I am vomiting several times a day, I'm freezing a lot of the time and I'm exhausted! Work is so difficult just now!
I had read somewhere that pregnancy symptoms can worsen with each pregnancy, other people think I'm having a girl this time due to my symptoms but I'm not sure. Wondered if anyone else had experience of subsequent pregnancies being much more difficult than previous ones? And what did you end up having-same sex? Different sex? I'll be delighted with a 3rd healthy baby ( I'm a bit older now so feeling worried about health risks ) but just wondered about symptoms and gender.
Thanks

babyand Tue 25-Oct-16 08:52:23

I'm interested in this too as I am now pregnant with dc2 had and awful first pregnancy. I am now 6 weeks and not sick yet but I'm sure it's just a matter of time

worldsworstchildren Tue 25-Oct-16 08:53:23

I've also thought this. I've had 4 DC. My pregnancies have definitely got more difficult with a longer labour each time.
First 3 were all same sex. Last - and most difficult pregnancy - different sex So it could be a factor.
However I was 15 years older having my last and quite a bit heavier so I think that would probably have something to do with it too.
I know it is crap if you're throwing up all the time and you have other little ones to look after at same time flowers

LittleBearPad Tue 25-Oct-16 08:54:04

My second pregnancy was fine, very little sickness etc. I had a DD then a DS. Don't know if that made any difference.

FriendlyGhost Tue 25-Oct-16 13:38:16

My first pregnancy was awful. All day and all night nausea for almost 20 weeks, exhaustion, headaches and food aversions throughout. This pregnancy I felt sick on and off with a few really bad days but not constant sickness. I haven't had headaches and the exhaustion, nausea and food aversions stopped at 18 weeks. I had a girl last time and this one is too. I think every pregnancy is just different.

babyand Tue 25-Oct-16 13:40:04

I'm oh friendly that's music to my ears!!! Fingers crossed

Angelto5 Tue 25-Oct-16 13:41:29

I've had 5dc in 15 year period (all single pregnancies) & each was worse than the one before.
I went
Boy
Girl
Boy
Girl
Girl

One positive was the labours went quicker. smile

LHReturns Tue 25-Oct-16 14:00:25

Hi Barley!

I too am 9 weeks pregnant and DYING. Second pregnancy, my first was a DS who is now 2.5.

While I also had Hyperemesis with first son, i do not recall it cutting so deep that time. I did manage to work somewhat with him, and other than a few hospital admissions for rehydration, I made it to 14 weeks and moved on and didn't feel hugely traumatised.

This time I am totally housebound, and totally bed bound from 1pm onwards. It is effecting me mentally much more this time, and just feel physically broken.

I do believe this second pregnancy is worse (interesting to see if it's a girl). I don't think I can just put it down to being more fearful because I knew what to expect this time, or just that I am getting old (nearly 41).

Do join us on the Hyperemesis support thread if you would like to share your pain with some fellow sufferers. It helps me a great deal.

Wishing you a fast recovery from this hideous first trimester!

barleyteddy Tue 25-Oct-16 16:18:06

Hi all thanks for the replies-sounds like each pregnancy is just different then?
I'm struggling today- at work doing an 11 hour shift and have been vomiting this afternoon...aaagh!! I'm looking forward to getting home and relaxing once I get the kids to bed.
Really want first trimester to pass and hopefully these symptoms will ease then.....

GreyBird84 Tue 25-Oct-16 18:28:23

With my first I was vomiting until 18 weeks. Shattered with severe headaches. No life spent every moment not at work in bed or on the sofa.

This pregnancy I haven't actually been sick but nausea just as severe & headaches as bad. Some more general aches & pains. I've been showing since 7 weeks! Shattered again too but a toddler doesn't help that either!

alltouchedout Tue 25-Oct-16 18:38:09

I was sick with ds1 and very sick with ds2 but not at all sick with ds3. Had sciatica with ds1 & 3 but not ds2- had spd with him but not the others. Swollen legs got worse with every pregnancy though. From 32 weeks ish with ds3 I could wear slippers or fake uggs many times larger than my usual size and nothing else. My legs were so swollen that fluid leaked through my shins. Gross and scary.

Star8181 Tue 25-Oct-16 22:21:27

Hi op,
I'm exactly the same as you, third pregnancy (23 weeks) and have 2 Ds already. Each pregnancy has been tougher for me, I was only a little bit nauseous with DS1, felt pretty sick but never sick with DS2, and felt hideous with this one - very sick from day 1. I didn't find out what I'm having but I am intrigued to know whether it's a different sex or whether it's just my age!

barleyteddy Wed 26-Oct-16 08:00:25

Hi star8181, sounds like we are going through the same! Guess we'll just have to wait and see what we're having! Hopefully all you ladies having a difficult first trimester ( me included!!) will start to feel better soon!

RedCrab Wed 26-Oct-16 08:15:18

Though I do tend to think all pregnancies are different, and symptoms aren't dictated by the baby's sex even, my pregnancies have got progressively worse.

Dc1 - no sickness, just heartburn.
Dc2 - feeling sick until around 20 months.
Dc 3 and currently 17+5 - still vomiting daily envy

Hope it passes for you quickly and you feel better soon. I wonder if some of it is tiredness and with subsequent pregnancies, you can't just lie down when you need to. Pesky older children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now