Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gender Scan

(15 Posts)
user1477308145 Mon 24-Oct-16 12:28:35

I had a gender scan yesterday and got told I'm having my third boy. I feel disappointed even though I know I shouldn't and now I feel guilty. Has anyone else ever been in this situation and what did you do?

Laura05 Mon 24-Oct-16 13:00:47

Hi I just had my scan this morning. I already have one girl and one boy and I was convinced this one was a girl. Turns out it's a boy. I'm actually slightly gutted and in complete shock as my mind was set on a girl. I'm feeling guilty right now and could slap myself! Baby is perfectly healthy and my son is a lot less hard work than my madam but still I can't help but feel disappointed.
I'm sure you'll get used to the idea and excitement etc will soon kick in as I know it will for me flowers

user1477308145 Mon 24-Oct-16 13:19:32

Yes, I know you're right - I'm so happy that he's healthy and I'm sure the disappointment will ease. I just had my heart set on a girl and know this will be my last chance. Congratulations to you on your third, my two boys make great brothers.

Laura05 Mon 24-Oct-16 14:23:37

I think my disappointment is due to the fact my daughter should really have been a boy grin there's nothing girly about her at all so this was the last chance as we're definitely not having any more. In saying that there's no guarantee that another girl wouldn't turn out the same way lol
My son is so easy going and laid back so he's hoping for another calm mummy's boy!
Good luck to you hun during the rest of you're pregnancy. We're half way there!! flowers

Andbabymakesthree Mon 24-Oct-16 14:40:12

Did you have a private fetal sex scan or an NHS anomaly scan?

user1477308145 Mon 24-Oct-16 15:20:59

It was a private scan, 16 weeks +3 days.

thecatsarecrazy Mon 24-Oct-16 15:45:56

It's normal to feel disappointed. We know we shouldn't but cant help it. My dh tells everyone he doesn't care either way what our 3rd will be (haven't found out) but our 2 sons adore him and they all have the same interests and he can do more things with them. I'm desperate for a little girl not going to lie. My bil and his g.f have just had a little boy he's beautiful so if ours is a boy he will have a cousin close in age to play with. This is definitely our last I'm 35 now and feeling it this pregnancy grin

user1477308145 Mon 24-Oct-16 16:21:47

I'm the same, I my sister has a boy of 8 months so my boy will have another boy close in age to play with, and ditto on the last - I'm 32 and it's a lot harder than my first at 23!

instantly Mon 24-Oct-16 16:23:26

Does it make a difference andbaby? Is one more accurate than the other?

instantly Mon 24-Oct-16 16:24:03

Does it make a difference andbaby? Is one more accurate than the other?

lasketchup Mon 24-Oct-16 16:27:03

I would assume a private gender scan would be more accurate as that is what they're for. An NHS Anomaly scan is checking your baby is healthy. Gender is an aside.

ScandiManny Mon 24-Oct-16 17:32:45

Same situation here User. I'm 18 weeks with our 3rd and final baby and we found out a couple of weeks ago that we're having our third boy.

I'm not going to lie, I was initially disappointed. Not because he's a boy, I know I'm tremendously lucky to be having a healthy third baby, but because I'll never have a daughter and I'd convinced myself he was girl. I also felt under a huge amount of pressure from other people to produce a girl. It's pretty much been all anyone has talked about this time round. And as a result we've not actually told anyone yet, I can't face it, which makes me feel horribly guilty because it's very happy news but people were so horrid last time. When we announced ds2 was a boy a woman from my toddler group actually said 'oh no. I'd be devastated if I were you'. shock I need a bit of time to steel myself for that kind of crap first, so I don't flip my lid at the stupid people.

I think there will probably always be a tiny little bit of me that longs for a daughter but I'm so so lucky to have 3 lovely sons and I can't wait to indroduce my boys to their little brother smile

user1477308145 Mon 24-Oct-16 18:04:53

ScandiManny - You described my exact situation and feelings. Ever since I told people I was expecting my third after years of saying I wouldn't have another EVERYONE has said "I hope it's a girl." I've even joined in on it myself and I regret it now. I haven't seen anyone to have a conversation about it with yet but I'm dreading going to work and having to say it over and over with people's reactions. I'm still excited to meet my little boy, I can't wait to see what he looks like - it's not about love or not wanting this one, I've just always wanted a girl and the heart wants what it wants.

thecatsarecrazy Tue 25-Oct-16 08:39:13

Oh yes other people annoy me too. Everyone says I hope its a girl and that adds more pressure. My mil said obviously ultimately you want a healthy baby but I hope you get the girl you want and men don't understand. A neighbour said knowing your luck it will be a boy, whatever that means.

Crystal15 Tue 25-Oct-16 08:49:01

Don't feel guilty. Once your baby is born you won't remember the disappointment etc. I wanted DC2 to be a girl, well he became DS2 and I was shocked and gutted. Few days later was over it. I'm pregnant with dc3 now and I'm expecting a girl, might feel slight sadness if it's a boy but I know I will love this baby regardless. Same as Ds2 smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now