Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What was your third birth like?

(26 Posts)
RedCrab Sun 23-Oct-16 19:00:33

17 weeks with DC3.

Dc1 was an awful 40 hour induction - back to back/ episiotomy / forceps.
Dc2 - amazing water birth over six hours. No pain relief needed. Born at home.

I've heard third births can be bad. Complicated. I've only "heard" it though. I don't know if it's something people just say. Part of me just wants to say fuck it, don't be a hero, why put yourself through it, just go into hospital and ask for an epidural.

How was your third?

Afreshstartplease Sun 23-Oct-16 19:02:17

Mine was my quickest and easiest. 5 hours from first twinge. Gas n air. No stitches etc. Had had full nights sleep before hand felt totally in control and have really positive memory of it.

Veggiesupremeextracheese Sun 23-Oct-16 19:03:32

The easiest and the only one without intervention!

RedCrab Sun 23-Oct-16 19:05:31

I think irrationally part of me feels like I'm going to get unlucky and have a really hard time confused

Reassuring to hear these though - that's how I felt about my second.

gaggiagirl Sun 23-Oct-16 19:06:15

Following! I'm 35w with DC3 and have had 2 easy, quick non eventful births. What are the chances of another?

Mishaps Sun 23-Oct-16 19:06:55

Quick as a flash!!

AngelBlue12 Sun 23-Oct-16 19:07:48

Nice, easy and quick over here too

Bythebeach Sun 23-Oct-16 19:08:22

DC1 EmCS for feta distress at 5cm
DC2 9 hour VBAC
DC3 2 hours or thereabouts!

Bythebeach Sun 23-Oct-16 19:09:19

Yes and gas and air and no stitches!

mymilkshakes00 Sun 23-Oct-16 19:09:36

The quickest and least painful of the 4!

Pootlebug Sun 23-Oct-16 19:10:09

1st birth - around 32 hours first twinges to birth. Pethidine and gas and air in hospital
2nd birth - around 38 hours first twinges to birth. Pool at home no drugs
3rd birth - around 5 hours first twinges to birth. Pool at home and gas and air and easily the best birth process of the three

Icapturethecast1e Sun 23-Oct-16 19:11:05

Unfortunately my third birth was an emergency c section at 24 + weeks due to placental abruption & didn't end too well. But 4 the birth was very spontaneous. Felt no inkling at 39 wks so asked for sweep. Week later no change. Then woke up early,had breakfast cleaned house & was gonna take child to school & suddenly went into labour. Just about made it to hospital & baby born. A little scary at how fast it was but actually very straight forward birth.

YoullNeverWeeAlone Sun 23-Oct-16 19:11:31

Bit longer than 1 & 2 but they were both 5 hours start to finish so longer but not terrible - maybe 8 hours but with a slow start. Actual properly painful part was probably shorter.

Annoyingly niggly for 24 hours before it got going properly though so I was more tired and grumpy. Def my least favourite of the 3 but not in anyway horrendous.

DramaAlpaca Sun 23-Oct-16 19:12:36

My third was by far the quickest and easiest. I had a lovely, relaxed home birth with just gas & air and no stitches.

My community midwife told me anecdotally it's fourth births that can be tricky, while second and thirds are the easiest.

LoveMyPatio Sun 23-Oct-16 19:12:37

Fast!
Dc1 - induction for failure to progress and ended up with forceps.
Dc2 - 4 hours, in hospital but all natural. Tore along the episiotpmy scar.
Dc3 - on off latent labour for about 2 weeks, but then only took ONE HOUR.

LoveMyPatio Sun 23-Oct-16 19:13:35

But I tore again - worse than previous as it was just too quick

LynetteScavo Sun 23-Oct-16 19:13:43

I was told a 3rd birth would be like shelling peas.

And it was. No pain relief needed. Only phoned the midwife two hours before she was born. I thought I had hours and hours to go based on the previous two.....

lisaneedsarest Sun 23-Oct-16 19:14:08

Easiest of the 3, no stitches only a bit of gas and air as pain relief as it was pretty quick. I did think I was going to need an epidural as I was examined and midwife said I was only 4cm dilated, within a couple of mins I was in the worst pain ever and didn't think I'd be able to cope for hours, less than 10 mins later and dd was born!

weegiemum Sun 23-Oct-16 19:19:38

dd1 - 37 hour augmentation back to back ventouse nightmare! 4 days early, 9lb12oz
ds - 10 hours from waters breaking, gas&air only, simple delivery. 10 days early, 9lb3oz
dd2 - induced at 36+6 as I was very unwell. Still only took 12 hours start to finish, simple delivery (my waters only went with the last push, right in the face of the trainee obstetrician. Even at that point, I laughed!). 7lb15oz.

Undertheboredwalk Sun 23-Oct-16 19:22:31

I've had 4 births, each faster than the one before, but my third was the easiest and least painful. It was also my only home water birth despite planning for that with the last three. That definitely had something to do with it! But was around 5hrs start to finish, only properly painful for last half an hour ish. Easiest by far smile
It was however the most stoppy starty false labour annoying one. I'd been having false alarms for about two weeks before he finally turned up, it was frustrating!
Good luck! smile

SprogletsMum Sun 23-Oct-16 19:22:38

Mine was my fastest, but most painful. I was unlucky though dc3 was undiagnosed breech. I'd imagine if she'd been the right way round it would have been a breeze.

RedCrab Sun 23-Oct-16 19:51:48

Loving all these!! Oh please, please, please let it be so. Dc2 - I didn't need pain relief and was so relaxed at home in my pool. But man alive, transition was a bitch!! I felt like someone was using my pelvis as an accordion.

BrieAndChilli Sun 23-Oct-16 20:04:02

My 3rd was the worst of my labours!!
First 2 were 7 hours from very first twinge to birth, probably in hospital about 2 hours each time
3rd was about 18 hours and i was so exhausted by the end which made it seem harder.

flagnogbagnog Sun 23-Oct-16 20:10:23

My third was my worst (of 4) births. A lot to do with a terrible midwife who refused to listen to me when I said baby was coming soon. He was nearly born on the floor of a little side room. Just managed to get myself in to an examination table in time. No pain relief and he was a big baby. I hemoraged afterwards so had to go through an extremely unpleasant procedure to sort that out.

Birth1,2 and 4 were excellent.

chattygranny Thu 27-Oct-16 23:09:36

Definitely my easiest. I was on all fours and felt in control and had just some gas and air and no stitches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now