Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Possibly having am early miscarriage?

(8 Posts)
dubdurbs Sun 23-Oct-16 12:52:22

Just found out I'm pregnant, going by my dates I would be 5+wks. I've had some brown spotting, which has now turned bright red, no pain or cramps, and it's really only when I wipe. My gp said we must just wait and see, that until at least 6wks a blood test will be unreliable, and as pregnancy hormones can remain present for up to one month after a loss, we would still see a positive result.

I still have pregnancy symptoms though, my breasts are sore and much fuller than normal, I've been getting random dizzy spells, heartburn, and mild lower back ache. Sensible me knows that these could be hormone related and could dissipate if it is a miscarriage, however Emotional me has been reading up in it and sometimes bright red blood is just one of those things that can happen.

I hate not knowing what's going on with my body confused Has anyone else had similar during early pregnancy, and would you care to share your story with me? I'm generally pretty pragmatic, so the intended emotions I'm having right now are really throwing me.

Jodie1982 Sun 23-Oct-16 14:50:30

Sorry your going through this.
All you can do for now is rest and keep check on your bleeding. If it worsens and you experience bad pains a trip to a&e could help you? They can refer onto EPU etc. Hopefully it's just a case of some pregnancy bleeding that some women experience. Keeping everything crossed for you cakeflowers

ConvincingLiar Sun 23-Oct-16 14:55:08

I've had both, ie bleeding that was a miscarriage and bleeding that wasn't. It's crap, but you've just got to hang on in there. Hopefully there's a good ending to the limbo for you.

BertieBotts Sun 23-Oct-16 15:12:48

If it's only when you wipe then it could be just spotting. However if it gets heavier, it's likely to be a miscarriage.

You can go to EPU if you want to with these symptoms, it's not true that a blood test is unreliable, but you do need 2, 48 hours apart, to tell anything.

Unfortunately if you do miscarry this early there is nothing they can do, but it's worth getting checked in case it's ectopic.

dubdurbs Sun 23-Oct-16 17:48:24

There's no EPU here, so the doctor explained that it's a case of waiting to see if it progresses into a period, or if it stays the same, then test again at a later date. If I experience any pain or fever then I've to go straight back in to be checked out. I've been spotting now for two weeks, red only for the last 5, which apparently is very common. My smears aren't up to date, so if it is a miscarriage that will be the first thing I need to do before trying again.

BertieBotts Sun 23-Oct-16 20:55:13

Ah, I see. Where are you? Sorry this is happening, it's so nerve wracking. But if you've been spotting all through and it hasn't increased, that's a good sign.

dubdurbs Mon 24-Oct-16 00:07:45

I'm in Ireland. Our early maternity services are sadly lacking.

A little less spotting this evening, and still no pain or cramping so I'm feeling encouraged that it may be coming to an end.

Thanks ladies, for the support. This is my first pregnancy and I have little family around who can advise, and the one friend who has had similar was undergoing fertility treatment in another country so had a very different experience to me.

jpeg28 Tue 25-Oct-16 13:58:19

Dubs I'm sorry you're going through this. I've had bleeding that ended in MC and also bleeding that hasn't and I'm now 15 weeks. In this pregnancy I spotted for 3 weeks and have had two bright red bleeds. It may not be bad news. Must be very hard that you can't go to an EPU. Can your GP take bloods a few days apart to see if your hcg is rising?

How heavy is the bleeding? With my MC within 24 hrs it became very very heavy where as in this pregnancy it stayed pretty light.

Thinking of you. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now