Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity Allowance Claim

(12 Posts)
Bexta147 Sun 23-Oct-16 09:53:22

Has anyone claimed and started receiving their maternity allowance yet? How long did it take from sending your forms to getting you money? They received my form on 4th October and I rang around two weeks after that to say I hadn't heard anything and the bloke just laughed and said I wouldn't have at that point couldn't tell me how long etc but told me they had my form and all evidence. When I claimed in 2012/2013 it took two weeks from start to finish.
I am now left with no income and no way of getting any money. My credit card is maxed out and I have tried applying for a loan but my credit is that bad I can't even get a provident loan! I have asked parents to lend money but they have just had my bros bday then obviously got xmas coming they can't afford too.
All my bills are mounting and I can't cope with the stress. Have tried speaking to BT/cap 1 etc to explain the situation but they aren't interested and basically say I need to find a way to pay! I am in tears daily. Sick of having to ask OH for money to even just go to the shop for milk etc.
I can't believe it takes this long to sort!

MrsChrisPratt Sun 23-Oct-16 11:25:13

No idea how long it will take but why is your OH not supporting you? Have you explained the situation to him? The pregnancy is as much his doing and responsibility as yours. Presumably his income has not been affected? He should be bearing the financial responsibilities whilst you are unable to earn/waiting for your allowance. Please talk to him about this as MA is not that much and you are likely to need support throughout mat leave not just now while you're waiting on payment.

JoMalones Sun 23-Oct-16 11:29:41

It took 6 weeks, then they said I hadn't paid my Class2 NI (I had). So will be another month until it gets sorted. Currently £27 a week and that was paid 2 days later than they said too!
Have you paid your NI for year ending March 16? You only need to pay enough for your test period, the rest can be paid by January as normal.

Bexta147 Sun 23-Oct-16 12:39:31

MrsChrisPratt yes he knows the situation. He pays all the usual household bills, rent, car insurance, monthly shop etc so has nothing left either once all that's gone out. My maternity allowance will actually work out more than my wage a week because of the fact that you can pick your 13 highest weeks payslips.

JoMalones im guessing your on about self employment? I'm an employee I just don't earn enough per week to qualify for SMP.

I just don't understand why it takes so long to sort out now. Maybe I was just lucky last time. Baby will be here and I will almost be back at work by the time I have anything paid to me!

MrsChrisPratt Sun 23-Oct-16 13:29:04

Ah that's good at least he is supportive. Sounds very frustrating with the delays-how about contacting cab to see if they can help move things along if necessary?

RayofFuckingSunshine Sun 23-Oct-16 13:32:53

I waited about four weeks to hear back to say that it had been assessed and would be paid, but I applied at the earliest possible date and didn't start maternity leave until 4 weeks before my due date so it was paid as soon as my ML started. I'm sure it'll be sorted soon, in the mean time write to your creditors and explain the situation in writing, don't speak with them on the phone. Maybe speak to CAB and ask for help setting them up on a repayment plan so that the stress is dealt with longer term.

MinisWin Sun 23-Oct-16 13:52:23

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I sent my form off at the beginning of September and have been assured that it will finally be processed... By November 4th confused - so much for 2 weeks as per the website! Admittedly there was a problem with my form and had to amend something (only found out about this when I phoned up after 3 weeks of not hearing, assured I wouldn't lose my place in the processing 'queue' - turns out that's incorrect angry) so I'm now being counted as having sent it at the end of September, but that will still be 6 weeks or thereabouts. Really frustrated with the whole situation as will be over £1000 down by the time it's all paid and backdated. So from my dates I would guess yours will be processed sometime in the week after 4th November?

Bexta147 Sun 23-Oct-16 14:19:47

RayOfSunshine I am already sorting my debts. Having to get a Debt relief order as they are that bad and income is that low. But I can't send the forms off until my maternity allowance comes through as their is a £90 fee to pay.

Going to try ring again tomorrow to see if they can give me a rough idea. It's so degrading having to ask OH for money or to leave his bank card when I've worked since being 14!

MinisWin Wed 02-Nov-16 22:07:01

Bexta got my letter through about 4 days ago so looks like they're running ahead of schedule (slightly...) - hope things are sorted for you soon.

Becciilouisex3 Wed 02-Nov-16 23:09:40

They're awful! It says on the website you should get a mailed response within 24 days but it took them just over a month to get back to me. Then when you actually get your letter saying what you're entitled to, you have to send them the form back informing them of your last day at work. When they receive that form it takes around 5-10 working days for the money to go into your account.

They really are useless and it makes it worse that you can't send the form off until 26 weeks! I really hope it's as speedy as possible for you and you can have a load of stress taken off! flowers

Becciilouisex3 Wed 02-Nov-16 23:10:03

Within 14 days* sorry blush

user1480424831 Tue 29-Nov-16 15:29:06

Has anyone got the phone number?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now