Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Toxoplasmosis or Pregnancy Anxiety

(10 Posts)
GoGoGoGo Fri 21-Oct-16 12:06:45

I've freaked myself out by googling and the rational part of me feels a bit silly but....

I'm 21 weeks, over the weekend I ate a beef burger got half way through & realised it was a bit pink but checked & the juices ran clear.

Yesterday I woke up with a sore throat & was sick but due to feeling faint ...have felt fine since apart from the sore throat. Now, it is October & cold & I have a toddler with a cold so this could all be explained very easily but what are the chances I have toxoplasmosis?

MrsChrisPratt Fri 21-Oct-16 13:09:04

Honestly you are probably being 'anxious' BUT no harm in getting checked out. I would totally do the same and have been similarly anxious about many things. Sometimes there has been an issue and sometimes not but I have always been taken seriously, treated kindly and never felt like I was wasting anyone's time. Phone your midwife, they can either reassure you or test to check if required. You have got nothing to lose and everything to gain (feeling reassured or taking appropriate action) by doing so, and that's what they're there for!

DoubleCarrick Fri 21-Oct-16 13:11:22

I think the chances are quite low but there's no harm in getting the midwife to either reassure you or check you out.

Were the burgers frozen previously? I think if they've been frozen then it doesn't matter if they're pink.

Pretty sure much of the stuff to do with bbq stuff being cooked properly is about food poisoning and you'd probably know by now if it was food poisoning

GoGoGoGo Fri 21-Oct-16 13:41:20

Thanks both, I've left a message for her to call me back.

MrsChrisPratt Fri 21-Oct-16 13:42:26

Great, well done for looking after yourself, fingers crossed it's nothing and just a bit of reassurance needed! Let us know how you get on.

AButterflyLightsBesideUs Fri 21-Oct-16 15:41:44

Toxoplasmosis is generally symptomless, I've had it, so I would be fairly confident it's some other virus. But absolutely get it checked, not at all unreasonable. I hope you're feeling better and there's nothing of concern. If it was toxoplasmosis, the antibiotics they use are spiromycins, - I say this to reassure you that there is something out there to use.

crayfish Fri 21-Oct-16 19:52:45

I have cats and so was obviously worried about toxoplasmosis during my pregnancy (cat poo is a big carrier and I clean the litter tray at least once a day). My midwife was unconcerned and said that the likelihood is that I have had it before as it often has no symptoms. The fact that you have symptoms suggests to me that you most likely have a cold.

Screamer1 Fri 21-Oct-16 19:57:17

I was so paranoid about this in pregnancy. We had a kitten with a litter tray. I spoke to my midwife about my concerns and she the chances are really small, but gave me a test anyway. Just remember that the test just shows if you've had it before, not WHEN you had it so you could make yourself worry even more.

GoGoGoGo Fri 21-Oct-16 20:48:40

Thank you so much everyone...she wasn't there so waiting to call Monday.

I think from everything I've read is that beef is such a tiny risk (less than pork or lamb) and as I usually eat it rare I've probably been exposed before.

I will still chase it up but I feel a bit reassured. So much worry in pregnancy.

GoGoGoGo Mon 24-Oct-16 13:16:10

She just replied and said not to worry as the chance would be so minimal.

Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now