Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just got back a positive pregnancy test. Did anyone else feel like this...

(9 Posts)
Bex219 Thu 20-Oct-16 18:56:31

I already have a nearly 2 year old daughter and wasn't planning on having a baby so soon. I was taking the contraceptive pill but did forget to take it sometimes.

Instead of feeling happy I felt petrified. I don't want how my life is to change now, with my 2 year old and partner living together happily. I can't bring myself to feel happy about having another one. I would love another baby but cant help thinking about how it will change my perfect life right now.

Has anyone else felt like this? Did it go away and did you eventually get happy? I just don't think it's right to feel sad and upset the moment you find out the result instead of happy.

I'm pro-life so I know that abortion is an option but I'd rather not. I just want to know if this will go away.

phoenix1973 Thu 20-Oct-16 18:59:08

I felt exactly like that.

Screamer1 Thu 20-Oct-16 19:00:16

Me too. Loving it now with twoflowers

monsterbookofty Thu 20-Oct-16 19:02:34

Yep, I think it is pretty normal to feel this way. I have 3 now and have felt the same each time. Planned or unplanned!

rubberducker Thu 20-Oct-16 19:02:34

I think it's a pretty normal reaction tbh - even with a planned pregnancy so even more so when unplanned. Give yourself some time to get used to the idea and I'm sure the excitement will come. It's a change in your family dynamic, but a positive one.!There's nothing quite as lovely as seeing your first born cuddling their new baby sibling.

Lules Thu 20-Oct-16 19:11:32

My sister said that her initial reaction to both her (planned and wanted) pregnancies was 'fuck'. Really don't think it's odd. And you have 9 months to get used to the idea!

LHReturns Thu 20-Oct-16 19:16:39

Bex I have had many moments like that and my pregnancy is IVF!! Couldn't get much more expected than that yet here I am still in shock that my so special 1-to-1 relationship with my son (age 2.5) will change dramatically next year (if all continues successfully).

I totally feel for you and the shock. You have probably got your lovely life as the three of you all sorted and this will blow it out of the water again. When I feel this I just remind myself it is my BIG GIFT to my son.

Crystal15 Thu 20-Oct-16 22:00:41

Totally normal. You will grow to love this one just as much though smile

PlugUgly Thu 20-Oct-16 22:05:26

I thought there is no way I will love the next one like the first born, I didn't realise the love doubles, not halves,
You will be fine, just allow yourself a bit of time to get used to the idea smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now