Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feeling low, waiting for baby to arrive

(10 Posts)
INeedABeer Wed 19-Oct-16 11:31:31

I suffer from anxiety & depression, managed to come off my ADs during PG but struggling now I've reached end of my PG.

Everywhere says to enjoy this time chilling before the LO arrives, but I'm really not good with having lots of time and nothing to do - too much opportunity for my mind to work overtime.

I don't really have many friends around me (most have moved away) and I'm not that close to my family, and those who I am close with again have moved away. It's just DH really, but he's at work all day.

I don't really know what to do as I'm scared that big black cloud will make an appearance and this is really not the time for it...sad

LHReturns Wed 19-Oct-16 11:39:55

I know exactly what you mean OP. I can be like this. With my son I stopped my AD at about 32 weeks and was very nervous for the remaining time. I do recall walking a lot (with my ridiculous bump) which I think produced at least some endorphins. The last few weeks SUCK either way - it isn't just your mental fragility - most women find the end can't come quick enough.

I'm now 8 weeks with number 2 and will try again to stop my ADs before the birth so there are no withdrawal effects for my baby. Makes me nervous again!

Are you planning to BF? That helped my mood enormously after the birth. When I stopped BF I had to restart ADs but by then it wasn't a problem.

How many weeks are you now and is it your first?

INeedABeer Wed 19-Oct-16 12:07:41

*LH -
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'm 38 weeks with my first now and baby can't come soon enough. However I really wish I was in a happy relaxed place as I feel like baby is more likely to arrive sooner.

I am planning to BF and I'm glad to know it'll help my mood. Been going on hour long dog walks with DH when he pops home during day, but it's just before and after that I'm struggling sad

I just knew that this would happen towards the end, as I'm not great at being on my own - I miss work and people and would be there right til the end if it was feasible!

LHReturns Wed 19-Oct-16 12:16:54

I absolutely believe that BF helps where there are already underlying brain chemical imbalances (like you or me). I know of endless examples where this was the case (but it then does need to managed carefully when you stop).

38 weeks is so good!! You are doing so well. Your baby is ready and waiting. I am so envious - I am 8 weeks with Hyperemesis so trying so hard to not get extra depressed because of the sickness (I cannot leave house at the moment so I know exactly what you mean about not being good alone). I have become an active MN poster recently as I am not seeing anyone during the day. My MN friends help a lot.

You know, very soon you will never be alone again. Nothing has been better for my mental health than becoming a mother. It took time, we didn't bond quickly - but my god do I get it now (DS is 2.5).

INeedABeer Wed 19-Oct-16 12:50:04

Thank you LHReturns, nice to have some supportive comments.

Sorry to hear you're suffering from hyperemesis, I can't even imagine how you must be feeling.

Sending you flowers

Whatsername17 Wed 19-Oct-16 13:21:46

Have you looked into places you can take your baby after they are born? I went to a bump and baby club where you can go whilst your pregnant. I found being at home with a baby very isolating so it might help to plan some activities in advance.

LifeLong13 Wed 19-Oct-16 13:27:32

Hey INeedABeer I hated the last few weeks and I was in a similar position to you. Like PP said go to bump and baby groups and find your nearest breastfeeding group and go along to that too! Breastfeeding can be complex and knowing what to expect really would've helped me out! I didn't do any of these and so wish I had now. X

Honeybee79 Wed 19-Oct-16 14:07:26

You're doing really well and nearly there. I struggled with low mood in the last few weeks last time around. Am now 34 weeks with DC2 and made the decision to come off my antidepressants for the final trimester. Am doing OK as long as I keep busy and really make an effort to look after myself - am planning to fill time in the last couple of weeks with a load of boring but necessary life stuff, including optician for sight and contact lens check, dentist, hygienist, hair cut, taking DS for more of the same. Makes me feel productive and useful and kills a bit of time.

Good luck. Exercise really helps too.

positivity123 Wed 19-Oct-16 16:32:28

Hi. I'm 41 weeks today and I'm also terrible at being on my own. Me and DH came up with a list of things I need to do every day so I feel like I've achieved something and it has helped
- pop into town for a coffee
-listen to podcasts
-make chutney
- go to Ikea
Etc
It's really mundane but makes me feel like I have achieved. Hang on in there!

INeedABeer Thu 20-Oct-16 09:57:52

Thanks all.

I knew I'd get like this towards the end, and I don't have the cushioning of my ADs either which is making it harder.

Mum and baby groups are probably a good idea, but I get very anxious around new people so it's going to be hard. I need to make an effort though as I'm only going to isolate myself further.

Winter doesn't help either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now