Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does a REALLY 'BFP' mean anything?

(19 Posts)
Blueskyrain Tue 18-Oct-16 16:04:43

With a lot of 'am I pregnant' threads on here, people seem to see lines that are (to my rubbish vision), incredibly light, and I'm never convinced they are positive, and yet they are.

Is that normal with pregnancy test results? Because mine couldn't be more positive if they tried. Literally as if someone has scrubbed a thick blue marker pen down the middle of the test (or pink,I took a pink one too). My period is only 2 days late, so I'm surprised that its so strong. My initial ones 2 days ago (so day period was due) were also like that.

Does this mean anything? Presumably the stronger the hormone level the darker the line? Does it mean it might be twins?

Maybe I only see the slightly ambiguous ones, because no one needs help interpreting the marker pen ones?

Sorry, I'm angsting over everything,

LHReturns Tue 18-Oct-16 16:55:51

I think the 'squinters' are usually when someone has tested many days before they are late (or very early IVF testers).

Once you are late, using first morning urine, I would expect a fairly strong line and for it to come up more quickly. I also find the line gets darker for a few more days and then just maxes out. Of course that is linked to increasing HCG levels.

I don't think I have ever heard of this being the first sign of twins as HPTs are really very simple kits. Even the digital tests are notoriously inaccurate when measuring the weeks.

I think some would say that very high and rapidly doubling HCG beta levels tested via your blood may give some indication of twins, but that is usually only with hindsight. If you look at a chart of increasing HCG levels by day, you will see women vary SO much within totally normal pregnancies.

E.g.
www.babymed.com/hcg-blood-level-by-week-during-pregnancy-is-it-normal

Congratulations tho!

ParForTheCourses Tue 18-Oct-16 17:55:10

Not necessarily twins. Both my current pregnancy and mmc were dark positives. I didn't test early though and a lot of faint tests on here are testing early, sometimes only 9 days post ovulation!

ParForTheCourses Tue 18-Oct-16 17:55:50

And yes definitely congratulations flowers

AmeliaJack Tue 18-Oct-16 17:56:38

I have twins, my lines were normal.

The ultrasound was a bit of a shock to say the least. grin

DocMcFanjo Tue 18-Oct-16 17:59:49

Mine were always faint even a few days after period due. Different people produce varying amounts of HCG hence there's a range of "normal" levels for different stages during pregnancy.

ShowOfHands Tue 18-Oct-16 18:02:22

Hcg levels for singleton and twin pregnancies are the same this early on.

It's just very early testing which skews things.

alphabook Tue 18-Oct-16 18:08:09

Congratulations!

The squinters will be people who are testing early at about 8-10 days post ovulation. If you tested 2 days after your period was due, it's more likely to be around 16 days post ovulation, which will give you a much stronger line.

heateallthebuns Tue 18-Oct-16 18:13:21

I had ivf and v early tests. My hcg levels were full on massive!!!! And it was twins. Why not buy one of those tests that tells you the no of weeks? If it says more weeks than you know you are then maybe it is twins?

HughLauriesStubble Tue 18-Oct-16 18:17:57

I had really dark positives with dd and my current pregnancy. Both came up instantly too, no waiting 3 minutes for us! Didn't symbolise anything else though.

Chaseley Tue 18-Oct-16 18:20:34

Hiya, I tested 4 days early & had a BFP. The test was really dark too, you couldn't mistake it at all.

Blueskyrain Tue 18-Oct-16 19:04:49

Hey :-)
Thanks for the congratulations etc. Still trying to get my head around it all (am very nervous).

I tested on the day my period was due (only because I'd had a dream I was pregnant, lol), and it came up strong within about 30 seconds.

Then I tested again with a posher test (maybe I didn't have faith in the 2 for £2.99 co-op test), and it was pretty much immediate, and both were felt tip style lines. I did digital one with weeks which said 2-3 weeks which is about right, to maybe slightly high I reckon (would have been 14 days post ovulation as I get pain on ovulating, so it's very obvious).

I just did another one today because I felt paranoid as to whether I was still pregnant.

strawberrypenguin Tue 18-Oct-16 19:18:42

Congratulations. My tests came up strong and fast for both my pregnancies - both singleton no twins here!

Blueskyrain Tue 18-Oct-16 19:22:25

Hehe, probably wishful thinking then 😊
Now I'm getting my head around being pregnant, a BOGOF deal sounds amazing.

Giratina Tue 18-Oct-16 19:25:45

Mine came up with a really dark line and it wasn't twins but I was about 6 weeks pregnant before I took the test because my periods werent all that regular and a few days late was nothing.

MoonlightMojitos Tue 18-Oct-16 20:54:03

I had a quite a visible line on a cheapy ic at 9dpo but I've had an early scan and everything is fine and only one baby lol. I think implantation can vary so much so it depends when that happens. Like others have said after af is due they're usually pretty strong lines. Congrats!

Chaseley Tue 18-Oct-16 20:59:38

Funny you should say that!
I had a dream I was pregnant, gave birth to a baby boy and 2 days later I tested and it was positive!
I am now adamant he will be a boy! Finding out in 2 and a half weeks

LuchiMangsho Tue 18-Oct-16 21:00:10

I had a v clear line on a pregnancy test on the day of my period. I'm now 15 weeks pregnant. I had a MMC before and there I had tested on the day and it was a negative (I hadn't bothered squinting and looking too closely) and there was a line 4 days later. I was overjoyed but when I miscarried (baby had stopped growing at 6 weeks but we didn't know till the 12 week scan), I did think back to the negative test and wonder if it was a forewarning of some kind.

MissMooMoo Wed 19-Oct-16 10:03:36

Mine was as dark as the control line this time at 10dpo, one baby in there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now