Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I can't breathe!!

(13 Posts)
Coffeeandafag Tue 18-Oct-16 11:50:15

I'm 36+3 with dc3. I had low iron (93?) and have been on tablets for nearly two weeks, definitely feeling less tired.

However, I get so breathless, even when doing very little. I feel like my heart is doing funny things, not alarmingly so but odd feeling. Like extra beats or missing beats, and my chest feels slightly tight. I almost feel like I've run around and can't quite get enough air, though I'm not puffing and panting. I seem to do lots of big sighs. It's hard to explain, I don't feel terribly worried but not sure if this is normal - I think I remember similar with my last two but not sure I felt this incapacitated! I am doing too much though, could be my body saying slow down!

Anyone experiencing similar?

ChilliMum Tue 18-Oct-16 11:53:33

I am not a hp but that doesn't sound normal at all to me. Can you call your midwife?

Coffeeandafag Tue 18-Oct-16 11:55:43

Oh dear, I was just thinking perhaps I should. I'll give her a call now, thanks.

Coffeeandafag Tue 18-Oct-16 15:19:55

Seeing gp in a few hours, I'll report back (hopefully...confused)

ChilliMum Tue 18-Oct-16 22:56:17

I hope everything is OK op.

Coffeeandafag Tue 18-Oct-16 23:04:44

Sorry, forgot to reply - everything seems fine, all 'normal' but I feel shocking. Just cannot get enough air in my lungs. No pain, hard to explain. I've got to go back at 9 for a blood test to re-check my anaemia as it could be a large factor. Currently trying to sleep but can't comfortably lie down

Haggisfish Tue 18-Oct-16 23:10:55

I totally got this with my second especially. Had to stop every 10m or so when walking. Just squashed lungs for me-I can clearly remember the moment they removed both dc in cs and I felt my lungs move back and inflate properly-wonderful.

Itsnottheendoftheworld Tue 18-Oct-16 23:14:45

I got this really bad with my last pregnancy. I panicked and it made it worse. Iron levels were low too. I got it quite early on as well only stopped after she was born.
Midwife said it was normal. Everything pushing up into lungs low iron makes you breathless, hormones changing. You get used to it after a while. Or at least I did.

AWafferthinmint Tue 18-Oct-16 23:18:46

I've had this with my last 2 pregnancies, it was just my lungs being squished and I felt much better once the babies 'dropped'. I used to get out of breath even talking too long, it was awful sad

peanutbutter2409 Tue 18-Oct-16 23:21:58

I'm exactly the same and its anemia. It feels like a panic attack and like you can't get any air in. Take your tablets but also eat dried apricots, dark chocolate (80% cocoa) pumpkin seeds, red meat and fresh orange juice. Hope you feel better soon! X

Coffeeandafag Tue 18-Oct-16 23:33:26

Thank you - hoping baby will move down soon and iron levels will sufficiently increase then! Don't remember feeling this bad previously, but life was a bit quieter then too!

Hyland Wed 19-Oct-16 00:17:52

Me to I'm anaemic and my midwife was shocked that my iron levels was at 6.

I'm on iron tablets 3 times a day and on my 2nd months supply.

I still get breathless and feel faint if I'm warm, even the car heater will do it.

At work I have the window open whilst every other poor soul in the office freezes.

Even the radiator being on makes me feel sick and I wonder why I cant suddenly breath.

I cant stand in Ques and have to often keep sitting down whilst cooking.

I fainted a lot during my first pregnancy so this time i knew not to ignore it.

It makes you so sleepy and definitely seems like a panic attack, like you have forgotten how to breath and there is not enough oxygen in the room.

Hyland Wed 19-Oct-16 00:19:23

I'm not a vegetarian but really not a big meat eater either lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now