Advanced search

When should I tell my boss my intentions to return to work part time after ML?

(13 Posts)
Bumbleclat Sun 16-Oct-16 21:10:24

I'm planning to go off on ML on Dec 12th, then return to do my 'Keeping in touch days in late Oct 2017. Starting work November 2017 but only 2 days a week, not the 5 I currently do.
I know that I only have to negotiate this 21 days before returning but feel it would be easier for them (work) if they knew what my plans were.
Thank you.

Cherry321 Sun 16-Oct-16 21:13:33

A lot can happen in a year, organisational changes etc so I would wait and see how things pan out. You dont need to commit yet, so maybe leave it to next summer? Enjoy your ML.

Bumbleclat Sun 16-Oct-16 21:18:00

Thank you, I think you're right, I just feel bad leaving them with unknown quantities but I can tell them in September..

purplefizz26 Sun 16-Oct-16 21:18:05

Work has no obligation to give you hours different to your contract, they only legally have to consider it.

I would wait until you have to do it, so decisions are based on the situation at that time.

Bumbleclat Sun 16-Oct-16 21:19:11

Thanks, yes that's worth considering too and a reason for telling them of my wishes earlier so the money for ML hasn't completely dried up when they say no!

thatsthewayitgoes Sun 16-Oct-16 21:20:45

Yes work are not obliged to agree with your request, just to consider it. I would wait until after you've had baby but going from 5 days to 2 days is a big drop so it might be worth discussing it earlier rather than later so you have time to rethink if they don't agree to your request x

SauvignonPlonker Sun 16-Oct-16 21:23:00

If it's your first child, perhaps wait until nearer the end of your maternity leave. As others have said, there's redundancy, illness etc which can happen. And being home f/t with a baby is often very different from what you expect. You might be desperate to get back to work, or equally want to become a SAHM.

cloudyday99 Sun 16-Oct-16 21:23:09

If give them as much notice as your can, as long as you're sure. Firstly because they don't have to allow it, so if they do say no you'll have longer to consider your other options. And secondly because they're possibly more likely to say yes if they have more time to work it into their plans.

The only possible downside I can think of would be if you changed your mind, eg if you miss work more then you expect, or your DP loses a job or something

SarahMOs Sun 16-Oct-16 21:24:49

I work in HR and I'd suggest you keep your cards close to your chest at this point. As mentioned above, you'd need to submit a flexible working request and to change from 5 days to 2 days. If your employer has a good business reason to decline it then they can so do be prepared for this (there are 7 lawful reasons for declining it and TRUST me, employers can make those reasons work for them!). What kind of work do you do?

Bumbleclat Sun 16-Oct-16 21:45:20

Thank you, I'm a Teacher.

dementedpixie Sun 16-Oct-16 21:56:00

Do you not have to give up to 3 months notice for a flexible working request? I don't think it's as little as 21 days

SarahMOs Sun 16-Oct-16 22:10:46

Being a teacher would have a significant impact then if you go from 5 days to 2 days. Ultimately they couldn't just allow you to work two days a week without bringing in another teacher as part of a job share. Has anyone else done this at your school? It's always good to use past cases to help you with your request.

Bumbleclat Sun 16-Oct-16 23:06:55

dementedpixie I'll look into it. I'm happy to give three month's notice at least that's give me time to find something else if they refused and from past experience a knowing the school as I do, a job share will be more than possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now