Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bra question

(15 Posts)
Barefootcontessa84 Sun 16-Oct-16 19:45:17

I'm not sure if I'm missing something - I'm now 18 weeks and my breasts have grown probably around 2 cup sizes so far and don't seem to be stopping... I bought new bigger t-shirt type bras about 4 weeks ago which I have now grown out of.

Are there special maternity bras designed to grow with you? I can't be buying new bras every few weeks (though perhaps the size will settle a bit blush) - they are expensive!!

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Janubub Sun 16-Oct-16 19:51:51

I wish they did. Mine have gone up 5 sizes and I'm not even 3rd trimester yet. I bought new bras every 4 weeks until 24 weeks (just supermarket bras but obviously that added up pretty quickly). Then the underwiring started to cut in so went wireless but even that didn't work and I was getting sore under the boobs, so went to M&S and got some seamfree nursing bras which were a bit too big (they come in S, M, L, XL rather the bras sizes). They were NOT cheap (£32 for two). Hoping they will see me through until birth. Boob growth seems to have slowed, finally!

Between all those bras and sleep bras which I needed from 6 weeks, I've spent over £100 on bras already shockblushsad which is my annual clothing budget for my entire wardrobe! I am hoping they will serve me "down the other side".

Gardencentregroupie Sun 16-Oct-16 19:55:41

Bra extenders will help you eke out the life of your bra a bit longer, otherwise cheapo supermarket bras, plus I have some soft bras that were approximately 2 for £7 from amazon.

Top tip if you have a DC2 - I'm still breastfeeding DD, so my boobs have hardly changed size at all this pregnancy and haven't been sore grin

ConvincingLiar Sun 16-Oct-16 19:59:37

I went up 3 cup sizes in my first pregnancy and even when I started I couldn't get supermarket bras. Not much you can do really.

Barefootcontessa84 Sun 16-Oct-16 20:01:20

Thanks both - so it's a case of buying more! It's definitely an unforeseen cost!!

MotherofA Sun 16-Oct-16 23:19:03

I don't know where I came across this information but it has helped me so much !... sports bras !!
In my first pregnancy 10 years ago I had maternity bras and although comfortable they were so ugly and made me feel awful . This time I have bought a few sports bras and despite boobs being much bigger (they were originally 32dd) I am comfortable , supported and they stretch . Hope this helps!

ConvincingLiar Mon 17-Oct-16 06:39:08

It was the thing that made me test! I put on a newish dress and was alarmed that it was a bit too tight at the bust.

SparrowSG Mon 17-Oct-16 10:31:52

You can get some cheap, non wired stretchy bra tops that still have good support and will last a while ( I bought some from Peacocks for less than £5 each). The best for me though was a bra top from John Lewis (£16 I think) and this has seen me through to last week (30 wk) and now with an extender hopefully till the end. Also non wired and very soft/comfy.

Barefootcontessa84 Mon 17-Oct-16 10:53:25

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Reetpetite17 Mon 17-Oct-16 11:22:19

Before I found out I was pregnant I bought two nice new bras. Couple weeks later my boobs ballooned and I went off coffee so done a test.
Then as my boobs got bigger I bought more that fit me perfectly. For about 4 weeks. I went from 34D to 34E/EE in a month. Now I take my bra off and my boobs just hurt because they ache so much. I'm slow to take it off because it's agony. I might try some sports bras without wire! sad

I hope at least some of these bras fit me afterwards! I lost a load of weight after I had my son so boobs shrunk from my usual DD to a C cup, now I'm hoping I keep my boobs this time and don't lose too much weight!

Chloe09 Thu 20-Oct-16 23:22:47

I had to buy new bras at about 12wks and again last week at 22wks as I've gone up 3cup sizes since being pregnant!!
Each time I've gone for M&S total support non wired ones. They are lacy, fairly pretty and generous in the cup so there's room for growth. The fitter also advised me to go bigger round the back (but wear on a tighter setting) and keep my cup the same which is why they lasted a little longer I think. As you have a growth spurt just move to the next clasp.
Definitely avoid underwire though cause it's cuts into the breast tissue which is why it feels too small quicker as your boobs are changing shape as well as size!

Happy shopping!

Sunshinie Fri 21-Oct-16 10:16:17

It definitely is a cost I hadn't thought about! I get all my bras from bravissimo as I'm an odd size anyway but within a couple of weeks of testing, all my lovely new bras I bought for my honeymoon in a 28e were too small and cutting in. I went to bravissimo to get fitted and the girl was so lovely, my boobs were and still are very sore. I got two new ones in 32ff as she said the back size will need to be bigger but to keep it on the tightest hook for now. I also got a supported pyjama top which is so much better at night. It hurts if I don't wear it. However within a couple of weeks i can already see bulging over the top of my new bras so am going to have to go back and spend even more money! Apparently wires are fine as long as you keep checking they fit correctly. I can't wear a soft one as I need a lot of support otherwise even walking is uncomfortable! I may have a look at sports bras, although the ones I have for running squash everything down which is too painful at the moment. It's yet another pg problem I really hadn't thought about!

GinIsIn Fri 21-Oct-16 13:04:02

I've gone from a 32f to a 34h and am still only 26 weeks. That was actually pretty much all in the first trimester though and it seems to have stabilised since then, thank GOD!

firsttimemum20 Fri 21-Oct-16 13:36:19

I bought a couple of "maternity sleep bra's" a few months into my pregnancy and they still fit me now at 38 weeks. Their a bit like very stretchy sports bras and they are so bloody comfortable. Only cost me a tenner each - I would definitely recommend getting one.

Barefootcontessa84 Fri 21-Oct-16 13:54:50

This is great advice, thank you! Clearly my boobs are sick of expanding - horrible stretch marks have appeared in the past few days and they feel very sore and itchy blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now