Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feeling a bit... lost

(15 Posts)
LilyCat43 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:05:36

Hello ladies...

Found out on Thursday that I am pregnant for the first time, I literally have no idea what I'm doing despite having wanted this for 3 years!

I phoned my surgery and they gave me a phone appointment for yesterday. When I spoke to the doctor tbh he seemed pretty disinterested he just said he will refer me to have a letter sent out with an appt for midwife to book in.

DH has been in a google frenzy lol so he has kitted me out with vitamins etc so that's all good. I just feel like I should know what I'm doing but I really don't. A bit of limbo and hanging round I guess. Not knowing when I'll need to go and see someone is a bit frustrating.

I'm prob just having a moan, I feel so anxious and worried that it's going to go wrong! My BMI is far too high and I am plus size so that's adding to my worry!

Am I a crazy lady?? confusedconfusedconfused lol Xx

loveulotslikejellytots Sat 15-Oct-16 20:19:47

No not crazy! Pregnancy is pretty 'boring' at first when it comes to medical appointments. Here you don't even see a gp. Just go to the surgery and put your details on a list for the midwife to ring you. The booking in appointment is a bit boring too. (Sorry!)

I had a really high bmi when I found out I was pregnant than I would have liked to have been. I ate really sensibly throughout my pregnancy and ended up 2.5st lighter after I had dd than the day I found out I was pregnant. Purely down to having to cut out energy drinks, I cut out a lot of fizzy drinks, stopped having takeaways etc. So no crazy diets or particularly awful sickness.

Depending on how high your bmi is, just prepare yourself for a couple of things: I was put on a higher dose of folic acid at booking in appointment, had consultant appointments because of my weight (although I was never weighed during my pregnancy), I had some extra scans towards the end to keep an eye on dd's growth - it think this is because the tape measure measurements were always put due to me being bigger to start with. I also wasn't allowed to give birth in the MLU it had to be delivery ward. A lot of this will depend on your area and how high your bmi is, so don't take too much of this as gospel! No one ever commented on my weight though, and I was never made to feel it was a problem as such. Congratulations though!! If you've got any other questions just ask!

wowwee123 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:25:31

not really anything to do right now but if bmi is 35+ i would ring your gp and request the number of the community midwifery team then explain to them about bmi so they can prescribe the high dose folic acid.

some areas do an 'early bird' appointment around 6 - 8 weeks where u will be weighed and given info on what you cant eat as well as co2 test. actual booking in is usually 8-10 weeks then u should get first scan around 12 weeks.

so for now, apart from bmi, just relax and enjoy being pregnant.

you could download a pregnancy app, ovia is good. will calculate your due date and give you hints nd tips.

i would look on nhs guidance of what food you should steer clear off too as some arent obvious.

and finally...congratulations!

wowwee123 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:28:37

i would also have been consiultant led. think its only an extra appointment but actually i think its a good thing as you get closely monitored especially in labour. bonus!

also a gp told me that weight mostly affects maternal health which made me feel better as stupid as that sounds

Helbelle75 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:32:31

Considering the first 12 weeks is really important in terms of baby's development, there'should not much going on in the first 12 weeks! Vitamins good, eating healthily good, good balanced diet and plenty of rest.
We had booking in at 8 weeks - blood tests and medical history. Then we had a private scan at 10 weeks, NHS one at 12 and now I'm in limbo again (14 weeks), until my mw appt at 16 weeks.
Look at the antenatal boardso and see if anyone'seen started a thread yet for babies due the same time as you.
Massive congratulations by the way.

PinkyOrTank Sat 15-Oct-16 20:33:54

Congratulations! flowers
All you need to be doing for now is looking after yourself, taking vitamin D and folic acid tablets.
All I did was book to see dr, who referred me for a 'booking in' appointment, which usually happens ahead of your 12 week scan, but I'm told not always. If there is no known additional risk, I understand your booking in appointment is usually the first real contact with medical professionals.

Myusername2015 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:33:57

Oh snap I've just found out I'm pregnant and also very worried as I didn't lose the weight I should have done before pregnancy :-( I'm hoping I'm not going to get lectured about it at every opportunity or weighed in front of my husband 😳

wowwee123 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:40:13

you will be weighed at mw apt and if you opt for screening but they are discreet it is just written down i think.

fwiw my mw said people with high bmi tend to put on less weight as they are conscious of it. i know i was.

wowwee123 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:40:47

im sure there is an antenatal thread for 'plus' sized pregnancies if that is of any help to anyone.

LilyCat43 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:43:06

Thanks for your messages ladies I'm glad I'm not alone lol there's just not much to do but think about it! Lol

I had a totally spaced out day at work yesterday ;-) I know this is all prob normal just massive paranoia!!! Lol Xx

wowwee123 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:54:45

yup. i remember going to the loo and peeing through m knickers. baby brain kicks in early.

as does the tiredness and the nausea i was a lucky one, not actually sick, just felt it

spend your time enjoying yours and dps little secret and thinking to the future.

MissClarke86 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:56:46

LilyCat congratulations! Buckle up, it's exciting but it's a rollercoaster of emotions and waiting for appointments is tedious and a little bit anxiety inducing!

I'm 20 weeks now but it only seems yesterday that I got my BFP and felt like you. The first 12 weeks seem slow and you'll likely feel rough. Midwife booking in is normally before or around 10 weeks I think.
12 week scan is incredible and makes it all seem real!

I'm now anxiously trying to figure out if I'm feeling movement or not and awaiting my 20 week scan next week hoping that everything is okay.

Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

LilyCat43 Sat 15-Oct-16 22:27:16

Thanks all. I'm so glad I joined this site Xx

positivity123 Sun 16-Oct-16 10:05:30

I had a chat with my brother about this because he's a doctor and I was saying it felt strange that I wasn't seeing a doctor more often. He told me that's because I'm not ill. He said that having a baby is totally natural and that your body just gets on with it, like digesting a roast dinner. Basically look after yourself, eat well, move lots (I'm 40 weeks and feel good which I put down to the fact I walked as much as possible let every day) but most of all try and enjoy it and trust your body.
Congratulations!

MotherofA Sun 16-Oct-16 23:28:38

Try the Pregnancy Plus app , it's great ! I also bought a pre owned copy of "what to expect when you're expecting " which is a quite in depth for first timers smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now