Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please help me with morning sickness

(10 Posts)

I don't think I can do this again.
Had it awful for 20 weeks with DS, and have waited 5 years to do it again.

I'm 7 weeks and already I've spent the last 2 days in bed, can't keep anything down, and crying at the thought of this going on much longer.

I'm already regretting this pregnancy.

Please help.

And I really don't know why I continue to call it morning sickness.

UnicornPee Sat 15-Oct-16 19:38:06

Did anything work for you last time?
The only thing that helped me was to make sure I never let myself become hungry. The second I had an empty stomach I was spewing. So I ate as soon as I woke and ate little snacks through out the day.

LHReturns Sat 15-Oct-16 19:42:32

OP I am so sorry. I too had it with my DS (3 years ago - he is now 2.5), l am also 7 weeks and 2 days and suffering terribly again.

A few things:

- the girls on the Hyperemesis Support thread are all wonderful and since I joined a few days ago I have felt a psychological lift

- what is your home / work / childcare situation while you get through this? This being set up to support your time in bed is a MUST to keep your confidence in the whole process

- did you use medication to help last time? The strongest options are Ondansetron and also Prednisolone (steroids). Neither harm your baby and can do a lot to reduce or eliminate the vomiting. While the nausea remains horrible, if you are able to keep some food and liquid down, you may stay in a better mood and out of hospital. Given you have a huge phobia of all this having been there before (me too) I think you need to get one of these urgently so you start to feel stronger.

- every day will NOT be as bad as each other. Forgot about 20 weeks last time, and

- keep talking - I am between the bed and the sofa and checking here regularly. I will talk to you.

- within three weeks (around 10 weeks) your HCG hormone levels will peak, then level and then start falling - get this fixed in your mind - one day at a time until those levels have peaked, then YOU are back in control

What is your due date? Mine is 1 June....Spring babies are lovely!

MilkandAssal Sat 15-Oct-16 19:47:41

You need some HG support both here and on Facebook.

Go to your GP and ensure you have a plan of action ready including prescription anti emetics, and a back up plan for dehydration when you need to go to hospital.

I've been there three times, it's shitty, mine finishes around 22 weeks. I'm sorry you feel like this. It isn't as easy as flat drinks and ginger biscuits, sometimes you need the meds, and it won't last forever, that's a fact.

Oh you've made me cry!

Thank you, no one else seems to understand or know what to say.

Am I allowed on the hyperemesis board even if I haven't been hospitalised or anything?

I'm not due to see the midwife until the 27th but I'm going to ring Monday and tell her I'm not managing.

LHR we're due the same day!

I haven't told work yet, will do on Monday.
They're very good about lots of stuff, very flexible and understanding so I'm not worried about that.
DH leaves at 6am for 12 hours so as long as I can do drop off and collection on the worst days I should be ok. I can drop to the childminder in my pj's, she won't be bothered.

I've just realised I got a prescription last time but didn't collect it. How stupid. I got fright stories about thalidomide etc so just persevered without. I can't manage this any longer than another day or two so I'm getting a prescription. I'll just not tell the naysayers.

MilkandAssal Sat 15-Oct-16 20:17:38

Yes get your bum over to pregnancy and sickness there's a huge HG board here. Cyclizine is very good for immediate effect, I found it more effective IV instead of tablets, leaves you spaced out, tired and probably not fit for driving.

Ondanestrone again, more effective IV, but the tablets don't leave you feeling weirded out, quite costly on the NHS so put your foot down for them. When you're up to eat, start on vitamins, preferably iron. Worry not, these meds are crucial, and you may just end up with kidney failure should you get so sick you're dehydrated.

Most HG sufferers, don't just feel sick, but get huge bouts of loneliness, and worry that people think "you're making an issue out of nothing". I even went for a termination with number 3 because I couldn't cope, but I was over 12 weeks (13 at the time) and in Wales I was refused. This isn't morning sickness, and shouldn't be treated like it, and you'll get more sympathy and help and support from those that have been through it.

It's shit, but I promise you, it'll be over soon. Then you get a shiny new baby.

LHReturns Sat 15-Oct-16 20:17:54

Yeah - 1 June is a great due date!

I so agree no one else understands. My mother especially. She called this evening and pissed me off so much with some crap about how in her day you just had to 'get on with it', and how she felt especially sorry for my DH as it must be horrid for him too. Could have smacked her.

Hyperemesis Support is wonderful - women at all different stage in their pregnancies who have suffered debilitating sickness at all times of day. Some with vomiting, some just crippling nausea, some have been in hospital, some now have their meds under control so can avoid it. But they all understand what the dark tunnel feels like.

I was in hospital with my first and am committed to avoiding it this time.

Come join us there - I would love a fellow 7 weeker. And rest assured, most of us spend a lot of time in bed, lying down, with filthy hair and manky tracksuit (maybe the last bit is just me).

JaniceBattersby Sat 15-Oct-16 20:35:53

I'm towards the end of my fourth pregnancy - I've had terrible, terrible sickness in them all. All I will say is that it does get marginally easier to cope with each time because you know you won't feel like this forever and eventually it will end. Do everything you need to do to make yourself feel as well as you can. If that means constantly eating carbs (it did for me) then do that. If it means lying down all day, do that. If it means taking meds, do that.

It's fucking horrible. Awful. And so misunderstood. Always try to keep at the forefront of your mind that you will be OK eventually. And if anyone says the word ginger, tell them to shove it up their arse grin flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now