Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can you eat food made with alcohol?

(17 Posts)
Nikki2ol6 Thu 13-Oct-16 10:29:42

My mum made some beef stew but it's made from red wine! Does anyone know if this is ok ?

Ginmakesitallok Thu 13-Oct-16 10:30:20

Yes it's fine

theknackster Thu 13-Oct-16 10:32:29

That should be ok, the alcohol will have mostly evaporated.

Best swerve the vodka jelly dessert though wink

MyschoolMyrules Thu 13-Oct-16 10:33:11

Yes it's fine the alcohol evaporates during the cooking. But a very small amount of alcohol is fine anyway!

ShowOfHands Thu 13-Oct-16 10:39:09

It depends. Do you prefer to avoid alcohol entirely? Some alcohol evaporates during cooking but it depends upon how something is cooked and for how long. It's almost certainly safe to eat but if your preferences tend towards zero alcohol, you might prefer not to eat it. Otherwise, tuck in. It's perfect stew weather.

Nikki2ol6 Thu 13-Oct-16 11:06:07

I don't mind a tiny amount at all but I wouldn't have a glass of red wine that's for sure as aslong as it's not that amount

MyBreadIsEggy Thu 13-Oct-16 11:08:31

Alcohol boils at a lower temperature than water, so majority of the alcohol is evaporated during cooking and just leaves the flavour behind smile it will be fine!

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Thu 13-Oct-16 11:12:07

The alcohol doesn't all evaporate while cooking. Quite a bit gets left . The paper and new scientist article the figures are in are paywalled but here's a summary
www.businessinsider.com/can-food-cooked-with-alcohol-make-you-drunk?r=UK&IR=T&IR=T

dalmatianmad Thu 13-Oct-16 11:14:19

It will be absolutely fine! You can have a small amount of alcohol when pregnant!

SaltedCaramelEverything Thu 13-Oct-16 12:57:10

I'm not drinking alcohol, but have had beef in a red wine stew as like PPs have said, it's such a tiny amount if anything at all

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Thu 13-Oct-16 16:33:16

It doesn't all evaporate!

Dozer Thu 13-Oct-16 16:34:57

Why are you so worried about small quantities of alcohol?

weegiemum Thu 13-Oct-16 17:15:02

Im sure quite a lot of folk here will go "what????" As we were pregnant 10 years ago when the advice was "1-2 units 1-2 times a week" and I think k it's none now? I certainly drank at a low level after 12 weeks and also while breastfeeding (was advised by FIL who was one of the biggest authorities on alcohol in pg in the 80s). I think I'd drink less these days. But I'm not sure how many babies suffered from a glass of red o. Friday night and I think the "none" advice is to stop the ones who would drink lots.
So I'd say a stew with partially evaporated wine is totally fine. But that's just my old lush of an opinion !

Letsgetreadytorumbleagain Thu 13-Oct-16 17:28:38

A beef stew would, I imagine, be cooked for a couple of hours. Which would mean that only a small amount (5-10%) of alcohol would remain. Which then shared amongst all those eating it would mean that it would be a very small amount of alcohol

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Thu 13-Oct-16 21:06:27

Yes it's a small amount. But if you'd prefer to avoid it altogether then you might not want to.
Op asked if any alcohol was left (to which the answer is yes)

Letsgetreadytorumbleagain Thu 13-Oct-16 21:24:10

No she asked if it was ok to eat.

GinIsIn Thu 13-Oct-16 21:35:38

The amount of alcohol left in a portion of, say, stew or spag bol, assuming it has been cooked for 40 mins plus at a medium temperature is less than a teaspoon. Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now