Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy and B12 deficiency

(3 Posts)
WoopWoop200 Wed 12-Oct-16 10:31:42

Hello,

I am looking for a bit of advice please.

I am only about 5 weeks pregnant and found out last week.
On the same day that i found out i was going to ring the doctor to get tested for B12 deficiency, but forgot in all the excitement. I have quite a few of the symptoms and its been going on for a few years but didn't know what it was and i don't go to the doctors often.
Now i am not sure whether to wait for all the usual pregnancy appointments to get it checked out as i know they take bloods at some point, or should i flag it up sooner.
Thoughts please?

Thanks in advance xx

AnneLovesGilbert Wed 12-Oct-16 17:47:28

I have this and get 10-weekly jabs for it. Makes such a world of difference to my energy levels. I asked my GP whether to carry on through her for usual monitoring as I may need more frequent injections, or to liaise with the midwife and she was adamant that as it's a pre-existing condition they want to keep on it and the midwife team can check my levels as well but the GP wasn't happy to leave it to them.

I had two full lots of bloods in two weeks, one for the midwife/hospital and one for the GP and it'll carry on like that. The midwives seem geared towards looking after the baby, while my GP mainly cares about me - in a good way!

Flag it up with the GP asap and get them to run your bloods. Check for anything similar you might be low in e.g. Ferritin. If you need B12 injections get them as quickly as you can, you'll feel so different. When they start giving you them it'll probably be a booster dose of a jab a week for several week to get your levels up. Some people only need the booster dose, so you'll get checked again to see if you retain it. But if, like me, you can't absorb it any other way, you'll keep getting injections every 12 weeks or so and it's really no hassle at all.

Big congrats on your pregnancy! You really need to look after yourself now so get back to the doc! smile

WoopWoop200 Thu 13-Oct-16 12:51:02

Thanks smile

I will get myself down to the docs and get it sorted. A bit more energy would be lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now