Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Need lots of advice

(24 Posts)
Mommytobe2017 Mon 10-Oct-16 22:10:36

A few days ago I found out that I was pregnant. About 4 weeks ish. grin

I went to the docs today and I was told that I didn't need to see the doc and that I had to see the midwife at 8 weeks.

I have no idea what I'm doing, this is my first pregnancy.
I have 1000 questions for them and now I have to wait like 3 weeks
One thing I need to know now is do I take folic acid? I have read that you should take it up to 12 weeks but bcus I'm not seeing the midwife till 8th nov I can't ask

Help!
hmm

NeverAShadowOfDoubt Mon 10-Oct-16 22:14:49

Congratulations! flowers

Yes you do need folic acid. I took a Boots own brand one with Vitamin D included but obviously others are available.

PotteringAlong Mon 10-Oct-16 22:16:37

Yes, take folic acid.

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/pregnancy-and-baby-care.aspx

The NHS pregnancy pages will tell you what food to avoid etc

Mommytobe2017 Mon 10-Oct-16 22:33:54

Thank you!

I'm so anxious to find out if I'm doing the right thing.

I find it strange that the first 12 weeks are the most crucial yet I can't be seen till week 8? hmm

astormgivenflesh Mon 10-Oct-16 22:42:59

Hey!! I'm in the same boat - 9 weeks now and haven't seen a dr since 5 weeks so feel completely adrift and at the mercy of Google!

Happy to help each other and be baby buddies!!

So far I'm exhausted and can't move for nausea but I'm excited! I have a chronic illness so don't know if the cramps and pain are part of that (stopped taking meds as soon as I found out I was pregnant) or just normal!?

Congratulations!! smilesmile

nennyrainbow Mon 10-Oct-16 22:43:50

Congratulations!
Yes, start taking the folic acid now, one a day. And check before you take any other supplements unless they're specifically designed for pregnancy, or any medicines. Paracetemol is ok, but most medicines are advised against in pregnancy. And no alcohol!

Mommytobe2017 Tue 11-Oct-16 07:22:11

Thank you grin

It would be nice to have a buddy!

I'll go to boots today.

Should I have seen the doctor already? The only way I know is from taking a home test and the fact that I've had absolutely no signs of my period.

Well I had a little cramping last week and took some ibuprofen shock

I know you're not supposed to take it.

I'm finding this difficult already!

neonrainbow Tue 11-Oct-16 07:25:05

No you don't need to see a doctor to confirm the pregnancy. Don't take any ibuprofen i was told paracetamol only and then take the least dose you can.

Mommytobe2017 Tue 11-Oct-16 07:35:39

Btw when I took the ibuprofen I didn't know I was pregnant.

I'm so scared to do or eat or take anything now blush

BeardMinge Tue 11-Oct-16 09:23:33

It's fine. One dose of ibruprofen when you're barely pregnant isn't going to do you any harm.

It's not rocket science - don't drink, don't smoke, and take folic acid & vit D or a specific pregnancy vitamin. Look at the NHS website for advice on foods to avoid, but keep the risks in perspective.

You say the first 12 weeks are the most crucial, but ultimately if a pregnancy fails in the first trimester, as many do, there is nothing really a GP can do about it, it's just one of those things.

It's a tough wait, never will twelve weeks go so slowly, but it'll be worth it.

astormgivenflesh Tue 11-Oct-16 10:51:06

I made an apt as soon as I found out and went along and dr said that was a good idea. I got given form to complete for maternity exemption certificate, chose my hospital and started process of getting a midwife. Blood pressure and weight checks. She then told me I'd be 'left alone' until 10 weeks which at the time seemed like years but is next week now!

I was terrified about miscarriage, she reassured me that 75% of miscarriages occur before you even get a positive preg test and not to worry! Easier said than done!
She also gave me a form to go get a dating scan done. Lots of calm already mums happy to wait until 12 weeks to see a dr but I'm so glad I didn't as I would have driven myself crazy!

PotteringAlong Tue 11-Oct-16 11:19:30

they won't confirm your pregnancy until your 12 week scan - home pregnancy tests are so accurate you don't need any more confirmation!

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 11-Oct-16 11:29:33

Sorry your Dr was a bit rubbish. It varies from place to place whether you need to see your GP or not - in some areas you just self-refer to the midwife for your booking in appointment.

In my area they want you to see the GP first - but all they do is:

-check you basically OK/happy (that it is a wanted pregnancy, no major pre-existing health problems that need monitoring)

-remind you to start taking a folic acid supplement if you are not already

-remind you not to drink or smoke and to check NHS website for what foods to avoid).

Mommytobe2017 Tue 11-Oct-16 21:47:38

Thank you for all of your help and advice! :D

I had a meeting today with my line manager about risk assessments because I work within the Science department of a college. I'm feeling more comfortable now while I'm there so I'm able to get on without thinking about it.

I got my folic acid, the one with vit D from boots smile

Having some cramping today but it's nothing compared to my PMT so I'm not missing my period aha :D

I slept like a baby last night, the first full nights sleep since I found out smile

astormgivenflesh Wed 12-Oct-16 17:08:13

Also bit odd that ppl are saying about no Drs until 12 weeks - I just spoke to my hospital and have my first midwife meeting this week bc they need to see me before 10 weeks apparently?! Not sure why but I'm going in on Saturday!

PotteringAlong Wed 12-Oct-16 17:13:47

It's not no dr's before 12 weeks - in lots of areas (mine for example) you don't need to see a dr at all in your entire pregnancy.

They often don't do booking in appointments before 8 weeks because of the risk of miscarriage before then. They need to see you before 12 weeks though because they need to schedule your 12 week scan.

If your DP / DH is not going with you to your booking in appointment then make sure you know his family medical history!

Mommytobe2017 Wed 12-Oct-16 17:25:33

I found the receptionist to be extremely rude about it. It was as if I should know that already.

My DP is going with me so that's a relief

I'm pretty sure the home tests say to contact or see your GP?

hmm
grin

All I need to worry about now is not being sick!! Aha.

LuchiMangsho Wed 12-Oct-16 17:58:59

Booking in appointments are between 8-10 weeks as many pregnancies do fail before that. Sorry to be a bit harsh, but that's the logic.
Not sure what one needs the doctor for at this stage- take folic acid, don't smoke and drink. That's pretty much it. Be careful of what medication you take.
Your GP will begin the process of hospital referrals. You will have a thorough booking in appointment where they will take your blood, check your urine and enquirer about your family history.
Then a scan at 12 weeks. Another at 20 weeks. And various midwife appointments.

Yes the first 12 weeks are critical for the foetus but in the absence of problems like bleeding/pain there is not much a doctor or medical professional can do.

Mommytobe2017 Wed 12-Oct-16 19:26:22

I understand now and I'm feeling better about it. Just got to be careful and get on with it smile

user1466690252 Wed 12-Oct-16 19:31:55

What the poster said before. It sounds harsh, but many pregnancies dont last.the first 12 weeks so tgey do kinda leave you to it. I was upset that noone I saw called it "baby" for along time its fetus. He was perfectly fine. Unfortunatly i suffererd a loss in my next pregnancy and I do totally understand why they dont let you get so excited. 3rd pregnancy is currently snoring on my chest so dont worry. But calm down a little bit. Its all very exciting but take folic acid and use common sense but kinda forget about it for now. I know thats easier said than done. Good luck and congratulations

user1466690252 Wed 12-Oct-16 19:34:04

Also i wouldn't bother taking dp to your booking appointment. Its basically form filling and sometimes they give you the forms to take home and drop back in. Nothing happens untill scans

sb12985 Wed 12-Oct-16 21:42:41

Where I live they split your first midwife appointment in two, the first part is a group one with other pregnant ladies where they talk to you about diet, and the dangers of smoking and alcohol. The second appointment is the actual booking one with your midwife, which I have next week when I'll be 8 weeks.

Mommytobe2017 Sat 15-Oct-16 17:43:40

I am getting so exhausted already. I've had a really long week at work. Can't wait for half term smile

Having more cramps too. Not too bad. Feels like mild period pains.

I'm excited now. Can't wait to see if we'll be having a girl or boy smile Long time till then

Bella1985 Sat 15-Oct-16 19:40:41

I think the key thing from what everyone has said is the process is different wherever you are so if you're unsure of what happens next and what you need to do - ask your surgery or midwife, ignore it if they make you feel silly for asking, it is much better to ask than be sat at home wondering if you've missed anything!

I'm a first timer (29 weeks now) and have felt the same: no idea what is meant to happen and where to go! at the 1st scan at hospital they gave about 6 instructions in one go - do this, then go to this desk to book this and see the person at another desk for that and so on and so on...DH was with me and looked equally confused so I just asked midwife to repeat everything again slowly and I wrote it all down. she laughs at me when I turn up with my little notebook to appointments but I think they're so busy and see so many women they forget that it's a whole new experience for some of us!

Congrats on the good news! As others have mentioned - NHS website is brilliant, lots of useful pages there. Just remember, if you're in Scotland, Wales or NI the nhs is slightly different to England (eg I'm in Wales and realised that they don't test for pataus and edwards syndrome here only down syndrome so I was a bit dissappointed with that) but most of the info on the website has been spot on and some handy video guides and tutorials by midwives too.

Good luck with your pregnancy, and take a look in the antenatal thread for a discussion board to meet others due same month as you- that's a really handy support group!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now