Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

C-section or Vbac

(13 Posts)
Kogelsby Sun 09-Oct-16 17:46:58

Hi,

My son was born by emergency c-section. My waters broke before contractions started. I was induced at hospital with a drip but after 12 hours of contractions coming fast but not powerful enough I got to only 1cm. After having my c-section they informed me my son was back-to-back so probably a big factor to why I didn't progress.

Now 1 and half years later I'm pregnant with baby no. 2, only 12 weeks and starting to panic about my decisions.

I know a few people who have had vbac's but 5 or so years later on after previous c-section. I'm scared as I've read stories of bladder being damaged from being stuck to uterus after having another section. I'm torn to know what to do for the best.

My scar has healed but to touch in places I don't have 100% feeling.

Please help with your experiences.

wineapotamus Sun 09-Oct-16 19:10:03

Wow your story is exactly the same as mine! That big back to back baby is now 5 and I'm due in Feb. I'm almost def going to have a elcs because I felt v traumatised after the birth and was on the edge of my mental health for a while. I can't risk having that again, I want to make the baby's birth a very positive experience for my little boy. Also I recovered well and quite frankly found labour really scary, so not keen to do it again. It is, of course, totally up to you, and I'm know there are lots of good reasons for vbac, but that's the way I'm heading at the moment. Loads of luck whatever you decide. Don't be pushed into anything you aren't confident to do. flowers

talulahbelle Sun 09-Oct-16 19:12:25

I had an ELCS for my first for medical reasons, I'm now nearly 9 weeks pregnant with number two. I'm torn between another CS, or asking for a VBAC. Both options seem equally scary right now.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Sun 09-Oct-16 19:21:36

I was in your position with my second child OP.
The way it was explained to me: the risks of Elc and Vbac were roughly the same, so they were happy to leave the decision to me.
My health board prefers not to induce if there's been a previous c-section so will do Elc as an alternative if you go too far overdue. After say, 2 weeks, I think they would have been insistent on an Elc.
I made a personal choice to have an Elc at 41 weeks and was very happy with the birth. Overall the whole process is much calmer and nicer when its not an emergency. So don't be too put off if your last experience was traumatic. Happy to answer any questions. smile

Honeybee79 Sun 09-Oct-16 19:41:45

I'm in a v similar position. DS was a big back to back baby and although I got to the point of being fully dilated I pushed for 2 hrs and he didn't descend. They tried forceps and ventouse then did an EMCS.

Consultant is letting me wait until about 36 weeks when they'll do final scan and have a better idea of size and position.

You know, I change my mind on an almost daily basis. Today I have bee thinking ELCS. The only thing that makes me hesitate about another section is the recovery time.

Starwarsorbaby Sun 09-Oct-16 19:55:12

Hi. I had 2 sections last year. Emergency in January and planned in December. I'm due again in March and I'm so confused as to what to do! I really want to try a vbac, but doctors are against it. I have worries about vbac and a section.

I hated the recovery time after my sections. I don't know what it's like to go into labour, but obviously it's been very recent that I've had the surgery and I'm worried about complications from a vbac.

Sorry, I can't help you, but wanted to share my story. Good luck whatever you decide. I have no idea what I'll do in the end.

Starwarsorbaby Sun 09-Oct-16 19:57:07

Just wanted to add, I wish I had done a vabc in December, but I was scared at the time. I think if I had done it vbac, I would be allowed to do it this time without fears and worries from doctors.

stillrocking Sun 09-Oct-16 20:06:09

I ummed and ahhed about this for ages. Emcs with first - got fully dilated and pushed for 1.5 hours before he got into distress and they realised that he was back to back and stuck. Second time around, I wanted to be out of hospital asap and mobile as poss for older child, but absolutely terrified!! In the end I decided to book myself in for elective at 41 weeks and let nature decide before that. She did and I ended up having a vbac at 38 weeks. Labour was fine and half I experienced it. However, 3rd degree tear meant having a spinal anyway and being stitched up in theatre and kept in!! Before baby, that was my worst nightmare, but actually, it was fine and recovery was quicker than my emcs in terms of being up and about quicker.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Sun 09-Oct-16 20:36:49

"In the end I decided to book myself in for elective at 41 weeks and let nature decide before that."

That was what I did. Bit of a fudge but all worked out ok!

Mummyme87 Sun 09-Oct-16 20:43:18

I was induced, got to 9cm, had an infection, lost a fair amount of blood and need transfused, DS ended up in NNU for almost two weeks due to meningitis. Shitty time. However, will definitely go for VBaC next time. Very personal decision I think

dazzlingdeborahrose Sun 09-Oct-16 20:52:38

Hmmm, it's a very personal decision. I had EMCS after 36 hours of labour with my first. With my second I went straight for elective CS. I have to say it was a fabulous experience and laid to rest a lot of demons from my first birth. Could yo go for a trial of labour with a section if you hadn't progressed after a set number of hours?

Kogelsby Mon 10-Oct-16 19:25:01

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for sharing all your stories. I'm just so unsure. I'm UK based and don't know what I need to ask the consultant or if I can request a late scan to check babies position. I think it's such a big decision to make.

stillrocking Tue 11-Oct-16 20:11:09

What helped me slightly, even though I still fudged decision in the end, was to have a "birth choices" appointment with a consultant midwife at the hospital. This is something offered by my health board where they get the old notes from your first birth and go through them in detail with you so you properly understand why you ended up with a emcs and what your choices are this time and chances of a successful vbac. Was really useful for me as found out things about my first birth that I had no clue about and she was very reassuring that, as I'd got to fully dilated, my body clearly could do that and we went through how he got stuck last time so they agreed to check position regularly the second time around. Might be worth checking if they do anything similar in your area?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now